Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

350Z and G35 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Sythlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z and G35 Questions

Hey guys,

So been looking around the forums, doing tons of searches and reading up on other peoeples ideas, suggestions and more. So I have a couple of questions. If I will give you guys a overview of my situation, I am in the market for a 350z or a G35 coupe, having a lot of trouble weighing them both since they are both great cars, 1 is more Luxary, and the other is more sporty, and I love both. On me, I will be using it as a everyday car, I don't drive much everyday, maybe a max of 40 miles a day if that. I love the tight feeling of the 350Z but I also love the smoothness of the G35. Also the years that I am looking at are 2005-2006 350Z and G35's. Here are some questions.

1. My friend told me that the G35 has directional tires, meaning they can't be rotated, can someone please go into deepth more about this directional tires. Is it actually the type of tire, is it the actually suspension or something mechanical on the car? Also he said that some can't be rotated because the fronts are 18's and backs are 19's which make a lot of sense of course. He said also that due to this you have to replace the tires more often, is that true, if so how much is everything and how often?

2. Both take Prem. Gas correct? The dealer I went to said that you can put regular gas in the G35 which sounded off.

3. Are there any other major differences besides the space and overall mechanical parts from the 350z over the G35, I know there are interior stuff like leather and blah blah blah, I am more worried about the important stuff that could go wrong.

4. The only thing holding me back from the 350Z is the space, can you really fit enough in it? I had a 3000GT VR-4 before and it had about the same, maybe a little bigger surface area trunk, not deeper, and also had a back seat. Never drive more then 1 other person in my car so I only ever used my back seat as storage. Can I get a nice suit case in there or maybe some way I can make more space. Any suggestions?

5. Which one will cost me more in the long run? Since I do intend on keeping the car for a long time?

6. The 350Z I am looking at has a DVD-rom drive for the Nagivation, I know the discs are 200 bucks, can you actually play a DVD-Movie in there for the passenger, no I am not stupid and watch one while I am driving, tempted...but not that dumb. I am not sure if there are the codecs and the software to use it as a dvd movie player, can you install the software to do it? Also where is the best place for the Navigation discs to buy?

So I personally like the 350Z more due to looks and ammenties, the one I am looking at has everything but a sun-roof...don't really care about that. But the only thing...which is the only thing is space, nothing else. Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks again!

Greg
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
E-licious

Originally Posted by Sythlin
1. My friend told me that the G35 has directional tires, meaning they can't be rotated, can someone please go into deepth more about this directional tires. Is it actually the type of tire, is it the actually suspension or something mechanical on the car? Also he said that some can't be rotated because the fronts are 18's and backs are 19's which make a lot of sense of course. He said also that due to this you have to replace the tires more often, is that true, if so how much is everything and how often?
Direction tires mean the tires have to travel in a certain direction. You can't turn them around have them rotating the other way due to the way they wisk away water. This means you can rotate them on your car from front to back, but not from drivers side to passenger side because you would reverse the direction they spin. As far as wheel sizes go, the G35 is the one with 19s all around. Some trim levels on the 350z have 18s in front and 19s in the rear. Nothing is stopping you from buying 18s or 19s all around though.

6. The 350Z I am looking at has a DVD-rom drive for the Nagivation, I know the discs are 200 bucks, can you actually play a DVD-Movie in there for the passenger, no I am not stupid and watch one while I am driving, tempted...but not that dumb. I am not sure if there are the codecs and the software to use it as a dvd movie player, can you install the software to do it? Also where is the best place for the Navigation discs to buy?
I'm pretty sure all vehicles from the factory are required by law to shut off video playback in driver viewable screens when the vehicle is in motion. There may be a way to hack the system to disable that, but I have no idea if there is a way.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I responded to your thread in the other forum.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How about driving both and getting the one you like best?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Sythlin

So I drove both and I like the feel of the 350z because it was more tight, but also liked the shifting smoothness of the G35, everything else was the same. A little more power in the 350Z. I will have to drive them both again.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 AM
davidv

Which did you choose?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Sythlin

Default Hey

I choose the 350z, I got an amazing deal on one. I got a 2005 350z Grand Touring. 16k Miles on it for 18,500$. The guy was older and it was his weekend car. He was the original owner also. I am happy with my choice. Thanks for all of the info that you guys have provided for me. Would like some more power in the 350z but I will not be upgrading it for a while because I haven't done any research at all and I don't want to pay for a lot of repairs since I am putting more stress on the engine because of a turbo or supercharger or something. Right now concentrating on getting good MPG on it. I have to say the MPG gauge usually isn't that accurate at times.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 AM
davidv

Thumbs up

I choose the 350z, I got an amazing deal on one. I got a 2005 350z Grand Touring. 16k Miles on it for 18,500$. The guy was older and it was his weekend car. He was the original owner also. I am happy with my choice. Thanks for all of the info that you guys have provided for me. Would like some more power in the 350z but I will not be upgrading it for a while because I haven't done any research at all and I don't want to pay for a lot of repairs since I am putting more stress on the engine because of a turbo or supercharger or something. Right now concentrating on getting good MPG on it. I have to say the MPG gauge usually isn't that accurate at times.
Congratulations. Just checking up on you.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Divergent13

Awesome! An OP actually responded to one of davidv's thread bumps.