Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Dealer allocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Lancaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer allocation

Have a question for you dealer savvy people~

I've been searching around my area trying to find a dealer to work with me on an 06, but most have been pretty closed-minded telling me brand new Zs will easily sell for MSRP for awhile. I understand that dealers should feel entitled to sell brand new model cars for more, but they're not budging off MSRP it seems. I've expressed interest in having them order one to my specs directly from the factory, which I will honor with a deposit effectively ensuring them a sale before the car is ordered. Their response to this has to do with their allocation of Zs which doesn't change so even if I ensure them a sale, it still takes up one of their limited order so they're justified in maximizing cost. Is this a legitimate business argument? Do all dealers have to work within allcations, and if so does it give them the power to charge whatever they want as long as demand is high?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Zeromus

I just ordered an '06 yesterday, and from what I understand, dealers are indeed allocated a certain amount of vehicles they can order each month. Supposedly, my order will go through at the beginning of October, but I've been told by others in the know that this may or may not happen depending on whether or not my dealer is even allocated any Z's for the month or not. They told me they may be able to modify an existing order so I could receive it earlier, but I'm still waiting to hear back if they were able to do this or not.

As far as pricing goes, I put down a $1000 deposit and was able to get straight up invoice pricing. I know we're in completely different parts of the country, but I emailed a ton of dealerships and visited a few, and getting $500 over invoice was very, very easy. Invoice was a little tougher, but I found a no-nonsense dealer that was a little farther away who didn't play any games and quoted me invoice from the get-go. A lot of dealers will feed you all different kinds of BS just to buy from them, so be wary of what you hear. Some people on this site recommended http://www.carbuyingtips.com/ which you may also find helpful as a starting point.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
oldsnail

I emailed a ton of dealerships and visited a few, and getting $500 over invoice was very, very easy. Invoice was a little tougher, but I found a no-nonsense dealer that was a little farther away who didn't play any games and quoted me invoice from the get-go.
Umm.. so how much is invoice price for model you bought? can you share with us?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by oldsnail
Umm.. so how much is invoice price for model you bought? can you share with us?
Sure, I ordered a Touring coupe with AT which is $30289 invoice. The options I got were floor mats ($64), splash guards ($108), cargo convenience package ($53), aluminum kick plate ($78), and trunk mat ($54), which added up to $357 invoice. Including the $580 destination charge, my total before taxes was $31226, and OTD price is slightly under $33700
Old 09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A dealer is more apt to work with you when the car is sitting on the lot. Like real estate, if it sits, it costs the owner money. Many dealers do not like to work with pre-orders because of the number of buyers who back out of the deal.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 AM
FreebirdZ

Originally Posted by Zeromus
Sure, I ordered a Touring coupe with AT which is $30289 invoice. The options I got were floor mats ($64), splash guards ($108), cargo convenience package ($53), aluminum kick plate ($78), and trunk mat ($54), which added up to $357 invoice. Including the $580 destination charge, my total before taxes was $31226, and OTD price is slightly under $33700
And that was for a 2006? Hot damn, I've been getting similar quotes for a 2005.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expand the list of dealers your talking to.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by FreebirdZ
And that was for a 2006? Hot damn, I've been getting similar quotes for a 2005.
Yeah, for a 2006, but that's after contacting 15-20 dealers over the internet and visiting 3 in person. I had a couple of dealers trying to unload 2005's on me for like $1500 under invoice (because there is currently a $1000 nissan-to-dealer cashback incentive going on for '05's), but I wanted all the new features on the '06. If you're looking for an '05, mention the incentive, you should be able to get at least $1000 below invoice -- then again, I don't know what the market is like in Florida for you.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:37 PM
oldsnail

funny where I am at, there's a dealer that's trying to sell 04 model for 1000 below msrp..
I guess I am shopping around little further distance..
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Brian350Z

Some dealers are crazy - I saw a "new" 04 roadster at a dealership in Shelby today for $40xxx.

So does anyone know if the 06 Z's are eligible(yet?) for the VPP program?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:49 AM
New Buyer

Yeah, for a 2006, but that's after contacting 15-20 dealers over the internet and visiting 3 in person. I had a couple of dealers trying to unload 2005's on me for like $1500 under invoice (because there is currently a $1000 nissan-to-dealer cashback incentive going on for '05's), but I wanted all the new features on the '06. If you're looking for an '05, mention the incentive, you should be able to get at least $1000 below invoice -- then again, I don't know what the market is like in Florida for you.
So do you think $1000 below invoice is a good deal for an 05 right now? It doesn't sound like that great a deal if the new one could be had for about 1500-2000 more. Or do you think that is the best they will do in general? Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by New Buyer
So do you think $1000 below invoice is a good deal for an 05 right now? It doesn't sound like that great a deal if the new one could be had for about 1500-2000 more. Or do you think that is the best they will do in general? Appreciate your help. Thanks.
What is the MSRP of the car you are looking at?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Lancaster

I'm starting to find the same price attitude towards the '06s that Zeromus was talking about. I initially talked to a few dealers who said the new ones would be at MSRP, no exceptions. So I shopped a bit and 5 more dealers buckled instantly at $500 over invoice. I went back to my first 2..told them dealer x just quoted me invoice+500....they said "well we might be able to do something like that" hah. I'm confident I can make invoice..maybe 1-200 over, which would be fine for me.

$1000 under invoice when it's very possible you could get a brand new one AT invoice? Makes the deals on the old '05s seem a bit ...meh
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by New Buyer
$1000 below invoice is not that great, just because of the $1000 dealer incentive going on right now -- so essentially, the dealer is charging you the same price for an 05 that you could get an 06 for because nissan will give them $1000 for selling you an 05 -- the dealer will be making the same amount of money. If you get $1000 below invoice on top of the $1000 incentive ($2000 below invoice total) that would be a good deal -- $2K less might make the 05 worth it, but it depends on whether or not you like the changes for the 06. but if the dealer doesn't budge on the 05 price, just walk away and go for the 06. like Lancaster just said, $1K less for an 05 doesn't really seem worth it, when you could get an 06 for near invoice.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by Lancaster
I'm starting to find the same price attitude towards the '06s that Zeromus was talking about. I initially talked to a few dealers who said the new ones would be at MSRP, no exceptions. So I shopped a bit and 5 more dealers buckled instantly at $500 over invoice. I went back to my first 2..told them dealer x just quoted me invoice+500....they said "well we might be able to do something like that" hah. I'm confident I can make invoice..maybe 1-200 over, which would be fine for me.

$1000 under invoice when it's very possible you could get a brand new one AT invoice? Makes the deals on the old '05s seem a bit ...meh
Right on, man. Don't settle for more than invoice, seriously. I had one dealer sales manager come out and give me a 5 minute speech about how they don't make money on invoice, the alleged "history" of how dealer holdback came to be (and how it is not profit... yeah right), and how he would absolutely not sell a car at invoice. When the saleswoman from that dealership called me to follow up, I told her I already ordered a car for invoice elsewhere. Then I get all this backtracking on how they would could have done invoice as well, if I would have given them the chance to match another offer, etc, etc, after they guy looked me in the eye and repeatedly told me he would not do it, under any circumstances! The bottom line is that you're the one who is in charge when buying the car, because you're the one with the money. If you go in being smart and informed, you'll definitely walk away with a good deal.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
oldsnail

Right on, man. Don't settle for more than invoice, seriously. I had one dealer sales manager come out and give me a 5 minute speech about how they don't make money on invoice, the alleged "history" of how dealer holdback came to be (and how it is not profit... yeah right), and how he would absolutely not sell a car at invoice. When the saleswoman from that dealership called me to follow up, I told her I already ordered a car for invoice elsewhere. Then I get all this backtracking on how they would could have done invoice as well, if I would have given them the chance to match another offer, etc, etc, after they guy looked me in the eye and repeatedly told me he would not do it, under any circumstances! The bottom line is that you're the one who is in charge when buying the car, because you're the one with the money. If you go in being smart and informed, you'll definitely walk away with a good deal.

I'm working on it too.. But I can only make deals using emails because I am planning on getting it from Oregon states to avoid 'double tax' one from states and another from tariff coming in to Canada. I can only afford base model because of stupid 20.1% tariff and harder to get financing from Canada to get car from U.S. So far, I emailed all of nissan dealership in Oregon states, but none of them claim to have 06 model on their lots, and many of them tried to sell me 05 model for about same price I offered on 06 model 4 dealership told me that they'd give 06 model at 400+invoice when they get them on their lot though
I'm aiming for invoice + $400 as it seems attractive enough for me
I can't buy 350z in Canada because I can't justify spending U.S. $45000 on performance manual(somewhat close to touring model)
Old 09-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Zeromus

I'm working on it too.. But I can only make deals using emails because I am planning on getting it from Oregon states to avoid 'double tax' one from states and another from tariff coming in to Canada. I can only afford base model because of stupid 20.1% tariff and harder to get financing from Canada to get car from U.S. So far, I emailed all of nissan dealership in Oregon states, but none of them claim to have 06 model on their lots, and many of them tried to sell me 05 model for about same price I offered on 06 model 4 dealership told me that they'd give 06 model at 400+invoice when they get them on their lot though
I'm aiming for invoice + $400 as it seems attractive enough for me
I can't buy 350z in Canada because I can't justify spending U.S. $45000 on performance manual(somewhat close to touring model)
did you ask them about preordering? i actually secured my deal through email, so it is possible. a word of advice, calculate the total price (find out all taxes and extra charges beforehand, you can call a couple dealerships to get info on specific numbers) for the car you want to pay and include the breakdown of everything in your email, and tell them that's what you're willing to pay. also include when you're looking to purchase. if it looks like you're serious and ready to buy soon, they may be more likely to budge. and i can't believe Z's are so much more expensive in Canada!! damn, you should just relocate to the US
Old 09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
oldsnail

did you ask them about preordering? i actually secured my deal through email, so it is possible. a word of advice, calculate the total price (find out all taxes and extra charges beforehand, you can call a couple dealerships to get info on specific numbers) for the car you want to pay and include the breakdown of everything in your email, and tell them that's what you're willing to pay. also include when you're looking to purchase. if it looks like you're serious and ready to buy soon, they may be more likely to budge. and i can't believe Z's are so much more expensive in Canada!! damn, you should just relocate to the US

for preordering, they told me to wait 60~90 days.. so I would receive my z around January... I'll have to drive Z back to Canada first day I purchase it, and it'll be 9+ hours driving so I don't know if I want to buy it in January and drive it to Canada for 9+ hours when the weather can turn really nasty.
Plus if I wait until end of January, I can save few more thousands and get enthusiast or even touring... So, if I have to wait til Jan to preorder my Z, I might as well look for one in Feb in the dealer lot when the weather is little better hopefully... Don't get me wrong though, I am dead serious about getting Z asap, I've already did foreign exchange and deposited just enough money to buy base Z in my US bank account, so I will buy the Z if I find the right one even tonight...

for email, I did calculate all the price... with dealer invoice price you sent me Since there's no sales tax in Oregon, I told them I'd pay the invoice price + 400 dealer profit + 580 destination charge. So far.. 5 dealers contacted me, 4 by email 1 by phone, they all agreed on the price without much hassel.. and they told me they'd contact me when they get the car on their lot... I'm hoping for a good news soon....
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Zeromus

for preordering, they told me to wait 60~90 days.. so I would receive my z around January... I'll have to drive Z back to Canada first day I purchase it, and it'll be 9+ hours driving so I don't know if I want to buy it in January and drive it to Canada for 9+ hours when the weather can turn really nasty.
Plus if I wait until end of January, I can save few more thousands and get enthusiast or even touring... So, if I have to wait til Jan to preorder my Z, I might as well look for one in Feb in the dealer lot when the weather is little better hopefully... Don't get me wrong though, I am dead serious about getting Z asap, I've already did foreign exchange and deposited just enough money to buy base Z in my US bank account, so I will buy the Z if I find the right one even tonight...

for email, I did calculate all the price... with dealer invoice price you sent me Since there's no sales tax in Oregon, I told them I'd pay the invoice price + 400 dealer profit + 580 destination charge. So far.. 5 dealers contacted me, 4 by email 1 by phone, they all agreed on the price without much hassel.. and they told me they'd contact me when they get the car on their lot... I'm hoping for a good news soon....
damn, with no sales tax, $400 extra seems like nothing! even so, $400 over is still not a bad deal. plus when they all get the cars on their lots, you'll have another chance to get them to knock off a little more and possibly bid against each other. good luck with everything, but now comes the hard part... the horrendous wait!!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 PM
jklaus

Hey oldsnail,

Im in Calgary and thinking of buying a US "Z" and importing too. But where do you come up with the 20% import fee? GST,PST and duty? Just curious because just duty is 6.1%.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Dealer allocation