Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Let's talk spring applications: To squat or not to squat

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 AM
zpeed350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk spring applications: To squat or not to squat

I am a relative newb to suspension, but have been doing lots of reading lately. In particular, I have been reading alot on the effects of springs on a cars ability to hook up and launch better.

Yes, a lowered and stiffened suspension will lower your car's COG and decrease body roll creating a better handling car.

But I came across something interesting and wanted to discuss it. Basically, it was discussing spring stiffness and it's effects on a car's contact patch.

It said basically that a softer spring will absorb the car's weight transfer FIRST. Since the spring is abosrbing this force, this results in LESS force being applied from the tire to the ground.

By running a stiff spring. The spring absorbs less of that force from the weight transfer, putting more force on the tire to the ground. Creating a larger contact patch than in the example above.

Basically it confused me at first, because you would think a softer spring would let the car squat better...creating a larger contact patch and better hook up. But after thinking about it, a stiffer spring applies more force to the tires to the ground than a softer one.

With that said, it would now see that from a launch stiff springs should apply the most force between the tires and the ground.

So this would mean for a drag appliction, a stiffer spring would result better contact patch during a launch.

This contradicts all of the nay-sayer's of stiff springs for a drag appliction.

NOW DISCUSS! (**take from SNL**)
Old 10-27-2004, 09:33 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that the fastest drag cars have no squat whatsoever. The car should rear up like a horse on its hind end without sinking and go forward with the weight of the car balanced on the rear tires. The car should almost be pulling a wheelie with the weight transfered back to the tires without jolting them into wheel hop. So a pretty tight spring with perfect dampening gives you the best launch. Sorry for the horse analogy but that was the best I could come up with.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 AM
zpeed350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense. So stiffer springs are actually better for a drag applictaion than softer ones? For example RSR Ti's vs. Hotchkis.