Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lowering my car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
performwheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my car!

Hey guys! I heard that an alternative to buying new springs is just shortening your stock oem springs by cutting them a bit with a grinder. Is this a very bad idea?! Should I not even consider?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

For the love of God, sell your car and buy a Civic.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

NO you should never cut your springs it will affect the spring rate of the spring and you will get a harsh unbalanced ride. Their is a bump stop mod you can do in the rear to drop it a bit if that is what you are talking about. I have springs + the bump stop mod.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah............just heat them with a torch and let them sag to the right height
Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
_NIZMO_

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Being cheap when moding a car normally leads to things getting ****ed up.

Buy a set of springs from the classified section and call it a day.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Musto

why would someone buy a 20,000 dollar car and not have 150 bucks for some springs if they really wanted them?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 AM
DRELOC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z's are getting cheaper and falls into the hands of teenagers so it didn't surprise me when i see threads like this.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haz dem stok spryngs cuts... and I am hitting teh apexe on teh corner where main streets and hillside st intersectsionts every thime.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 AM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by performwheels
Hey guys! I heard that an alternative to buying new springs is just shortening your stock oem springs by cutting them a bit with a grinder. Is this a very bad idea?! Should I not even consider?
you can also get a good look at a t bone by sticking your head up a cows ***, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea (paraphrasing from a movie

Yes, its a very bad, very unsafe idea. Aftermarket springs are not expensive, and are worthwhile (tons of threads out there to cover which ones are recommended)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 AM
RrBb2004

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you can also get a good look at a t bone by sticking your head up a cows ***, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea (paraphrasing from a movie

Yes, its a very bad, very unsafe idea. Aftermarket springs are not expensive, and are worthwhile (tons of threads out there to cover which ones are recommended)
"you can get a good look at a butchers ***...no thats not right."

Cutting the spings is a horrible idea. The only thing that drop will be good for is making the car look low when it is motionless. Horrible idea for a civic or a Z.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lolololol
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
performwheels

Hmmm... Makes sense... Thanks for those who actually helped... All of you that didn't, can laugh all you want while spending all your money on your car and in a few years when you're broke with no savings or no investments then I will be the one laughing at all you financially senseless car freaks.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Hmmm... Makes sense... Thanks for those who actually helped... All of you that didn't, can laugh all you want while spending all your money on your car and in a few years when you're broke with no savings or no investments then I will be the one laughing at all you financially senseless car freaks.
WOW, but i do agree with you to some extent. Mods cost money, but many of us don't let out cars take away from our futures.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

Actually, the line is from Tommy Boy. It goes:
"You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ***, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

<---Can quote the entire movie in his sleep.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 PM
mrg1981

Who is going to be broke after spending a few bucks on springs? Hopefully, nobody is that short sighted. They may have been a bit harsh, but they have a valid point. You are going to mess up a nice car if you take that route. It is going to hurt you more financially than paying for a decent set of springs. I'd go full coil over if you are thinking you'll ever upgrade for handling.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

Which is easy for you to say, your parents are covering your car payment, your insurance payment, and hell probably even your gas money. The least you could do is bum another 100 bucks off of them and buy some damn springs you cheap baztard. Don't come on here talking shyt to people with your level of inexperience, and hell, your lack of intelligence when it comes to modding your new car. You asked for advice, when you easily could have searched, yet WE'RE at fault when we pass you useful information? GTFO...

Welcome to the forum
Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer
Which is easy for you to say, your parents are covering your car payment, your insurance payment, and hell probably even your gas money. The least you could do is bum another 100 bucks off of them and buy some damn springs you cheap baztard. Don't come on here talking shyt to people with your level of inexperience, and hell, your lack of intelligence when it comes to modding your new car. You asked for advice, when you easily could have searched, yet WE'RE at fault when we pass you useful information? GTFO...

Welcome to the forum
Does it ever occur to any of you "lifers" that ppl that are new to this forum haven't properly mastered the search function and possibly don't know the proper etiquette to try searching before posting? I don't agree with his comments, but I can admit that I'm not an expert at searching on here after several years. Maybe just tell newbies that they should use the search function for a topic and read up before they post.

/rant. Nothing personal, I love you Eric!

Quick Reply: Lowering my car!