Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

suspension expert please come in

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard of JRZ either. Along, did you consider the Penske's?

Curious about the Truechoice product, are any of the 350Z offerings monotube? Performance Nissan's choice to go away from Moton doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but who know's what could be at play as to why, I highly doubt it was because of dissatisfaction with the performance of the Moton's.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:35 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I heard was that the Truechoice were about 1 second a lap quicker than the Motons......from the Truechoice rep.

I'm sure a lot of.......BS is taking place, BUT.......the Truechoice set-up looked GREAT!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 AM
ALong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EnthuZ, TCKline is a big Koni dealer, so of course, he has Konis, he has the 2810 aluminum body race shocks. aprox $1000 each which IMHO is way too much for 10+ year old technology....

Gsedan 35, Penske does not have anything available for the 350Z currently. There have been some people that have taken off the shelf Penske's and modified them to fit the 350Z but nothing from Penske yet and when I talked to them they told me next year. Also, other draw back (to what has been modified to fit the 350Z) was that they were only single (rebound) adjustable, I wanted a double adjustable.

EnthuZ, I doubt the new Koni are 1 second per lap quicker than the Motons.....If they are you will see everyone who is using Moton, JRZ etc use Koni by the end of the year...
Old 10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
daveh

The koni's on the Perf Nissan race cars are not even close to the koni's that we would be using. Even if I could afford the race shock there is no way I would want to use it on a street car. Anyone under the semi-pro level wouldn't truely be able to realize the difference.
The offereing from True choice will be the koni sport (yellow) modified to be a double adjustable. That means it will be a twin tube design.
I'm really suprised that more companies haven't released track setups. You would think that the Z would be a good market. I've spoken with Tein and Ground Control and they have no plans for developing race setups for the cars.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
GY-Z

this thread is getting interesting,
keep me updated on your JRZ Along.
Ps. does your shop in seattle do conner balance?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:54 PM
ALong

GYZ, yes they do corner balancing. Colin, the shop manager and suspension expert is one of the best alignment/suspension set up people around. Worth the trip to have him set your car up. Since you do a lot of track events with your car I would have him do the corner weighting with you sitting in the drivers seat, also I would make sure you have around 1/2 tank of gas.

I'll give you an update on the JRZ's as I get more info, they emailed us last week and it sounds like they are just waiting for a few parts to be machined and they should be ready to assemble, time frame wise, they should arrive sometime middle of November (depending upon US Customs).

It has taken forever because I am waiting for double adjustable (rebound/compression) (with no remote resevoir), they have been able to build single adjustables for the 350z since July/August, but have been testing and working on the double adjustables since then. They built some prototypes (for a Porsche) and tested them and the results were very good, just changed a few small things and they should be ready soon. Crappy thing for me is it has taken so long but as soon as my set is made you should be able to order a set and have them within 3weeks!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:05 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must have missed it, but what shop in Seattle are you guys referring to? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:34 PM
GY-Z

do you mind to ask me how much will it cost for me and pm the price?
i dont think i'll be able to make to seattle soon, because i am going to stop paying my car's insurance until next event i have.
and i'll need those bucket seats for my first local track event.but thanks for your offer for the Recaro or Sparco racing seat.
but i really want to do the conner balance when i am going to pacific raceway next year. so i'd be really appreciate if you ask the price of the conner balance for me.
and it takes very for you JRZ to arrive indeed, but it should be worth the waiting men. i'd like to seat in the car to feel the valving if its possible men!
thanks

Originally posted by ALong
GYZ, yes they do corner balancing. Colin, the shop manager and suspension expert is one of the best alignment/suspension set up people around. Worth the trip to have him set your car up. Since you do a lot of track events with your car I would have him do the corner weighting with you sitting in the drivers seat, also I would make sure you have around 1/2 tank of gas.

I'll give you an update on the JRZ's as I get more info, they emailed us last week and it sounds like they are just waiting for a few parts to be machined and they should be ready to assemble, time frame wise, they should arrive sometime middle of November (depending upon US Customs).

It has taken forever because I am waiting for double adjustable (rebound/compression) (with no remote resevoir), they have been able to build single adjustables for the 350z since July/August, but have been testing and working on the double adjustables since then. They built some prototypes (for a Porsche) and tested them and the results were very good, just changed a few small things and they should be ready soon. Crappy thing for me is it has taken so long but as soon as my set is made you should be able to order a set and have them within 3weeks!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by xswl0931
I must have missed it, but what shop in Seattle are you guys referring to? Thanks.
i think ALong is referring to Speedware if i remembered right.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:50 PM
ALong

GY-Z, I'll find out tommorow (Saturday) how much a corner weight balance is, dont forget that corner weighting affects the alignment and you need to do an alignment afterwards. I'll get you a price on both.

You should make the trip down to check out the seats, they can also ship them to you, check out their website, www.speedwaremotorsports.com.

As soon as the car is done and the Shocks are in it I will let you know, if you want to come down and test drive it, you are more than welcome to drive it and see what you think, one thing you need to know is that it will have 625lb front springs and 700lb rear springs so it may ride a little stiff..... I am hoping that the car is together and actually driveable by sometime in December....but then again I thought it would be done in July! Anyway, it should be done within the next 2 months.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:59 AM
GY-Z

GY-Z, I'll find out tommorow (Saturday) how much a corner weight balance is, dont forget that corner weighting affects the alignment and you need to do an alignment afterwards. I'll get you a price on both.

You should make the trip down to check out the seats, they can also ship them to you, check out their website, www.speedwaremotorsports.com.

As soon as the car is done and the Shocks are in it I will let you know, if you want to come down and test drive it, you are more than welcome to drive it and see what you think, one thing you need to know is that it will have 625lb front springs and 700lb rear springs so it may ride a little stiff..... I am hoping that the car is together and actually driveable by sometime in December....but then again I thought it would be done in July! Anyway, it should be done within the next 2 months.
thanks men, i'll see what i can do with the seats.
and thanks again for your offer of driving your car, but dont really felt comfortable driving other people's car in case something bad happens.just ride in the car will be good enough to at least have an idea on the valving setup.
keep me updated on the conner balance and the JRZ.
thanks men
Old 10-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one thing you need to know is that it will have 625lb front springs and 700lb rear springs so it may ride a little stiff.....
Stiffness is up their, Tein Flex is actually stiffer in the front and we do see a few people compain about harshness with them, though no where near the number of Jic coilover users.

Working the numbers I get, F +99% R +105% on your setup. The Tein Flex is 672/672 F+114% R+98

Do you now if your spring rates are going to be the standard rates for all production Truechoice coilovers, or did you spec yours to that stiffness?

Since the Truechoice's use modified Koni shocks, they're a twin tube, correct?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:45 PM
ALong

GSedan35,
Not using Truechoice Konis. The car will have JRZ shocks and Nissan Competition springs rated at 625lb front and 700lb rear. JRZ is valving the shocks to match the spring rates, have no idea what rate they are using for the valving (I figure they are smart enought to figure that out themselves....). The shocks will be both rebound and compression adjustable, with 12 positions for each, so the handling can be fine tuned.

GYZ,
sorry I was unable to find time to call SpeedWare today (I am working today (Saturday) and it was absolutely crazy busy. Anyway I will get back to you on this next week....
Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 PM
GY-Z

GSedan35,
Not using Truechoice Konis. The car will have JRZ shocks and Nissan Competition springs rated at 625lb front and 700lb rear. JRZ is valving the shocks to match the spring rates, have no idea what rate they are using for the valving (I figure they are smart enought to figure that out themselves....). The shocks will be both rebound and compression adjustable, with 12 positions for each, so the handling can be fine tuned.

GYZ,
sorry I was unable to find time to call SpeedWare today (I am working today (Saturday) and it was absolutely crazy busy. Anyway I will get back to you on this next week....
so any news on the price?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:08 AM
ALong

GYZ,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Speedware charges $100 for corner weight balance and depending upon the number of adjustment points on your suspension $90-150 for the alignment. Call Adam or Andrew if you want to schedule this 425-869-5680, they are open on Saturdays also (if this makes it easier to come down).

Let me know if you come down
Old 10-29-2004, 07:03 AM
John

Whoa, I had no idea JRZ was making a damper for our application! JRZs are pretty much found on every winning Porsche and Bimmer in most series...

ALong, are these double-adjustable remote reservoir deals? Any dyno charts available? I'd like to see what kind of bump (compression) these have to offer since my JICs suck *** in that department. Rebound is ok, but they mask the mediocre valving (at low speeds for the most part) with high spring rates.

Also, do I dare ask how much the JRZs are going to cost? Perhaps you could send me a PM...
Old 10-29-2004, 07:40 AM
daveh

Originally posted by John
Whoa, I had no idea JRZ was making a damper for our application! JRZs are pretty much found on every winning Porsche and Bimmer in most series...

ALong, are these double-adjustable remote reservoir deals? Any dyno charts available? I'd like to see what kind of bump (compression) these have to offer since my JICs suck *** in that department. Rebound is ok, but they mask the mediocre valving (at low speeds for the most part) with high spring rates.

Also, do I dare ask how much the JRZs are going to cost? Perhaps you could send me a PM...
Please pm me too.
Dave

Also worth noting, a while back I spoke with BJ at 350 evo and he said he was working on a moton club sport package. He was figuring out where to mount the external reservior on a stock Z. I wonder how that's coming along. I think he said it would be priced in the low 3k range. I know a lot of the porsche club racers are using these.

Last edited by daveh; 10-29-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:31 PM
ALong

The double adjustables that I am waiting for are NON remote resevoir, they can build remote resevoir shocks for it already. The delay is building the double adjustable without the bump can. They should be ready within the next couple of weeks. As far as price goes, I dont know how much they are costing me, I have a sponsorship arrangment with JRZ so I am getting them at a heavily reduced cost, the retail should be somewhere around $3200 (from what they were telling us) I would not expect them to be more than $3500.

As far as valving goes, they can build anything you want, just tell them what spring rates you are using and what the application is. We told them what spring rates we are using and letting them build the shocks to work with the springs. Also Compression and Rebound are both adjustable, with 12 adjustments for each.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:27 AM
John

Do they have any shock dynos?
Old 10-30-2004, 10:51 AM
ALong

John,
if you want Shock Dyno graphs I would suggest contacting The Racers Group, they are the NorthAmerican Distributor for JRZ.

Alex

Quick Reply: suspension expert please come in