Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Pls help, BUYING advice..... (San Diegans expecially)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 03:30 PM
erock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pls help, BUYING advice..... (San Diegans expecially)

First off, great site you guys have here, I've been catching up on posts and doing some research on this site.... Lots of good stuff....

Well here's my questions:

My Acura CL is my first 'new' car I bought, all I had to do was go to the dealer and pick one out from the lot...... Not the case for 350Z's, I've been playing with the Idea of purchasing a PPW enthusiast model (6spd of course) and the dealerships I went to didn't have any on the lot.... Well one dealer ship had one in the showroom but it was a Red track model...... I didn't talk #'s cuz I was just looking, but now I think I'm ready to talk #'s...... Does it cost more If a dealership has to order a specific one? Rumors are that ppl have been getting these below MSRP, true? I went to Nissan's site and built one for just under 30K, would I be able to get it for chealper? I really like this car, but I'm not much of a barter(?).... What kind of deals did most of you get, didu have to order or did u pick off the LOT?

(Sorry so LONG)

Now for the San Diegans:

Which dealership did you get your car from? Did they work with you pretty well? Any specific salesperson I should talk too?
I went to Mossy Nissan in Kearny Mesa and Nat'l City, anyone have good experience with them......

CLIFF'S NOTES:

What should I expect to pay for a PPW Enthusiast model?
What is 3% dealer holdback mean?
What's better, below MSRP or below INVOICE...?

TIA
Old 02-09-2003, 06:01 PM
all_bark

got mine from FRANK WHITE

Mossy Nissan Oceanside.

DEFENITELY A GREAT GUY TO WORK WITH.

i would highly recomend you give him a call.
they also have the best service dept in sd.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:16 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

invoice =wholesale (according to other industries)

there is NO holdback on the Zs, that is an incentive that the manufact gives dealers to sell certain cars, the cars that SELL very well, DON'T have holdbacks (generally speaking)
Old 02-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mossy sells them at MSRP. Pacific Nissan has them marked up!

Bat™
Old 02-11-2003, 07:46 PM
kaiser23

More specifically, invoice is what the DEALER pays for the car. If you can get a car below invoice, you're a lucky, lucky man, but I don't see that happening since the dealership would LOSE money selling you a car under invoice.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Z4KR

I went to Mossy Nissan in National City and test drove a red track. I wonder if it was the same car? I put 10 miles on it which was surprising to me since no other dealer would let me test drive the Z. I also called a few more around town. They all told me msrp. If you can get it below msrp go for it. Evey time I told them about others getting them below msrp, the salesman mentioned the mark ups in LA area. I ended up getting mine from Irvine Nissan.
I called them up and they had one sitting in the showroom with the color I wanted so I drove up the same day and picked it up. Good luck.

Last edited by Z4KR; 02-11-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:03 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by kaiser23
More specifically, invoice is what the DEALER pays for the car. If you can get a car below invoice, you're a lucky, lucky man, but I don't see that happening since the dealership would LOSE money selling you a car under invoice.
That's not the whole story, though. Even though the dealer might pay Invoice (and I'm not even sure they pay that much), the dealer would still get Dealer Holdback expenses (several $100's) from Nissan. Plus, even if they do have to move a Z at a lower price, the fact that they've sold one just enhances their allotment from Nissan, continuing the supply of Z's to them, some that they know will be selling for MSRP or even higher.

So they may not actually lose any money by selling under Invoice - once everything is taken into consideration.

WayneTN
Old 02-12-2003, 05:06 PM
rjsmit1

Default Re: Pls help, BUYING advice..... (San Diegans expecially)

Go to edmunds.com for a good explanation of the various pricing elements, including invoice, list, holdback, etc.

Originally posted by erock
First off, great site you guys have here, I've been catching up on posts and doing some research on this site.... Lots of good stuff....

Well here's my questions:

My Acura CL is my first 'new' car I bought, all I had to do was go to the dealer and pick one out from the lot...... Not the case for 350Z's, I've been playing with the Idea of purchasing a PPW enthusiast model (6spd of course) and the dealerships I went to didn't have any on the lot.... Well one dealer ship had one in the showroom but it was a Red track model...... I didn't talk #'s cuz I was just looking, but now I think I'm ready to talk #'s...... Does it cost more If a dealership has to order a specific one? Rumors are that ppl have been getting these below MSRP, true? I went to Nissan's site and built one for just under 30K, would I be able to get it for chealper? I really like this car, but I'm not much of a barter(?).... What kind of deals did most of you get, didu have to order or did u pick off the LOT?

(Sorry so LONG)

Now for the San Diegans:

Which dealership did you get your car from? Did they work with you pretty well? Any specific salesperson I should talk too?
I went to Mossy Nissan in Kearny Mesa and Nat'l City, anyone have good experience with them......

CLIFF'S NOTES:

What should I expect to pay for a PPW Enthusiast model?
What is 3% dealer holdback mean?
What's better, below MSRP or below INVOICE...?

TIA