Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

need hints on getting a used 03'

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:31 AM
cvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need hints on getting a used 03'

found an 03' Z 6-speed manual. i can only have a limited # of test drives and i was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what and where to look for problems. they placed new tires on (on these hideous 20" riims) so i can't really tell if there was even the slightest indication of feathering. it has 29K miles and selling for 21K. i really need your help as i don't want to get a lemon. of course i am planning on car faxing it but they dont usually tell you the whole story.

thanks a lot guys. been on this site for a while and it would be nice to get a Z...lol
Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
boma

Which model is it? Enthusiast? Base? Performance? Touring? Track? It's hard to tell. You can just assume it has feathering and be prepared to deal with it at the dealer.

My used 03 Z came with new tires on it. They started to feather 5k miles later, and were completely bald 14k later.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
bixby

Check the manufacture date on the inside of the driver door. if it is 02/03 or later you are least likely to have the more serious problems like tranny. But with that many miles on it the chances are if there was a tranny issue it would have already been resolved.

- Roll both windows up & down several times. Loog for a vertical "clear" grease streak on the forward portion of both windows. If you see the streak then they need to perform the TSB to fix it (unless you can live with it.

- Press the fuel door release once. check to confirm that it opened. Do this test several times. If it takes more than 1 attempt on any test, another TSB.

- Using the key fob release the rear hatch. Pull up on it. If it doesn't open (or release all the way) another TSB.

- Make sure that neither window has any drag or hesitation rolling up or down fully. If it lags or jerks in any way that may be a sign of a failing switch or motor. Yes another TSB.

- during your test drives make sure the car shifts smoothly. No clunking or grinding (sign of potential tranny problems).

- Unfortunately there will be no way to check the feathering issue with the new shoes on the car but you can ask for them to provide you with any information on warranty work done on the car. If anything was done NNA should have a record of it.

Most issues for 03 are simple problems and shouldn't discourage you from buying the car.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
ANXIOUZ

Wow, yeah, I think he covered it all!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by bixby
- Roll both windows up & down several times. Loog for a vertical "clear" grease streak on the forward portion of both windows. If you see the streak then they need to perform the TSB to fix it (unless you can live with it.

I have this problem but I thought it was something that the guy who did the tint did because i didnt notice it before... but its in the same exact place on both windows... what do i need to say to them to get it fixed? just that the windows have streaks on them? i'm not sure how to approach that problem

my car only has 23k on it and its an 03 so its still under warranty
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 AM
ANXIOUZ

Just tell them you have window grease/streaks and there is a TSB for the issue. They'll know all about it and it will be covered under warranty.

Or print this and take it with you:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB03-029.htm
Old 06-17-2005, 11:24 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by mrpratt
I have this problem but I thought it was something that the guy who did the tint did because i didnt notice it before... but its in the same exact place on both windows... what do i need to say to them to get it fixed? just that the windows have streaks on them? i'm not sure how to approach that problem

Just tell them that you have the window grease issue and that there is a TSB for it. They'll need to see it then they'll order the parts.

WARNING 1: Inform them of your tint. Mine was damaged & they had to replace it.

WARNING 2: Make sure you test drive the car after repair up to what ever your max driving speed is (at least 80mph) and check for wind noise. They pull the windows and if they are not aligned properly, wind noise.

WARNING 3: Check your door panels to make sure they are firmly secured. If they break any clips during removal / replacement you will notice some "give" when you pull on the interior door handle to close. Make them fix it.

Which is why I said "unless you can live with it". All my warnings are from experience. AND the grease issue has returned on my driver side for the 3rd time!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by bixby
Check the manufacture date on the inside of the driver door. if it is 02/03 or later you are least likely to have the more serious problems like tranny. But with that many miles on it the chances are if there was a tranny issue it would have already been resolved.

- Press the fuel door release once. check to confirm that it opened. Do this test several times. If it takes more than 1 attempt on any test, another TSB.

- Using the key fob release the rear hatch. Pull up on it. If it doesn't open (or release all the way) another TSB.

- Make sure that neither window has any drag or hesitation rolling up or down fully. If it lags or jerks in any way that may be a sign of a failing switch or motor. Yes another TSB.

- during your test drives make sure the car shifts smoothly. No clunking or grinding (sign of potential tranny problems).

- Unfortunately there will be no way to check the feathering issue with the new shoes on the car but you can ask for them to provide you with any information on warranty work done on the car. If anything was done NNA should have a record of it.

Most issues for 03 are simple problems and shouldn't discourage you from buying the car.
wow...that's a great list! so do i just provide the NNA with my vin? I mean if it WAS taken in for feathering i should expect feathering in the future huh? since they haven't fixed the problem?

so anything past 02/03 i would have least likey have the tranny and feathering issue?

something totally out of point: those rims they have on it are horrendous. chrome 20" uglies. are the stock 17s any more expensive and how do i aquire this?

thanks again guys. really looking foward to a VQ35 soon
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by cvt
wow...that's a great list! so do i just provide the NNA with my vin? I mean if it WAS taken in for feathering i should expect feathering in the future huh? since they haven't fixed the problem?

so anything past 02/03 i would have least likey have the tranny and feathering issue?

something totally out of point: those rims they have on it are horrendous. chrome 20" uglies. are the stock 17s any more expensive and how do i aquire this?

thanks again guys. really looking foward to a VQ35 soon
The dealer should do it for you. As for the feathering you'll even have it on models past the 02/03 production dates. The fix was replacement tires and alignment. You'll have to search to see if it returns. In my case it didn't show up until 14k miles. I only have about 10k on the new tires but the feathering hasn't returned.

As for the rims, I suggest a set of the 03 or 04 Track model ray's. They are 18x8 f & 18x8.5 r. Plus you can get a wider set of tires on them (265/40's r & 245/40's f) for some extra bite!
You can find a set on this forum for sale I'm sure. Nissan charges about 1,500.00 each for them but you can find a used set in good condition for about that cost. I put a set on my touring.
Attached Thumbnails need hints on getting a used 03'-350z051304-2.jpg   need hints on getting a used 03'-350z051304.jpg   need hints on getting a used 03'-350z051304-4.jpg  

Last edited by bixby; 06-17-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
cvt

wow...those are nice? and a whole set for only 1500?...how much do they weigh each rim? btw-your Z looks great!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by cvt
wow...those are nice? and a whole set for only 1500?...how much do they weigh each rim? btw-your Z looks great!
Why thank you.... I have no idea what they weigh. All I know is they are the rims that belong on the car (imo of course). I'm also happy that I was able to put the wider 265's on the rear and will be putting the 245's on the front soon. Makes the car look much better (again imo) and the added tread really adds to the handling.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:05 PM
boma

Good info bixby. you beat me to it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
dd55

Originally Posted by mrpratt
My car is exactly like yours and i bought it for the same price too lol Same trim, same rims, and i even took out the mudguards when i first got the car....not sure if your car is lowered or not, but i recently installed hotchkis on mine...

Gotta love the chrome silver....
Old 06-17-2005, 08:56 PM
MADDOG`

Those wheels, plus the Brembo package, is exactly why I bought a Track model, Bixby. They do look nice. I sure like the Brickyard color but couldn't find one at the time I bought my Daytona Blue Z.

And ya know, I've wondered about the weight of those wheels, too. Either I'll weigh them when I replace the tires or keep looking. The factory service manual has no info. The Nissan website has no info.
Attached Thumbnails need hints on getting a used 03'-pict0050.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:06 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ditto '03 Super Black Track Model
Old 06-20-2005, 10:21 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by MADDOG`
Those wheels, plus the Brembo package, is exactly why I bought a Track model, Bixby. They do look nice. I sure like the Brickyard color but couldn't find one at the time I bought my Daytona Blue Z.

And ya know, I've wondered about the weight of those wheels, too. Either I'll weigh them when I replace the tires or keep looking. The factory service manual has no info. The Nissan website has no info.
Yea, I wish I had a bbk. It's on my list of future mods but I want to beef up the suspension & add a nice exhaust first.

The Brick was so hard to find and to get it with the options I wanted was pretty much impossible. I knew at the time the wheels were a must but I didn't realize the difference in brakes until later.