Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Help me learn to negotiate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me learn to negotiate!!!

I am in the process of purchasing a z right now and i am thinking of purchasing a brand new 06 base model. This my first car buying experience as all of my other cars were given to me.

Now i have been reading recently that some of you guys are getting 06 base models "out the door" for a little over 27k after paying TTL. What are some suggestions that you all could share w/ me to keep me from getting the royal screw job. I am hoping to pay around 28k after taxes. Is this possible?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are a member of costco, you can use their car-buyer pgm to get your car for less than msrp. some credit unions have similar programs. its a no hassle, no haggle thing.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a. Find the car that you want.
b. Determine how much you are willing to pay.
c. Visit the dealer and make your best offer.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'd expect you'd be able to get out the door for around 28 - 28.5K if you play your cards right. $26,600 is invoice on a base model I think, plus slightly less than $2000 in Tax, Tags, and Title (at least here in Maryland).

I'd get a few internet quotes from local dealer websites, and take them with you as you visit each dealer. Dress decent, be polite and patient, don't be afraid to walk if you're not happy.

Let your demeanor and knowledge of the car let them know you mean business and your ready to buy. Try to arrange financing in advance and see if the dealer can beat the rate.

It should be easier to get a deal on the 06's since it's getting late in the year.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:16 PM
raceboy
Banned

Go through internet/fleet dept. Set your price before ever setting foot on the dealers lot. If you just walk on as a retail customer, you are toast. Tell them you are doing this with 5 dealers and whoever gives you the best deal wins. Try to scout out the lot at night and provide them with a specific VIN#. With Nissan you can just go online and see what the dealer has on the lot and get the VIN that way.

Except for my Porsche, I have bought my last 5 cars that way. No hassle.

Last edited by raceboy; 08-23-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 AM
chris'smax

thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep them coming

Z-Boy, could you explain a little more about how the costco pgm works?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 AM
GMZ

Originally Posted by chris'smax
thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep them coming

Z-Boy, could you explain a little more about how the costco pgm works?
I used this on my 4 runner. Basically there is a set price, say 500 over invoice. Depends on the car, and there are certain dealers you must use. So you go to the dealer and that they tell you to and they say invoice is: 26,600, plus 500 is 27,100. Now any rebates come after this, so say a 1000 rebate your price before TTL would be 26,100. These prices are for comparisons sake! Not real! I basically went to 5 dealers in my area and said I have this costco deal for xx,xxx price, can you give me better? All said and done I got my 4 Runner for 30K OTD, which is 500 under the "invoice" price on the sheet they showed me. Made a whopping $200 on my trade in! Its a good thing to have in your pocket when a dealer tries to bs you, then you just say "I have the Costco deal here...beat it or they get my business" Car salesman will usually try to ask you "What kind of payments are you looking to have" DONT FALL FOR THIS! This is where they try stuff. Always negotiate the price of the vehicle outright, and try to have financing already worked out so you can play them against your bank that way too. Just a couple of things I used last week. Oh and there is no such thing as a "non-refundable deposit"!!!!! Main thing is know what you want and how much you want to spend, then just hold your ground
Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Pac Man

Originally Posted by GMZ
I used this on my 4 runner. Basically there is a set price, say 500 over invoice. Depends on the car, and there are certain dealers you must use. So you go to the dealer and that they tell you to and they say invoice is: 26,600, plus 500 is 27,100. Now any rebates come after this, so say a 1000 rebate your price before TTL would be 26,100. These prices are for comparisons sake! Not real! I basically went to 5 dealers in my area and said I have this costco deal for xx,xxx price, can you give me better? All said and done I got my 4 Runner for 30K OTD, which is 500 under the "invoice" price on the sheet they showed me. Made a whopping $200 on my trade in! Its a good thing to have in your pocket when a dealer tries to bs you, then you just say "I have the Costco deal here...beat it or they get my business" Car salesman will usually try to ask you "What kind of payments are you looking to have" DONT FALL FOR THIS! This is where they try stuff. Always negotiate the price of the vehicle outright, and try to have financing already worked out so you can play them against your bank that way too. Just a couple of things I used last week. Oh and there is no such thing as a "non-refundable deposit"!!!!! Main thing is know what you want and how much you want to spend, then just hold your ground
+1

Also, do your homework. Know ahead of time what the invoice should be for your model and options. If your financing, know ahead of time whether it will be through Nissan or your own bank. Shop around for a competitive interest rate and know what Nissan is offering for the Z--yes, different rates for different models. And, know your credit score and what it means--if they say your score is jacked when in fact it is good I would question their integrity. Also, if you have a trade in, bring it up and discuss it only after you have negotiated the price of the new car. Do not answer any questions about what you want to pay a month--this is a trap. Make sure they understand that you are interested in making this purchase happen today--stand firm, but be fair. It's simply a game of show and tell with each trying to make out the best they can.

Whew, sorry for the winded response.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
chris'smax

that is some interesting points about the costco tatic.

Here is my situation, I sold my car yesterday and i now have 14,000 to put down and i will be financing the rest through my dads credit union. I am not sure i have any barganing power w/ this but hopefully i will.

Today i contacted a dealer about a z and he wanted 28,000 for the base model. I told him there is a dealership in new orleans that is willing to do 27,000 so i think he may lower his price. These prices included destination charges. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
davidv

Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Yes. Asking for quotes is a waste of time. If you are a dealer, who do you pay attention to? A stranger on the phone or someone who is sitting in front of you ready to buy?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:26 PM
BE350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have 14k down i would really consider a used Z. In my area you can find Z's with under 15k miles for around 20k. Sticker price on my 03 touring when it came out was 36k and i picked it up with 13.5k miles for a little over 22k thats including TTL.

Only issues ive had is the window motor thing... other than that its fine.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
GMZ

that is some interesting points about the costco tatic.

Here is my situation, I sold my car yesterday and i now have 14,000 to put down and i will be financing the rest through my dads credit union. I am not sure i have any barganing power w/ this but hopefully i will.

Today i contacted a dealer about a z and he wanted 28,000 for the base model. I told him there is a dealership in new orleans that is willing to do 27,000 so i think he may lower his price. These prices included destination charges. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
That is excellent! When you guys start talking about numbers, it will be good for them to see that if they give you a good price you will put down $$$ and buy. But try different dealers until you get one that gives you a good feeling. I tried 5 So now you just get the financing and have the loan in hand + cash ready to buy. Will you be pre-approved for an amount? Like "Not to exceed $XX,XXX" DO NOT TELL THE SALESMAN HOW MUCH YOU HAVE! Tell him you have only as much as you want to spend. So say you have the 14K for down payment and you finance "up to" 14K try and get them down by showing them a cashiers check for the 14K to let them know you mean business. And say you are approved for 13K for a total of 27K. Then its just a game to get it down. Good luck! Its fun to haggle them, even walk out on a few just to see "how low they can go"
Or like the above guy said buy a used one or "certified used" would be even better. Let the other guy take the hit on the depreciation. Id reccommend taking a look at whats in your area then going from there.
28K seems high for a base, on edmunds it lists the TMV for about 28K, see if you can get him down to 27K or 27.5K OTD (which inlc tax,title,fees)

Last edited by GMZ; 08-24-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:15 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by BE350Z
If you have 14k down i would really consider a used Z. In my area you can find Z's with under 15k miles for around 20k. Sticker price on my 03 touring when it came out was 36k and i picked it up with 13.5k miles for a little over 22k thats including TTL.

Only issues ive had is the window motor thing... other than that its fine.

Yea i thought about that, but after crunching the numbers the monthly payments come out to be fairly close since i would only be able to finance @4 years w/ a used car as opposed to 6years w/ a new. I just sold my 2000 maxima which was extremely modified (lots of problems and hard work to fix) and i want something that new and never has been ragged on. I know i am going to boost the z since i still have nismo cams and all my emanage equipment and boost controller, but for right now i just want the peace of mind of driving a fresh stock car with no hassels to deal with.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 AM
EricTX

Yea i thought about that, but after crunching the numbers the monthly payments come out to be fairly close since i would only be able to finance @4 years w/ a used car as opposed to 6years w/ a new. I just sold my 2000 maxima which was extremely modified (lots of problems and hard work to fix) and i want something that new and never has been ragged on. I know i am going to boost the z since i still have nismo cams and all my emanage equipment and boost controller, but for right now i just want the peace of mind of driving a fresh stock car with no hassels to deal with.
Let us know what you finally get on your base. I'm also looking for a 06 base. i read in other threads that some were getting $26k OTD.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:33 PM
chris'smax

well guys i went and test drove today. My girlfreinds step dad is in the car dealership buisness so he used his contacts to help me on the pricing. The manager of the dealership is personally taking care of me and he said he could do 27,000 including destination charges. The $hitty thing is he has to get the car from another dealership which means i can't get him to come off the car any more since he doesn't get the $1000 dealer holdback(at least that is how they explained it to me). My gf step dad said at this point the manager is basically not making any money but is just handling the paper work.

So does 27,000 excluding ttl sound good? Sales tax in louisiana is about 9%
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM
davidv

well guys i went and test drove today. My girlfreinds step dad is in the car dealership buisness so he used his contacts to help me on the pricing. The manager of the dealership is personally taking care of me and he said he could do 27,000 including destination charges. The $hitty thing is he has to get the car from another dealership which means i can't get him to come off the car any more since he doesn't get the $1000 dealer holdback(at least that is how they explained it to me). My gf step dad said at this point the manager is basically not making any money but is just handling the paper work.

So does 27,000 excluding ttl sound good? Sales tax in louisiana is about 9%
I cant tell jack about out-the-door. What is the MSRP? What are you paying?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:49 AM
hue

When I thought I couldn't go much lower, I negociated a premium oil change package for 3 years. A $3oo to $4oo dollar value. I upgraded to synthetic motor oil and pay the difference. The gift that keeps on giving.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:36 AM
EricTX

$27k before TTL? That sounds really high. I thought invoice was around $25k.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:58 AM
perrogrande007

No offense, but you guys who buy brand new cars are insane. Talk about getting it in the nuts when you drive it off the lot.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by EricTX
$27k before TTL? That sounds really high. I thought invoice was around $25k.

The invoice price i saw on yahoo was $25,680, but when i looked on kelley blue book the invoice price was listed as 26,xxxx.

Quick Reply: Help me learn to negotiate!!!