Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a Z through CarMax

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:40 PM
JP_WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Z through CarMax

Hey everybody, need some info on this subject and this is the best place to get it. I currently have an 02 WRX and will be purchasing a used 04 or 05 Z soon. My Dad recently bought a vehicle from CarMax and swears it's the way to go, especially when buying used.

So, just wanted to ask if any of you have purchased your Z through CarMax, or any car for that matter. Overall thoughts on the prices/short term/long term service/experience, etc.? Thanks for all your input!

FYI my other option would be to wait until just before the 06's come out (Sept-Dec?) and grab an 05 Z off the Nissan dealership. Anyone do this and get a great deal as well?

Thanks! Hope to be posting as an owner soon!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
TChachas

An old roommate did that sometime last year. (Purchased '03 Z through CarMax.) My sis also recently purchased an '02 Lexus in Feb. Be VERY careful with pricing, as my sis paid about $3000 more than she should have IMO and had a very hard time negotiating via email/phone calls/etc. My bud with the Z had no problems whatsoever though, so I guess it all depends on your ability to pick out what is reasonable and not. Good luck on your search! (Just an extra opinion: Wait for the '06's to come out and get an '05 Z around Dec. Helped a friend do that with her Z last year and financially it worked out great.)
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 AM
donricouga

Wait till December and get and 05' model. Plus interest rates tend to be lower on new cars rather than used ones.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 AM
jdifolco

I got my SB 04 Z at CarMax in Delaware last June for 27,xxx They have good customer service. I live in NJ and drove down and my sales guy came in on his day off. I would recommend them just remember if your coming from out of state you have your own sales tax. I forgot to account for that
Old 04-26-2005, 05:30 AM
pgh2atl

I bought my '03 SB Touring from CarMax back in December here in Atlanta. Good service & no haggling over prices. I felt the price was reasonable & I like the fact that they didn't try to put me in something I didn't want. I went in wanting a Z & I went out with one. The salesman never tried to 'sell' me. First time thats ever happened for me.

I would recommend finding a good Nissan dealership in your area to do the service. You surely don't want CarMax servicing your car, especially a Z.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:49 AM
wahoo5

I bought my '99 Mustang Cobra from Carmax. It was a good deal because Ford dealers at the tme were getting over sticker for new ones and asking more than KBB for used ones. My expereince is that Carmax cars are in very good shape, but you are generally paying at the high end of KBB scale.

I almost bought a Z from them in February, but they lowballed my trade (the Cobra) and then sold the Z before I could sell the Cobra. Carmax also sells new Nissans at their White Marsh store betwen Washington and Baltimore. They sell for around invoice.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:18 AM
pyindeem

IMO buy it new (haggle haggle haggle the price)
buy it use (risky) more crap to deal with later & sooner
I don't like Carmax's No haggle pricing B.S. , I think ne1 can do better than their price if you just keep fighting...(well, buy used only if $ is the issue).
Good luck
Old 04-26-2005, 07:00 AM
MadMax76

I contacted them, they didn't give me the price I wanted. I called and local dealer and said that they ARE giving me the price I wanted so the dealer drop his price and I got even better deal .
Old 04-26-2005, 08:28 AM
JP_WRX

Thanks for all the input guys!

Looks like I'll most likely be waiting for the 06's to come out and getting an 05. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 AM
kahuba

White Marsh has a black Z for 26K. I was trying to figure out if it is a base model or enthusiast?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
hypeiv

i am going to have to say big time no way on the car max idea... I was looking at an 03 Enthu w/ 17k miles and they wanted $1000 more than the price listed at a local infiniti dealers used car lot for an 04 w/ 7k miles and the exact same options. After nego I paid almost $2000 less than what carmax wanted and got a much newer car... and I didn't even get that great of a deal on my car according to most of the people on this site... You can buy the extended warranty from nissan if your worried about getting a bad used car... I got the 7 year 75k mile for $725 from a nissan dealership after I bought my car used.

It took me all morning to nego the car from the dealership and they weren't nearly as nice but to me its worth the fight to save some money... if thats not worth it to you then carmax isn't that bad of a deal.

Also a tip on buying a used 05 late in the year... i bought my 04 used in december of 04 and my bank let me finance it as a new car instead of used giving me the lower intrest rate, you may want to check and see if your bank will let you do that.

Last edited by hypeiv; 04-26-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
JP_WRX

Thanks again guys.

hypeiv - I notice you have an S2000 antenna. Work just the same as your standard antenna? Good reception? Simple bolt on? I bet that looks nice...just thinking ahead

Let's see, if it's April now....December is only...
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Sensation350Z

Originally Posted by JP_WRX
Hey everybody, need some info on this subject and this is the best place to get it. I currently have an 02 WRX and will be purchasing a used 04 or 05 Z soon. My Dad recently bought a vehicle from CarMax and swears it's the way to go, especially when buying used.

So, just wanted to ask if any of you have purchased your Z through CarMax, or any car for that matter. Overall thoughts on the prices/short term/long term service/experience, etc.? Thanks for all your input!

FYI my other option would be to wait until just before the 06's come out (Sept-Dec?) and grab an 05 Z off the Nissan dealership. Anyone do this and get a great deal as well?

Thanks! Hope to be posting as an owner soon!
There is no carmax in Arizona.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by JP_WRX
Thanks again guys.

hypeiv - I notice you have an S2000 antenna. Work just the same as your standard antenna? Good reception? Simple bolt on? I bet that looks nice...just thinking ahead

Let's see, if it's April now....December is only...
I don't play the radio hardly at all so I don't know about the reception... I would just assume get it shaved off if it were a cheap option. It fits on fine and its just a little something that I like but I know that nobody ever notices it. I just went to the honda dealership and got one from their parts department. When I got it they asked if I wanted to buy two b/c "its just going to get stolen again"... I told them no no no I am doing this instead of stealing one... I am putting it on a different car.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:20 PM
JP_WRX

Sensation - Yeah, I know. Closest is Vegas I believe. What an excuse to fly to vegas though! To pick up and cruise around in my new Z ( if that were the case )...

Nice avatar you got there. I'm guessing it's in the tunnel downtown? I've always wanted to snap some great shots in that tunnel. Wish it was much longer. Z must sound great in there at full throttle. Where did you get yours? Any Nissan dealership you'd recommend?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Sensation350Z

haha you`re right, it`s a great excuse to go to Vegas. It`s actually not my Z though, it`s my friends' 35th anniversary. [mine`s silverstone]

And I recommend you buy from a private owner, negotiating is much easier and you`re less likely to get screwed over. I definitely do NOT reccommend Pinnacle Nissan/Infiniti. Worst customer service ever.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
masa8888

I bought my brand new Z at Carmax (White Marsh) about 2 and half weeks ago. I did my research and ended up finding the best deal at Carmax, and the best part about it is no haggling and you leave the door feeling like you got a good deal. I swear by Carmax. It's the 4th car I bought from them. I even got my parents hooked.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
kahuba

www.carmax.com... Do a new car search for a 350Z. One Z @ White Marsh for 26K. Anyone care to guess if that's a base or enthusiast?