Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:23 PM
WebToker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?

When they took my order they told me that I was lucky to be getting MSRP. I think since I am ordering it I should be able to get less than MSRP. Give me some skills to use when I go drop my check off to get the price lowered ;-)
Old 02-19-2003, 03:27 PM
2003z

Print out NissanTiff's posts in the classifieds, and show them you can get it for $1000 under msrp, just by traveling and having a nice road trip home. Give them the opportunity to beat it, but be prepared to walk if they don't.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:29 PM
WebToker

Originally posted by 2003z
Print out NissanTiff's posts in the classifieds, and show them you can get it for $1000 under msrp, just by traveling and having a nice road trip home. Give them the opportunity to beat it, but be prepared to walk if they don't.

Good idea, I have one post in mind that I saw that should work perfect.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:52 PM
walc

Negotiating tool:
A dealer makes the most profit on a perordered car because the dealer doesn't have to pay floorplan/interest while waiting for the car to sell.
BTW, $1k off msrp is not currently that good a deal in the wintery states, such as TN. You can get comparables, that are more advantageous to you, from the Nissan dealers selling w/out reserve on eBay. Believe me, knowledgeable sales managers keep track of eBay prices.
Heck, you may want to buy on eBay. I've done it, on other cars, and been very satisfied.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:13 PM
jesperanza

Default shop around

A friend of mine bought his a week after mine (he didn't preorder and I did) and he got his touring $2000 under msrp. Another friend of mine went thru a dealerships internet sales manager and was offered $1000 off msrp. Shop around and use the money you saved for mods!! BTW, I got mine at MSRP but I preordered.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Jager

If you guys can negotiate below MSRP, consider yourself lucky. In Vancouver (Canada), there is a 6 month waiting list for pre-ordered cars. Some dealers get allocated cars that were not pre-ordered and put them on their lot for sale at $2,000 plus MSRP (one sold for as high as $6,000 above MSRP).

I fluked out by getting one within a week from when I wanted it at MSRP. Every dealer told me I was dreaming except one who let it go on Jan 31 for MSRP. Got my colour too.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:12 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just to add a data point

Just to add one more data point, I have pre-ordered a convertible and I agreed to just MSRP. Nothing over MSRP.

Seems to me that you could do a little better on the hard top.

Depends how much effort it is worth to you I guess.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:28 PM
raceboy
Banned

If they have the car you want, just buy it. I mean damn, $1000 equals about $18 a month in payment. Who cares!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:47 PM
socalsoda

Right on...

I hear a bunch of people saying how if you payed MSRP you got ripped off... And that they got $1000 or so off.... My theory was that when I went to buy my car, it was the car I wanted and the getting pissed off at A-hole dealers and ruining my whole expieriance wasnt worth $1000.00 (Spread out over 5 years). On a $35,500 car it didnt amount to much.
Although I do agree with the first post that if they dont give you exactly what you want (MSRP or below MSRP) then you need to be willing to walk...
Keep in mind that location plays a large part... As you can see on this board some dealers offer the Zs they have below MSRP, but personally I would not comprimise and except a car that isnt equipt exactly like I wanted it.
I would go in trying to get $2000.00 off MSRP and comprimising on $1000-$500.00.... All the time willing to pay MSRP if need be. To each his own... Some people can go in guns blazing and ***** and scream for $500.00... Personally I just cant... Do whatever you can live with for 60 or so payments.

Best of Luck,
Josh

Last edited by socalsoda; 02-19-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:26 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by walc
BTW, $1k off msrp is not currently that good a deal in the wintery states, such as TN.
What are you talking about, "wintery states, such as TN?"

It's gonna be 60 degF here Saturday! The last I heard, a big snow storm just hit up that way!

WayneTN
Old 02-20-2003, 07:47 AM
walc

I was referring to the dealer, in Morristown, which is in the mountains of East, TN, a few hundred miles from you, who is advertising, on this forum, $1K off msrp.
Last time I checked, that dealer had about 16 350z's in stock, like many dealers in MD where $1k off msrp is no longer a very good deal.
BTW, you are right, MD did just have a record snowfall; but, the forecast, in my area , is 51 F on Saturday.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 AM
TriX

Hmm I am almost tempted to go on a road trip. I hear of these great deals.

I just went to 2 different salesman. One offered me a TRACK for 43,---.00 and another offered me a ENTHUSIAST for 32,---.00.

I understand its FL (sunshine state) but damn who will pay 8 k over msrp I can start looking at a used 2003 m3 for that.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:38 AM
walc

Preston Nissan, in Hurlock, MD, has a super black track, in stock, which you should be able to buy for $1.5k to $2k off msrp.
A month ago, they still wanted msrp; but, they have 5 350z's that have been sitting for a month, and they are usually very competitive.
I got a great deal, at Hertrich Nissan, in Dover, DE, a month ago, when they had 5 in stock; but, now, they only have 2, neither of which is a track.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:19 PM
oneZ

I ordered my Enthu. Z a couple of weeks ago for $650 over invoice here in Indiana. Of course they also get their 3% dealer hold back.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM
WayneTN

I was referring to the dealer, in Morristown, which is in the mountains of East, TN, a few hundred miles from you
walc,

Basically, you still don't have it right.

(1). Tennessee is not a winter state (especially compared to MD) and Morristown is NOT in the "mountains of East TN." The elevation at the airport is only 1,313 feet.

(2). Morristown is not "a few hundred miles" from me. First, you don't even know where I'm at. All you (may) know is that I bought my Z in Oak Ridge. That's a whopping 55 miles away.

(3) The elevation in Oak Ridge averages only about 300 feet, so I guess you're right, walc. Morristown is on a 1,000-foot-high mountain. Maybe that's big and cold and far away by Maryland standards.

Last edited by WayneTN; 02-20-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:57 PM
walc

Gee, when I lived in Knoxville, TN, I thought those big " Rocky Top " things were mountains and all the white stuff, in the winter, was snow.
I do stand corrected that you live in Oak Ridge, not West TN. I guess that's why there is a space for location on your profile. However, yours shows that you gave up after trying to spell TN. So, I guess it's safe to assume that you are not a scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:03 PM
WayneTN

Gee, when I lived in Knoxville, TN....blah, blah, blah
No, still wrong. I didn't say I lived in Oak Ridge either, only that I bought my Z there. I sure hope you read closer than this when you do your lawyering stuff. Please go away. You are an embarassment to geography students everywhere.

Last edited by WayneTN; 02-20-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:08 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I doubt seriously Morristown gets much more snow than Knoxville/Oak Ridge. Maybe 3 inches a year or so more, tops. It is only a couple of counties over from Knoxville. It is in the foothills of the Smokies, but that's about it. So is Knoxville/Maryville.

I went to St Louis and got mine, because in December, nobody in Nashville was going below list at all. I got mine for a bit more than $2600 off, though.

I don't think those prices are out of range for at least THIS part of TN. Sounds fair to me. I doubt prices have gone down enough in the 2.5 months since I bought mine that $1000 would be a rip off.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
walc

Originally posted by WayneTN
No, still wrong. I didn't say I lived in Oak Ridge either, only that I bought my Z there. I sure hope you read closer than this when you do your lawyering stuff. Please go away. You are an embarassment to geography students everywhere.
You are the one who made the comparison to Oak Ridge. Why are you so secretive about where you live? Do you live back in a holler and try to pass your sister off as your wife?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:17 PM
WayneTN

You are the one who made the comparison to Oak Ridge. Why are you so secretive about where you live? Do you live back in a holler and try to pass your sister off as your wife?
Big, professional lawyer. Maryland's best. That all you could come up with in your closing argument? Please go away.

Quick Reply: I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?