Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Anyone had problem getting a Sirius as Dealer-installed option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
markathon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had problem getting a Sirius as Dealer-installed option?

Hey guys,

My 06 Z Touring 6MT is ready to be picked today up except for one hitch. They did not have this car with the factory-installed Sirius sat radio but since Touring models are supposed to come 'pre-wired' for installation, the salesman said they would install it before I take delivery. Well, now today he called back and said they can't. Something about a Service Bulletin from Nissan USA that says they either can't or won't let dealers sell this as a DIO.
I am confused because I thought 'pre-wired' meant that the installation could be completed at dealership with a 'factory type' Sirius Sat Radio head unit and antenna. (or at Circuit City or Best Buy if you want to buy their units). It also begs the question, why could I get it installed at CC or BB but not at a Nissan dealership?!?!?

I have read some of the major threads here about Sat Radios for Zs in general and about Sirius in particular. There are many issues discussed here but I did not find one that exactly answered my question here. I checked back to the Nissan website and got this information:
SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio
• Choose XM® or SIRIUS™ satellite radio and enjoy a variety of formats, such as jazz, hip-hop, classical or comedy.
• Fully integrated system operates seamlessly with your factory radio.
*No satellite radio reception is available unless optional satellite receiver and antenna were purchased and installed and an XM® or SIRIUS™ satellite radio service subscription is active. Satellite radio option can only be installed in vehicles that were factory pre-wired for satellite radio. Satellite radio not available in Hawaii and Alaska.
Now I understand if the factory installs it that naturally there is no problem, but can't the dealer complete the installation just as well if it is 'pre-wired' as Touring models are advertised as being?

Also, the salesman has given me an alternative that might just suit me. If I wait until week of April 1, a 06 Touring 6MT with a factory-installed Sirius Sat Radio and the same colors and options that I had requested will be delivered to his dealership and it will have my name on it if I choose to wait for it.

I am just asking the forum if maybe someone up the chain in Nissan is giving my salesman some inaccurate info concerning installing the Sirius radio at the dealership. He said he would check around with some regional technical managers to see what is the correct situation and I told him I would post a question on this Z forum.

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.