Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Pay off

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
I wouldnt say I'm dumb, I had a few circumstances in my past that took me some time to un-***. They're squared away now, so I'm in a position to drop 14K and buy the items in my sig.
Are you telling me that your signature is a wish list?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Polo08816
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maile
You should really consider refinancing it. I unfortunately am paying 12% at the moment because I don't have ENOUGH credit.
If you're paying 12% interest, you are taking it up the butt.

You should have either bought your USED Z
1. In cash
2. Bought a cheaper , yet still reliable car.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 PM
TSG-Z

Originally Posted by davidv
Are you telling me that your signature is a wish list?
No, I have everything in my sig plus more.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
davidv

Thumbs up

No, I have everything in my sig plus more.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so are you paying it off or what are you doing?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
davidv

Thanks alot for your help, I received the information needed.

Edit: my credit is a lot better now, I'm in a position to pay this ***** off, interest is killing me!
Instead of killing your savings consider $1,000/month payments. That will knock off some interest charges, and get you where you want to be in about 15 months.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 AM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Damn~ 13%.....
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 AM
andre350z

13% i though i got raped at 9%. i still got
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Motormouth
Banned

my car loan was 5.25% for a used 350z.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
So if you can't pay the 20-32grand in cash to buy the 350z, or don't qualify for a low interest rate you can't afford the car?
Exactly right, particularly if you can't qualify for a low interest rate.

What about first time buyers? My interest rate is 12.5 cause I'm a first time buyer but I plan on re-financing soon.
First-time buyers should buy something they can afford, not necessarily something they "want". I think you may have problems with delayed gratification, in other words waiting for the things you want.

What about those who wants to try to fix there credit by starting off with high interest then refinancing?
If your credit needs to be "fixed", then you have problems that buying a more expensive car are certainly not going to help. The best way to "fix" your credit is to pay all your bills on time, and pay off your credit card. Once it is paid off, use the credit card for regular purchases but pay it off every month. Over time, your credit will improve. Getting a 12.5% interest rate is just ridiculous and "fixing your credit" is just a lame justification.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
OrleanZ33

Originally Posted by dhays

Why do you hate banks? You are the one that bought a car you couldn't really afford and signed the note to the bank. No one to blame here but you. Since apparently the concept of an amortized loan isn't being taught in school, you kids really need to educate yourselves or you will continually be poor.

Im not blaming anyone - just the fact whoever got together and came up with the banking system were very smart with the concept of taking money. My main question was what was the difference between a Base and Daily intrest rate, not a analysys on whos blaming who. And your telling me you have NEVER financed anything in your live, that you pay CASH for everything, like your house ? If thats the case please give me break, not everyone has cash flowing out of there pockets to do something like that.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by OrleanZ33
Im not blaming anyone - just the fact whoever got together and came up with the banking system were very smart with the concept of taking money. My main question was what was the difference between a Base and Daily intrest rate, not a analysys on whos blaming who. And your telling me you have NEVER financed anything in your live, that you pay CASH for everything, like your house ? If thats the case please give me break, not everyone has cash flowing out of there pockets to do something like that.
No sorry. I wasn't suggesting never carrying debt. I am suggesting that for most folks, it doesn't make sense to carry debt on depreciating/non-income producing items. Your example of a house is a good one. A house is a situation where a reasonable amount of debt is a wise thing. Another example is a college education. School loans make sense, as do certain business debts.

Interest can be confusing. The nice thing is that compounding interest can work both for you and against you. However, your point is correct that often banks compound deposits monthly, but lenders compound interest daily.

The most accurate way to compute a loan amortization schedule would be to
base the interest on the actual number of days in the payment period. If you pay monthly, this would vary from 28 to 31 days. Each day's interest would be 1/365th of the nominal interest rate. That interest is accrued and added to the principle for the next days interest calculation. If your lender will compound weekly, you will save money. If they will compound monthly, you will save even more. This is why in the US, it is required that lenders give the effective APR for loans. This allows you to compare loan products that have different terms.

BTW, the above is a reason why bi-monthly payments save you so much interest. It cuts the amount of interest you are paying the interst in half over a monthly payment system.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
RAGE

I seen people pay 19% with bad credit just to get the car
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to be a dick - but IMO - the time to learn about credit, APR's and financing is prior to signing an agreement and making a purchase.

it's no fun thinking you've paid that much off on your car and wondering why you've hardly dented the loan.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
TSG-Z

Originally Posted by Entaille
Sorry to be a dick - but IMO - the time to learn about credit, APR's and financing is prior to signing an agreement and making a purchase.

it's no fun thinking you've paid that much off on your car and wondering why you've hardly dented the loan.
I agree! I wanted the car, the monthly wasnt too high and figured I was getting a good deal for a '03 Track. I've learned, no big deal, thanks for everyones reponses.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Motormouth
Banned

most people can barely drive let alone understand finance. or a checking account.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 AM
KManZ
Banned

Here is a great tool for showing you the effect of interest on a principal. Just plug your numbers in, and hit the "Show/Recalculate Amortization" button.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/auto-loan-calculator.asp
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM
aduke

I don't understand the idea of "pay cash or don't buy a car." I understand not signing up for 12% interest, but not financing a car just because it depreciates seems ridiculous. The thing is CASH depreciates too. To the tune of what, maybe 3% a year? Inflation is not negligible. Obviously banks are profiting, but loans under 7% or so just aren't that punishing.

I understand financing and how banks make their product perfectly adequately, the point is that just because you're paying more over the life of the loan and delivering a profit to the bank doesn't mean its a dumb thing to do.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

you don't have to understand the mentality - there are some out there who are well off enough to just flat out pay cash for cars they want and it ultimately is more responsible.

financing is available for those of us who don't have 20k+ stashed away, or are too impatient to wait. it works out well in most cases but a lot of people take loans they shouldn't. my interest rate is 5.75% and even that will add multiple thousands of dollars onto a car loan. it's worth it to me and that's all that matters - no ones calling you stupid for financinig.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:50 AM
dhays

you don't have to understand the mentality - there are some out there who are well off enough to just flat out pay cash for cars they want and it ultimately is more responsible.

financing is available for those of us who don't have 20k+ stashed away, or are too impatient to wait. it works out well in most cases but a lot of people take loans they shouldn't. my interest rate is 5.75% and even that will add multiple thousands of dollars onto a car loan. it's worth it to me and that's all that matters - no ones calling you stupid for financinig.
To be honest, I guess I have referred to financing cars as "dumb". As you point out, as long as someone understand the effect of financing a car, and can realistically deal with it, it can be fine.

My only point is that folks should realize that financing a sports car, or even buying a sports car to begin with, should be considered and extravagant expense and should be lumped in with the rest of your "entertainment" budget. Transportation can be handled better for a lot less money by buying a used econobox. Folks buy Zs for the entertainment value. When you finance one, you simply are making that entertainment that much more expensive.

I prefer to pay outright for my entertainment, whether that be a movie, a nice dinner, a vacation, or a sports car. Borrow money for the essentials; house, schooling, basic transportation if needed, and business capitalization, but pay as you go for everything else.

Quick Reply: Pay off