Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Powersurge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Brake Upgrades

When you upgrade your brakes to a big brake kit I see that a lot of them are sold for the fronts only. When people upgrade their brakes do they buy kits for the front and back or do they just paint the back calipers to match the new front ones?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
J Ritt

Powersurge,
A rear kit is not necessary in most cases. Before you do anything, read these 2 articles:

Rear upgrades:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...tter120601.htm

Brake Balance:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...erformance.htm

Now, the Z is a bit of a special case however, in that it uses a lot more rear brake than most other platforms. If you retain the stock rear base brakes and frequently track the car, you will need to replace the pads quite frequently. Fortunately, they are quite cheap. If you don't track your car, your rear pads will hold up fine, and the rear brakes will be more for looks than anything else on the Z.
The key is understanding the articles I posted above. Balance in the system is critical. If you go with a front-only kit, you need to make sure that the pistons in the caliper are sized properly and tested.
For my personal Z, I run our 332mm front kit that retails for $1995. I have the stock rear enthusiast brakes. I just swap the pads out as I burn through them, since I track my car quite often.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like me to get you in touch with one of authorized resellers.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
JDMautoworks

i don't think a rear is necessary........more for looks unless you have the huge power to need it......

with fronts you can already notice a difference.......
Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 PM
zredline

Originally posted by J Ritt
Powersurge,
A rear kit is not necessary in most cases. Before you do anything, read these 2 articles:

Rear upgrades:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...tter120601.htm

Brake Balance:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...erformance.htm

Now, the Z is a bit of a special case however, in that it uses a lot more rear brake than most other platforms. If you retain the stock rear base brakes and frequently track the car, you will need to replace the pads quite frequently. Fortunately, they are quite cheap. If you don't track your car, your rear pads will hold up fine, and the rear brakes will be more for looks than anything else on the Z.
The key is understanding the articles I posted above. Balance in the system is critical. If you go with a front-only kit, you need to make sure that the pistons in the caliper are sized properly and tested.
For my personal Z, I run our 332mm front kit that retails for $1995. I have the stock rear enthusiast brakes. I just swap the pads out as I burn through them, since I track my car quite often.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like me to get you in touch with one of authorized resellers.

Does the StopTech front BBK fit under the enthusiast stock 17" rim?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
J Ritt

Our 332mm front kit will fit under the stock 17"s, as will our rear 328mm kit. Here are the part #'s and prices:

StopTech front wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Nissan 350Z. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 332x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front brake lines, and Axxis Ultimate front brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. This kit fits under the stock wheels.

$1995.00 - Item No. 83-646-4600

StopTech four wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Nissan 350Z. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, ST-22 2-piston opposed billet rear calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 332x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 328x28mm slotted, floating, rear AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front and rear brake lines, Axxis Ultimate front brake pads, and Hawk HPS rear brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. This kit fits under the stock wheels.

$4290.00 - Item No. 83-646-4623
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by JDMautoworks
i don't think a rear is necessary........more for looks unless you have the huge power to need it......

with fronts you can already notice a difference.......
I agree. I have both the front and rear 13" StopTech kits. I had the front kit by itself first. The front kit makes a huge difference in braking over the stock non Brembo setup. You have to experience it to really appreciate the difference it makes.

When I added the rear kit I noticed very little additional improvement in braking although I know it greatly improves resistance to fade in the rear and prolongs rear pad life. It also looks good. However, unless you plan on tracking your car or you have big FI horsepower, you probably don't need the rear kit. If I had to do it again I probably would have painted my rear calipers and upgraded the rear lines and pads so I could have spent the rest of the cost of the kit on other upgrades.

By the way I did make an educated decision about the rear kit and I knew what the pros and cons of it where when I got it. I also got it at a very good price from the same vendor that I purcahsed the front kit from. I am by no means trying to say that the rear StopTech kit is not worth it. It is a very good product and like anything else has its place and purpose. It is just more brake than most people need for street use since the font kit does 90% of the work. A StopTech front BBK is one of the best investments you can make to upgrade your non Track model Z. The front StopTech BBK gives you as good or better braking performance as the Track model has with its four wheel Brembo setup.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by J Ritt
Our 332mm front kit will fit under the stock 17"s, as will our rear 328mm kit. Here are the part #'s and prices:

StopTech front wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Nissan 350Z. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 332x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front brake lines, and Axxis Ultimate front brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. This kit fits under the stock wheels.

$1995.00 - Item No. 83-646-4600

StopTech four wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Nissan 350Z. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, ST-22 2-piston opposed billet rear calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 332x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 328x28mm slotted, floating, rear AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front and rear brake lines, Axxis Ultimate front brake pads, and Hawk HPS rear brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. This kit fits under the stock wheels.

$4290.00 - Item No. 83-646-4623
A lot of good info on the Z. However would this also translate over to an 04 G with the OEM 18" wheels? Also what's the largest you could go and still clear the 18s?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
C Ray Z

Default Here is another Brake option

I have installed and tracked the 350zbrakes set that use Wilwood 6 pot front and 4 pot rear. I have four track days on the set and the pads are only half worn. Response is great. I have now driven them in the rain and no issue with the shields cut out. I am very happy with overall system and reccomend this kit as it is very affordable, $3500. The nice part is also they fit 17inch wheels.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
J Ritt

GZire,
Yes, same story for the 04 G35. You can put our 355mm kit under the 18"s. That is a 14" rotor, and is the biggest kit we offer for this platform. Trust me, you don't need anything bigger than that!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks J Ritt.