Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:18 PM
walc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I doubt seriously Morristown gets much more snow than Knoxville/Oak Ridge. Maybe 3 inches a year or so more, tops. It is only a couple of counties over from Knoxville. It is in the foothills of the Smokies, but that's about it. So is Knoxville/Maryville.

I went to St Louis and got mine, because in December, nobody in Nashville was going below list at all. I got mine for a bit more than $2600 off, though.

I don't think those prices are out of range for at least THIS part of TN. Sounds fair to me. I doubt prices have gone down enough in the 2.5 months since I bought mine that $1000 would be a rip off.
You think paying $1,600. more than you did, 2.5 months ago, is a good deal?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:20 PM
walc

Originally posted by WayneTN
Big, professional lawyer. Maryland's best. That all you could come up with in your closing argument? Please go away.
Now I get it!
You live in your car.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:25 PM
WayneTN

Originally posted by walc
Now I get it!
You live in your car.
Nope. Wrong again. You've lost your case. Please go away. By the way, your lawyering web page has a lot of comma splices. Just thought you'd want to know.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 PM
walc

Nope. Wrong again. You've lost your case. Please go away. By the way, your lawyering web page has a lot of comma splices. Just thought you'd want to know.
WayneTN,
I surrender. You have cut me to the quick. Run-on sentences on my web-site. I am so ashamed.
Now, go park your home/350z somewhere nice for the night. I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning, when you get your medication adjusted.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:43 PM
cammys car

which dealership are you ordering from? will probably order this weekend and would like to know if you manage to get less than msrp!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:45 PM
WayneTN

WayneTN,
I surrender. You have cut me to the quick. Run-on sentences on my web-site. I am so ashamed.
Now, go park your home/350z somewhere nice for the night. I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning, when you get your medication adjusted.
Wrong again. But, I didn't get to use my lawyering jokes yet....

Last edited by WayneTN; 02-20-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:58 PM
walc

Wrong again. But, I didn't get to use my lawyering jokes yet....
Well hell, WayneTN, go for it!
BTW, did you hear the one about U of TN ( 3 ) vs. U of MD ( 30 ) in the Peach Bowl?

Last edited by walc; 02-20-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
WayneTN

Well hell, WayneTN, go for it!
OK, here's the first one.

F. Lee Bailey.

BTW, uh, wrong again. You didn't go to U of MD.....
I don't think John Carroll Univ. played in a bowl game did they. No wait. They lost in the Div. III Semifinal to Mount Union by 57 to 19. It was closer than the score implies, I'm sure.

OK, that's all my lawyering jokes. I give up. Just look at some geography books and get that web page corrected and you'll be OK. See ya.

Last edited by WayneTN; 02-20-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:24 PM
walc

OK, here's the first one.

F. Lee Bailey.

BTW, uh, wrong again. You didn't go to U of MD.....
I don't think John Carroll Univ. played in a bowl game did they. No wait. They lost in the Div. III Semifinal to Mount Union by 57 to 19. It was closer than the score implies, I'm sure.

OK, that's all my lawyering jokes. I give up. Just look at some geography books and get that web page corrected and you'll be OK. See ya.
Yeah; but, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:26 PM
WayneTN

LOL. Your best post of the night.

See ya, walc. I'm just kidding around. I wish you well.

Regards,
WayneTN
Old 02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
walc

Thanks. I had to get my wife to help me.
Excellent repartee! Now I remember why I didn't win many cases as a lawyer for the TVA.
I, too, enjoyed talking with you!
PEACE and LOVE, Bro
Old 02-20-2003, 06:44 PM
ZLuvr

you guys are too funny!

Now, back to the program at hand:

any new z owners out there willing to share their "deals/steals"

thanx in advance
Old 02-20-2003, 07:04 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You think paying $1,600. more than you did, 2.5 months ago, is a good deal?
You are the one that said you had to go to "wintery states". TN isn't one of those. Until this year, we haven't had decent snow in about 4 years. I also pointed out dealers here are still at or near list.

$1000 off in this area isn't a horrible deal. Also, when I got my deal, not many people posting here had even gotten much below list ANYWHERE. It wasn't exactly average.

Glad you are an expert in TN deals. Wish I was half as knowledgeable as you about what dealers here are asking.

BTW, WayneTN has said multiple times on this board he was from Oak Ridge. He hasn't made it a state secret. I knew it, and I don't even know him.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:08 PM
DmitryZ

I could be wrong but I think a lot of people are getting too much into this MSRP/Below MSRP prices. I have a friend who works at a Toyota dealer (Yeah I know, everyone got a friend that works at a dealer). When I bought my Z he didn't ask whether I got it at MSRP or below. He asked me what my monthly payment is. My point is: Does $1000 below MSRP matter if your finance rate is 8%? Yeah I could have gone to few more nissan dealers and negotiated a price maybe $500-$2000 below MSRP but they would have jacked up my finance rate sky high. Just my opinion.

Dmitry
Old 02-20-2003, 07:22 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

$2600 out of my pocket is significant to me. Also, not everybody finances, and when some of us do, we do it outside of the dealer

I went three states over to get a good deal.

IMO, and I grew up in a car dealership and was a truck sales manager for awhile, people that shop for payments only are asking to get bent over. You'll end up upside down in the vehicle if you don't pay attention to what you are really paying. I can't come close to counting how many customers I saw that wanted to trade in a car they had a 60 month loan on where they'd just shopped payment, but because they were so upside down, they couldn't do it.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:31 PM
WebToker

Originally posted by DmitryZ
I could be wrong but I think a lot of people are getting too much into this MSRP/Below MSRP prices. I have a friend who works at a Toyota dealer (Yeah I know, everyone got a friend that works at a dealer). When I bought my Z he didn't ask whether I got it at MSRP or below. He asked me what my monthly payment is. My point is: Does $1000 below MSRP matter if your finance rate is 8%? Yeah I could have gone to few more nissan dealers and negotiated a price maybe $500-$2000 below MSRP but they would have jacked up my finance rate sky high. Just my opinion.

Dmitry
Thats why you never get financed through the dealer. You get the bottom line and come in with a check. That way they don't try to **** with the numbers and add **** you don't need.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
walc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MannishBoy
" Glad you are an expert in TN deals. Wish I was half as knowledgeable as you about what dealers here are asking."

I think this thread started with a guy in Houston, TX, asking what he should pay. Someone suggested he tell the dealer, in TX, that he could buy for $1K off msrp in TN. I suggested that if he was going to use that negotiating tactic, there are better deals than $1k off msrp to use; although, I doubt that a TX dealer cares if a TN dealer is selling for $1k less than him. It is probably more than $1k worth of hassle to buy in TN, when you live in TX.
You posed the idea that a person in TX would be getting a fair deal by purchasing for $1k less in TN. My point was that the guy in TX shouldn't travel to TN to save $1k, when he might be able to buy in St. Louis and save $2.6k, as you did 2.5 months ago, or more. That big a saving is probably worth the inconvenience of having the car shipped or flying there and driving it home.

PS. I concede that TN is a tropical paradise in the winter. However, the dealer in Morristown, TN lists 16 in stock, at this time, on the Nissan.usa website. So, $1k off msrp, which is $2k over invoice and $3k over dealer cost, is not that good a deal, when supply apparently exceeds demand at that dealership at this time.

Last edited by walc; 02-20-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:14 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by 350ez
Thats why you never get financed through the dealer. You get the bottom line and come in with a check. That way they don't try to **** with the numbers and add **** you don't need.
Bank Finance rate 7%
Dealer Finance 4.9%

However, I agree with you that financing is the surest way to get screwed over by a dealer. That is why I brought my personal certified accountant (my mom) and my trusty TI-85 calculator. I did all my calculations from scratch and wasn't satisfied until my numbers matched exactly to the dealer numbers.
Financing through the dealer does have its pluses: It is simple (No dealing with the bank) and usually will get you a better price on the car (if you don't get bent over in the process) and more competitive finance rate (usually).

Dmitry
Old 02-20-2003, 08:17 PM
nodeel

The Z is on carsdirect for THOUSANDS under MSRP - approximately 1500 for the base, and even higher for more expensive models.

This is for ANY chicagoland zip code.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 PM
happypants

Originally posted by nodeel
The Z is on carsdirect for THOUSANDS under MSRP - approximately 1500 for the base, and even higher for more expensive models.

This is for ANY chicagoland zip code.
Yeah, I checked Cars Direct and got $1200 under MSRP for a Performance w/mats, kick plates, splash guards, same car as I bought in Jan. Still is higher than what I paid.

But, DEFINITELY better pricing than beginning of January, no local dealer would offer more than $500 under MSRP.

Going out of state got me a better price (Kayser Nissan in Madison, WI)!

Quick Reply: I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?