Huge dilemma - some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Huge dilemma - some advice needed

Hey guys,

This has been a really hard situation for me and I am really opening up here for some advice. As you know I have only had my car for about 4 months now. I bought it in January and it is a 5AT. Yes I know, it was a mistake because I thought I would be commuting with the Z (100+miles each day) and I ended up getting a free beater from my parents.

Anyway, I have been really itching to get a manual because I miss driving a MT badly, especially after the Roslyn drive. My options right now is basically try to find someone to trade cars with (minus all the parts) which is very hard to find. The other is to trade it in for a 6spd. I have found a nice DB Z with 31k miles with the same trim. The dealership would of course take my Z as a trade-in but we have not discuss any prices on that yet. I want to know what's the best way to trade a vehicle in. I have never done that yet and I would like to know.

-If I'm serious about this should I be taking all the parts off before I come in for a trade-in?
-Or should I come in with my car as it is, then ask them about the trade-in value, etc and tell them that I would be swapping parts between the two cars (is this even possible?)
-Tell them when I bring the car for a trade-in I will be bringing it completely stock like the way their car is currently (this involves me buying stock parts and swapping stuff out.
-Forget it all and just keep my Z and buy another weekend car 3-4 years from now (gt-r maybe?)

My Z has 41,500 miles now and is in pretty much mint condition. I bought it for 22k out the door and I downed 7k so I had 15k payoff and of that I have about $14k left.

The car I'm interested in is

http://i-5-motors.ebizautos.com/webd...px?iid=1712002

Some advice would be really helpful. Thanks guys.

Alvin
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your going to take a huge hit if you trade it in. I would defenetly take all the parts out if I was going to trade it in. Tell you the truth I would sell the Z personally and drive the beater for a while till you can finance an 07Z or buy an 05Z. stay away from 06. the money you are going to waste from trading in is close to FI money
Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by MUZZY
your going to take a huge hit if you trade it in. I would defenetly take all the parts out if I was going to trade it in. Tell you the truth I would sell the Z personally and drive the beater for a while till you can finance an 07Z or buy an 05Z. stay away from 06. the money you are going to waste from trading in is close to FI money
I am going to look at an 05 35th ann. edition right now. I don't know how much I will loose but if it's too much definitely I will not get it. As for the 07 I still cannot justify buying a brand new Z right now (or even later) because of my goals. I don't wanna drive a beater around because I've always been into cars and driving a pos around isn't a lovely idea. But I do appreciate your insight and I'm looking at the 05. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would you be able to do a transmission swap? I wonder how much that would be.

I think you'd probably be less in the hole then you would by trading it in and buying a new one.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM
zeekle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
I am going to look at an 05 35th ann. edition right now. I don't know how much I will loose but if it's too much definitely I will not get it. As for the 07 I still cannot justify buying a brand new Z right now (or even later) because of my goals. I don't wanna drive a beater around because I've always been into cars and driving a pos around isn't a lovely idea. But I do appreciate your insight and I'm looking at the 05. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
The 35th manual has the same engine as the 06... which as of right now I would stay away from.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt is the mods will improve trade-in value. Maybe an additional $1,000 for the wheels.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

I made the decision to do a manual swap later this year (9-10 months) I love my car way too much to trade it in. Thanks guys...time to save up haha