Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a used 2003 350z with high miles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kno
if he has engine mods then dont get it if the engine is stock then you should consider it
I'd say the same thing as I have had a few Z's with over 200K without a rebuild. Just keep them well maintained and tuned and they last a good long time. Even with the beating I gave my older ones. I'm holding off beating on my 350Z for now. Mountain roads yes, drag strip.... this is not a drag car for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Kazuma

Why do "young people" get hated on when they own nice cars. I constantly have people come up to me asking how much mommy and daddy paid for my car. I pay 100% of any and all costs that are associated with my 350, from payments to gas to insurance. Drives me nuts...
I'm 23 and treat my car far better than most. I wash it, I keep the interior and exterior clean and relatively dust free, and I have it regularly checked by a mechanic in town. I have 64k mi on my 2003 Black Touring and it still looks great say for two minor dents on my doors where, somehow someway, people parked out in BFE next to me and still managed to slam into my door. The front is nicked up slightly from normal road driving (which I hope to touch up well enough). And I've never redlined it.

Young people can appreciate cars just as much if not more than anyone else. If it looks good and checks out with a mechanic then I'd say it's a decent deal. But like someone said, I bought my car in florida and drove it back to texas, ended up being a better deal than anywhere else.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 AM
luda300zx

Originally Posted by Kazuma
Why do "young people" get hated on when they own nice cars. I constantly have people come up to me asking how much mommy and daddy paid for my car. I pay 100% of any and all costs that are associated with my 350, from payments to gas to insurance. Drives me nuts...
I'm 23 and treat my car far better than most. I wash it, I keep the interior and exterior clean and relatively dust free, and I have it regularly checked by a mechanic in town. I have 64k mi on my 2003 Black Touring and it still looks great say for two minor dents on my doors where, somehow someway, people parked out in BFE next to me and still managed to slam into my door. The front is nicked up slightly from normal road driving (which I hope to touch up well enough). And I've never redlined it.

Young people can appreciate cars just as much if not more than anyone else. If it looks good and checks out with a mechanic then I'd say it's a decent deal. But like someone said, I bought my car in florida and drove it back to texas, ended up being a better deal than anywhere else.
second this... it's true some young kids are morons but there are still with alot of respect for what they have if they buy it with there own hard money. But of course if mommy and daddy buys a car for the kid then expect it not to run, well, hmm ... too well?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do all the the things you said and more. I also have OCD about my car's appearance. I'm young and i know young guys like speed. Of course not every single guy treats his engine bad but you have a better chance with older guys. I know couple of guys that drive z's and s2000's that uses their cars as stictly long trip business cars which has high mileage but never ever raced or ran hard. If you buy a car that has an intake or exhaust, do you actually believe it's not ran hard to be heard or to feel teh extra power? It will. So try to buy a car that is not modded..even though it could of been and just been brought back to stock.

I work at a car dealership and we run car fax for the people and sometimes when the car has only one previous owner, we have their name and age as a reference to to reassure the buyer because that does help. Being young, you have young friends that might even peer pressure you to do burnouts, race other cars, rev all the time..etc.

My point is, you could be young or old and beat on your engine pretty hard. You just have a better chance of getting a nicer treated car with a older, mature person.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
angelzhope720

I've seen those pictures before. He's a memeber on here.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a point of reference, I paid $16.5K for my 03 Base with 39K miles. That tells me that you should be able to knock some money off that price. Bottom line, are you comfortable with a car with that mileage?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
VQZ33_Jake

+1 for sure...I turn 19 on the 28th, and people ask me if my dad bought mine for me when i graduated....like you bro, i pay for every single thing!

Jake
Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Plague_oc

Just got a message back from the guy:

I'm 28. The car's been babied. This was my dream car so I wanted to keep it in great shape. I've never been to the track. I do all the basic maintenance myself and I took it to the dealer for the major 30 and 60K service. Those shots were taken at various times, pretty current though. The car is in exact same condition as the photos. But the car is an 03 with 82,000 miles so there is going to be a little wear and tear.

There are a few imperfections with the exterior and interior. Nothing major but I'd rather you know about it ahead of time so you can decide for yourself it is major. You'd be surprised at the number of people who have unrealistic expectations for a used car. Honestly, you wouldn't notice any of these problems unless you were inches away.

-Scuffs on trunk near rear spoiler. The removal of the stock spoiler caused this.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1088.jpg

-Door ding on passenger fender.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1075.jpg

-Small scratch on front bumper from rock on freeway
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1079.jpg

-Small scratch on rear skirt, probably from the same rock, haha.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1070.jpg

-Small dent in license plate area. I think someone rolled forward into me and caused this while they were trying to park. No paint was removed so it's barely noticeable.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1073.jpg

-Driver armrest vinyl. This section started to crack from wear. I tried to fix it using a vinyl kit from Autozone but it didn't work so I just put black duct tape on it. I actually just purchased replacements which should be in this week so this isn't even an issue.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1080.jpg

-Scratches on edge of passenger side interior. Caused by transporting a TV.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1085.jpg

-Wear on steering wheel.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=IMG_1084.jpg

As I said, pretty minor stuff. Please don't hesitate with any other questions. I'm glad to answer them.
I offered him 15k before he sent this email, not sure if I think its worth that anymore..what do you guys think?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
DanZmanAZ

im 20 and I pay all the expenses on my 350z and I don't live with my parents either but I run the car hard and I love it. if your not going to enjoy your sports car as a sports car then you bought it just to look cool and you might as well be driving an AT sentra
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of those exterior issues can be easily fixed. The white scratches are probably just clear coat scuffs so a good buffer and experienced detailer will get those out. The other ones, the touch up paint and a very fine brush will take care of to a point where you'll have a hard time finding them yourself after.
The interior issues are little more work. You'd have to order the parts and replace them. Most of them are probably small money but something to deal with.
Your call my friend.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Shift_Z33

That seems like a lot for a base with 88k miles. I'd say 14-15k
Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
dman888

i payed 16k for my 03 base with 33k miles... and it has a 77k mile extenden warentee