Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Z and gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:17 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gas Prices

Two comments:
1. We had a major gas line break between Phoenix and Tucson and gas prices went WAY over 3.50 for 87. That was a while back, while I was in my 96 Ram Sport 1500 (10 mi/gal). I almost cried. Also, the wait was about 2 hrs to get gas at most stations, since they all kept running out. Kinda makes you realize how fragile our economy is.
2. A family friend refines the crude oil and sells it to ARCO. He also owns several AM/PM's. He told us that there is NO significant difference between the different octane ratings as far as a consumers should be concerned. He even told my parents to use 87 in their 03 vette. I started using 87 in my pickup, but I'm afraid to keep using it in my Z. What do you guys think? Is the octane rating a way to make extra cash or is there a significant, measurable difference?

P.S. Excederin Migraine and Regular Excederin are identical, but migraine costs more...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 AM
FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Two comments:
1. We had a major gas line break between Phoenix and Tucson and gas prices went WAY over 3.50 for 87. That was a while back, while I was in my 96 Ram Sport 1500 (10 mi/gal). I almost cried. Also, the wait was about 2 hrs to get gas at most stations, since they all kept running out. Kinda makes you realize how fragile our economy is.
2. A family friend refines the crude oil and sells it to ARCO. He also owns several AM/PM's. He told us that there is NO significant difference between the different octane ratings as far as a consumers should be concerned. He even told my parents to use 87 in their 03 vette. I started using 87 in my pickup, but I'm afraid to keep using it in my Z. What do you guys think? Is the octane rating a way to make extra cash or is there a significant, measurable difference?

P.S. Excederin Migraine and Regular Excederin are identical, but migraine costs more...
Thats crazy! If you used 87 you would get "knock" and your motor would detonate. Your car would run with less performance. If I used 87 gas my motor might blow (the way its tuned).

motor 87 gas

Last edited by FairladyZ; 03-17-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Fiction520

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Two comments:

I remember that gas line break. I was working for Southwest Gas at the time as a drafter and all sorts of new regulations came into effect that even all the natural gas companies needed to follow. Prices here in Tucson didn't shoot up as bad as they did north of us.

Octane makes a significant difference in high compression, high timing advance engines. Cars like that will detonate without a higher octane gas. An f150 won't feel an advantage with high octane gas but if you take a high compression engine like an Integra Type R, a turbo car like an Eclipse, or our Z cars, you will feel a difference. And in high temperature conditions, under low load, you might hear some detonation. Not a good thing. Pony up the pennies and run the 91 (or 03 depending where you are). It's all better in the long run and cheap insurance.

Without a doubt the gas prices are rediculous right now. The Z gets nothing other than Chevron 91 which is typically more expensive than most places. I don't know if it makes a difference but I believe the hype. My CRX was stolen about a month ago and was just recovered. I'm glad to get it back along with its 32mpg. That will be nice.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:26 AM
hypeiv

According to my vette buddy... 87 octane in a C5 vette is ok b/c the ECU will adjust for it. You will lose performance though. Premium is only .18 cents more a gallon which is $1 more per 100 miles of driving (assuming 18mpg w/ both premium and regular... i would be willing to bet you get worse mileage on regular). If you can't swing that extra buck every 100 miles maybe you got the wrong car.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 AM
ANXIOUZ

There is definitely a double-standard for trucks/SUV's vs. sports cars. I had a Ford Escape (MPG in the mid 20's city, 30 hwy) and people always gave me a hard time for driving it because my wife and I don't have kids. I sold it when I got the Z.

The other day some co-workers were talking about how expensive gas was and I said "I have to buy premium" and nobody blinked. They were either (1) sick of me talking about my car or (2) unconcerned because it was a car and not an SUV.

BTW, premium here is $2.35 and rising.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by maximZ
The other day some co-workers were talking about how expensive gas was and I said "I have to buy premium" and nobody blinked. They were either (1) sick of me talking about my car or (2) unconcerned because it was a car and not an SUV.

BTW, premium here is $2.35 and rising.
lol when I said that one said "I would NEVER!! buy a car that requires premium" (he gets 13 mpg on his truck btw) But this is the guy thats always talking about how great the new mustang is and how he wants one. He never talks about the speed though he says "if it can do 75 on the freeway thats all I care about". When I asked if he would get the v6 or the GT he said the GT b/c the v6 looks weird w/o the fog lights. So he doesn't know jack about cars really... just hates imports so give me a hard time when ever he can. (he is about 1000 times less annoying than the lightning guy at work that I complain about on this forum all the time)
Old 03-17-2005, 08:06 AM
L337350

i pay 2.50+ here in LA for 91 octane... i remember not too long ago it went below 2.00, but now it's back up

i average around $45 for a fillup
Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
desiZ

I just saw on the news last nite that the price is gonna keep going up with no signs of going down EVER!.. apparently this is a permanent rise (not like the ones affected by the iraq war etc).. by summer, rates in socal are going to be $3 and up.. and they aren't going down... the only way the govt here is helping is by telling people to use public transport (ugh)... or rideshare(now thats cool)...
Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by hypeiv
When I asked if he would get the v6 or the GT he said the GT b/c the v6 looks weird w/o the fog lights.
ROFL.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM
FairladyZ

Originally Posted by maximZ
ROFL.
Whats so funny about that statement? So the guy wants to buy a GT because he likes the way it looks better. Whats wrong with that?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 AM
CaneZMD

Get used to it, they won't be going down, probably ever. It's kind of like the stock market where it goes up and down, but the overall trend is always up.

Oil is running out, there are only X amount of barrels in the world and we're using them up pretty quick. (Now, there are 100 billion more barrels in ANWAR Alaska, if congress, er democrats, would only allow drilling) Just google "peak oil". It basically states that production, worldwide, has peaked and is only going to decline from here on out. The largest well in Saudi Arabia is 50 year old, and they're pumping sea water into it to maintain production. I really think that's why toyota hasn't made a new supra, I think they're focusing on hybrids because they believe the whole market will be there in 5-10 years.

All that aside, premium (93) is running 2.32 or so in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. With the SC, it's premium all the way. That's $46 bucks to fill the Z's 20 gallon tank.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Built2shredZ

hehe ya Trucks get the worse gas milleage of the bunch. Its funny there raggin on you for having a sports car when your cost per mile is cheaper... Personaly I hate trucks (with the exception if you need one for work).. They don't fit in the parking spaces as the the average parking stall was made for cars not trucks.. You can't see anything because 9/10 times they raise there trucks another 12"-24" in the air. And most idiots who drive one, think there driving a sports car, even tho they can't handle or stop like a sports car... Don't know how many times i've seen guys in trucks lock up there breaks because they come up behind someone to fast and don't realize a truck takes longer to stop because of its weight.... Not to mention the bigger trucks tear up the streets with there 6000 lbs curb weight...

It's funny because most residential streets do not allow trucks over a certain weight to drive down there streets. So according to law these guys who own Hummers and other full size trucks are not allowed to drive down these streets, so most of these guys technically should not be able to drive to there houses... Unfornantly cops don't enforce this law...
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Personaly I hate trucks (with the exception if you need one for work)..
yep this is just texas though. The first day I showed up to work with my Z everyone was like "wow your spending a lot of money" and "man we must be paying you too much". If I showed up with a f150 that costs $5-$10k more they all would have just said "nice truck ya got ther"
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Camel

My Xterra gets like 16-18 mpg so that makes the Z look practical. Premium is only a waste when your car isn't tuned to use it. I always have to laugh when I see someone driving a $30k+ car asking if they can use regular instead of premium that the car calls for. The difference is like ~$1.50 per TANK
Old 03-17-2005, 11:18 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by CaneZMD
Get used to it, they won't be going down, probably ever. It's kind of like the stock market where it goes up and down, but the overall trend is always up.

Oil is running out, there are only X amount of barrels in the world and we're using them up pretty quick. (Now, there are 100 billion more barrels in ANWAR Alaska, if congress, er democrats, would only allow drilling) Just google "peak oil". It basically states that production, worldwide, has peaked and is only going to decline from here on out. The largest well in Saudi Arabia is 50 year old, and they're pumping sea water into it to maintain production. I really think that's why toyota hasn't made a new supra, I think they're focusing on hybrids because they believe the whole market will be there in 5-10 years.

All that aside, premium (93) is running 2.32 or so in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. With the SC, it's premium all the way. That's $46 bucks to fill the Z's 20 gallon tank.
They have approved it as of yesterday, however we won't see any of that oil from alaska for another 7 years...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Sr. Panza

I filled up with premium yesterday for $2.59/gal. It came out to somewhere above 43.00. Not a nice feeling.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:49 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by 2004z
2.17 for premium?!

Wow, that's cheap!!!
LOL! Yea, I just paid 2.49 yesterday! Oh, and I have an Expedition too. That gas guzzling beast stays in the garage as much as possible. It does run on 87 oct though. I've never put anything but premium in my Z's.

It seems to be going up at an average of 3 to 5 cents a day over the last 2 weeks. I expect we'll be paying over 3 bucks by late spring (before Memeorial Day).

Last edited by bixby; 03-17-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by FairladyZ
Whats so funny about that statement? So the guy wants to buy a GT because he likes the way it looks better. Whats wrong with that?
$5000 is a lot of money for a set of fog lights (since he doesn't care about the speed)... And I'M the one with the unpractical car
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by hypeiv
$5000 is a lot of money for a set of fog lights (since he doesn't care about the speed)... And I'M the one with the unpractical car
And a back seat too! Sort of.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Destiny350Z

I filled up last night it cost me $29.57.. I was like d@mn...but then I remembered that I was almost on E and then I thought to myself... It could be worse!!

Quick Reply: Z and gas prices