Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
View Poll Results: Coil/springs...which brand?
Tein S. tech
39.29%
Eibach Pro Kit
27.98%
Hotchkis sport coil spring
26.79%
Espelir GT Springs
5.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Tein S. tech, Eibach PRO Kit, Hotchkis sport springs, Espelir GT Springs....???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tein S. tech, Eibach PRO Kit, Hotchkis sport springs, Espelir GT Springs....???

ADVICE...?

I wasn't going to drop my Z until I saw a bunch of dropped Zs at a meet last weekend. The cars that interested me were dropped a little less than 1". This sparked interest because the cars brought on that Porsche and M3 look. Not slammed at all. I don't want to break the bank and I don't want my alignment messed up either. The readjusting equipment is to expensive for me and the following springs will cost me $200 or less plus the cost of realignment. The following brands also have a clause of 5mm or less sag over the years. Another reason why I don't want more than an 1" drop.
I talked to some people that said they used some of the following brand springs and they were able to use the OEM suspension parts to bring it back into alignment. My question to you guys, does the data provided look accurate and which would you choose?

I was considering four different brands of coils/springs.

Tein S. tech-- (F_.7") and (R_.6")___$147

Eibach PRO Kit--(F_1") and (R_1")__$209

Hotchkis sport springs--(F_.56") and (R_.75")__$196

Espelir GT Springs--(F_.375") and (R_.375)__$196

Thanks,
Zquicksilver
Old 10-05-2004, 11:57 AM
kzshin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used RSR Ti2000 titanium lower springs. 0.6" all around.

Tein S. Tech, will make your Z look nice, but it's not a real performance spring. it's spring for style (They say it themself on the ad.)

Eibach Pro kit. Most Eibach spring for sale in the US, is made in US, not German, so the quality is a bit different compare to German counter parts. Eibach spring also weight more than other JDM spring. Pluis, there are peopl who has alignment issue with Eibach.

Hotchkis. Who are they??? never seen their spring or products on Le Man, JGTC, WRC, or any other professional racing team.

Never had Espelir GT before, so dunno how good it is, but according to your data, it's not low enough for me. (only 0.3????)
Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Vash350Z

Hotchkis makes some of the best suspension products money can buy.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:51 AM
shinz

the drop on my S-tech was a bit disappointing, i guess i was expecting a little bit more of a drop. Could be just mine, but the rear looks like it didn't move at all from stock, the front however, after settling lowered a bit.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally posted by kzshin
I used RSR Ti2000 titanium lower springs. 0.6" all around.

Tein S. Tech, will make your Z look nice, but it's not a real performance spring. it's spring for style (They say it themself on the ad.)

Eibach Pro kit. Most Eibach spring for sale in the US, is made in US, not German, so the quality is a bit different compare to German counter parts. Eibach spring also weight more than other JDM spring. Pluis, there are peopl who has alignment issue with Eibach.

Hotchkis. Who are they??? never seen their spring or products on Le Man, JGTC, WRC, or any other professional racing team.

Never had Espelir GT before, so dunno how good it is, but according to your data, it's not low enough for me. (only 0.3????)

Thanks for the info...

The RSR are great springs from what I hear. The Hotchkis products are great and the sway bars are incredible from what I hear also... I like the Hotchkis springs because they supposably even out the Z. A little more drop in the back compared to the front. And " if " they sag over the next few years I won't be over an 1".

I'm still contemplating on what to buy. I need more info
Old 10-08-2004, 05:41 AM
nexstage350

i also have plans on lowering my Z. I do like the s tech, eibach, and the hotchkis, but what is your take on tanabe GF springs? i hear good things about them. if anyone has any opion on them, pls hit me up.. thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Zquicksilver

Many springs are good, but only a few offer something close to a (0.5") drop. The tanabe GF are way more than an 1", if that's what you want??

Here is a link with fairly decent prices on all the springs above and more. A good place to compare products. Just found it

http://www.hopupracing.com/suspension.html
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 AM
kzshin

Hotchkis makes some of the best suspension products money can buy.
No, they are not. They just have good price that's all.

Seriously, compare to Eibach and other that were metioned. Hotchkis products were virtually unseen on serious professional race car. I am sure they don't have research and devlopment funds and team like Espeiler, Eibach, Tein or RS-R does.

I am very very picky at performance parts, so maybe it's good enough for most people but not for me.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:12 PM
bwzabodyn

RS*R springs not only offer the optimal amount of drop, imo, they also are the most performance oriented springs available currently - If I decide against coilovers, I'm definitely going to be getting the RS*R Springs for the 350Z (on my G35 coupe though)
Old 10-08-2004, 08:02 PM
350Zteve

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
RS*R springs not only offer the optimal amount of drop, imo, they also are the most performance oriented springs available currently
How do figure that? RS*R springs are exaclty the same rates as the stock springs, EXACTLY the same.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:53 PM
SponGer

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
RS*R springs not only offer the optimal amount of drop, imo, they also are the most performance oriented springs available currently - If I decide against coilovers, I'm definitely going to be getting the RS*R Springs for the 350Z (on my G35 coupe though)
I've heard that 350Z springs on a G will drop the G an additional .5". For instance, 350Z springs with advertised drop of .5" will actually drop the G 1". Any truth to that?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:01 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by SponG
I've heard that 350Z springs on a G will drop the G an additional .5". For instance, 350Z springs with advertised drop of .5" will actually drop the G 1". Any truth to that?
g will b lower for sure, since its heavier.
but i have no idea if this is true or not.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:45 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by Zquicksilver
Many springs are good, but only a few offer something close to a (0.5") drop. The tanabe GF are way more than an 1", if that's what you want??

Here is a link with fairly decent prices on all the springs above and more. A good place to compare products. Just found it

http://www.hopupracing.com/suspension.html
yeah i want a 1.5 drop on my ride.... i am really interested in the tanabe gf springs, but are they good springs? i think there is a couple of guys on this fourm that is rolling on those springs. i just heard that they are pretty good, but pretty low..

well if anyone else has any take on the tanabe gf springs drop me a line. hey thanks for your help.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by 350Zteve
RS*R springs are exaclty the same rates as the stock springs, EXACTLY the same.

No, that's incorrect. And I am to blame for your saying that, so it's cool. When I first looked into what the oem spring rates, I made the mistake of having someone else to the rate math. Turn's out my friend was wrong. I found out my error and did a post where I corrected myself. Trouble is the original in error rate date is still floating around, take your post for instance. Again, that's my fault.

The correct oem 350Z spring rates are
314/342

To add further, Hotchkis is on record on their web site saying that the oem rates are 310/350, we are close enough to each other to confirm each other. The difference between us can be explained by normal +or- coilover spring rate testor error.

RSR 350Z springs (just a wee bit progressive F&R, maybe one coil is progressive)
345/417 F+10% R+22%
Transfers +12% roll stiffness to rear

Hotchkis 350Z springs (linear springs)
340/330 F+8% R-3%
Transfers +12% roll stiffness to front
Old 10-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by SponG
Yes that is fact. Talking about the G coupe, of course NOT the G sedan.

Here's how I know. Perviously it was understood that oem G coupe and oem 350Z springs were the same, but as I now know, they're not. I had a chance to help a friend install oem coupe springs and 350Z Tokico D-spec shocks (not G35 coupe D-specs) on his G35 sedan. When you run oem 350Z springs on the sedan, you get a 1" drop, yet with the coupe springs on the sedan, you get a 1/2" drop. Meaning any aftermarket 350Z spring that is run on a G35 coupe will net you a additional 1/2" of drop.

G35 coupe springs do have the same spring rate as oem 350Z springs, that much has not changed, both are 314/342.

350Z 314/342
G35 coupe 314/342
G35 sedan with sport suspension 314/342
G35 sedan non sport *283/309
*can't find my data sheet quickly, memory tells me their were 10% softer then the sport suspension so that's what I show.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:47 PM
SponGer

Gsedan35, I'll take your word for it. There are others on G35driva.com that said Z springs will drop the G an addl 1/2".
Old 10-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Vash350Z

Originally posted by kzshin
No, they are not. They just have good price that's all.

Seriously, compare to Eibach and other that were metioned. Hotchkis products were virtually unseen on serious professional race car. I am sure they don't have research and devlopment funds and team like Espeiler, Eibach, Tein or RS-R does.

I am very very picky at performance parts, so maybe it's good enough for most people but not for me.
Maybe you should do some more research.

Companies like hotchkis dont need to advertise, their products speak for themselves, IMO it takes a pretty great company to make F-bodies handle like ferarris, and then make a stock engined celica shatter track records, and blaze the ZO6 and the 911T on the track, and they arent cheap.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 AM
kzshin

and when do you see their spring on BTCC, DTM, WRC, Le Man, JGTC or manufacture sponsored race car????

it' a great company, but not so great compare to companies like Eibach, RS-R, Espiler, H&R, or Tein.

Regarding blaze Z06 and the 911T. if that Porche is build by Gemballa or Tech art, and Z06 is built by Callaway, that Hotchiks celica won't stand a chance. However, if it's a RS-R supra or Espeliar Supra, then it will be an interesting race.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Vash350Z

Hotchkis will sell you the exact same parts they put on their race cars, you know they are gonna work. The only other company listed that will do that is Tein, and thats not cheap.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
kzshin

of course they are going to work, in fact all of them are going to work. For example, Eibach springs has been used on F1, Le Man, WRC, they have to work. Otherwise why will race teams used their parts. (you don't see hotchiks spring on any F1 or WRC teams)

And HotChkis's race car are is not like Manufacture professional sponsored race car which they always kept their secret on spring rates and all suspension components due to the tough competitions. We are talking about the best of the best here. And that's why Tein's race part is not cheap.

let me give you some analogies.

Eibach (or others I mentioned) to Hotchikis is like:

WRC Prodrive Subaru WRX to Vishu WRX
Volk Racing wheels to R1 wheels
Greddy Exhaust to Dynomax
........ etc.

Quick Reply: Tein S. tech, Eibach PRO Kit, Hotchkis sport springs, Espelir GT Springs....???