Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

interested in the 350z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 PM
mccune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interested in the 350z.

hey everyone!

i didn't see a welcome forum on here, but if there is please move this there.

i'm zach, and i work at an upscale car wash in PA. recently, ive driven a few different 350z's and g35's and have decided that i'd really like purchase one when i turn 18 this february. i currently own a '99 mercury cougar v6, which is automatic. i am an active member on newcougar.org

i'm interested in buying a 350z, the year does not matter to me nor does the color. i know for sure that i don't want another automatic car, so the Z would have to be stick.

are there any common problems with high milage 350z's, or are they pretty solid cars? the ones i've seen for sale online usually have over 50k miles and start around 16 thousand dollars.

thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
aRYip

Search please...
and the top 100 questions should able to help you

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...questions.html
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 PM
SatchScream

Keep the Cougar.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by SatchScream
Keep the Cougar.
Why because he is young?

Hey, get whatever you can afford. Try not to focus 100% on mileage. Look at quality instead. Set your price limit and go from there. I found an 06 Z with 33000 miles in worse condition than an 03 Z with 69000 miles. So just go check the cars out prior to buying them. I am guessing you do not know how to drive stick (I drive an M3 and the Z was sooo much different. It took me a few minutes to get used to it. The high engagement point and the "softness" of the pedals made it hard for me.). Where in PA are you? But have someone test drive one for you. If your local I can help you out. Let me know.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
mccune

Originally Posted by poolguy
Why because he is young?

Hey, get whatever you can afford. Try not to focus 100% on mileage. Look at quality instead. Set your price limit and go from there. I found an 06 Z with 33000 miles in worse condition than an 03 Z with 69000 miles. So just go check the cars out prior to buying them. I am guessing you do not know how to drive stick (I drive an M3 and the Z was sooo much different. It took me a few minutes to get used to it. The high engagement point and the "softness" of the pedals made it hard for me.). Where in PA are you? But have someone test drive one for you. If your local I can help you out. Let me know.
Thank you for the responce. I'm in Lancaster. I can drive stick, sorta. At cloister (the car wash) we get to drive the cars about 100 feet onto an automated track, so I've never really gotten to leave first gear. I have driven a stick Z and really liked the feel compared to any other stick car, I've basically driven them all
Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by mccune
Thank you for the responce. I'm in Lancaster. I can drive stick, sorta. At cloister (the car wash) we get to drive the cars about 100 feet onto an automated track, so I've never really gotten to leave first gear. I have driven a stick Z and really liked the feel compared to any other stick car, I've basically driven them all
I am not questioning your driving abilities but I would have someone who knows how to drive stick test drive it BEFORE or AFTER you do (It is still a good idea for you to test drive it since you sorta know how.). Why? Someone who knows how to drive a stick knows what to look out for. Or how it should feel. Also, starting out was the hardest thing for me to get used to coming from an M3. But maybe it is easier for you. Nissan/Infiniti clutches seem pretty tough compared to most, but are a blast once you get used to them.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
poolguy

Hey, and a side note. I am not sure what your finances are but I would not spend more than half of your paycheck on a car. Car meaning monthly payments, gas, and insurance. If you get a "sports car" I would try to save at least 20% of your paycheck for repairs. Also, it sucks being car poor. So many of my friends are that I stopped hanging out with them because they were "broke" with a "decent (more like new)" car. It sucks being friends with them and I would hate to see you turn out like one of them. Like i said, I do not know your finances and will not judge you, just giving some advice. But trust me, you will not regret waiting one more year. Like I said, I am 18 and "had" to have an M3 in high school (The M3 was my first car) but as a result I worked long and hard. Instead of going to 3 phillies games I went to two, because I had work that night. However, I was able to afford it but at the same time go out and have fun with friends (Worked during the week and relaxed on the weekends). So if you want it, go get. Work hard and proove all of these older guys wrong! Good luck man!

P.S. There are LOTS of GREAT deals in Lancaster. The Z's here in the city are much more expensive!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
mccune

Hey, and a side note. I am not sure what your finances are but I would not spend more than half of your paycheck on a car. Car meaning monthly payments, gas, and insurance. If you get a "sports car" I would try to save at least 20% of your paycheck for repairs. Also, it sucks being car poor. So many of my friends are that I stopped hanging out with them because they were "broke" with a "decent (more like new)" car. It sucks being friends with them and I would hate to see you turn out like one of them. Like i said, I do not know your finances and will not judge you, just giving some advice. But trust me, you will not regret waiting one more year. Like I said, I am 18 and "had" to have an M3 in high school (The M3 was my first car) but as a result I worked long and hard. Instead of going to 3 phillies games I went to two, because I had work that night. However, I was able to afford it but at the same time go out and have fun with friends (Worked during the week and relaxed on the weekends). So if you want it, go get. Work hard and proove all of these older guys wrong! Good luck man!

P.S. There are LOTS of GREAT deals in Lancaster. The Z's here in the city are much more expensive!
eeh, finances. the carwash isn't the best job. when the weather is bad, they call and say "don't come in today." i plan on going to a local technical school for networking / pc systems/ something along those lines. if i lived at home and got a better job, i assumed i'd be able to afford a car payment. plus it would be fun to have the nicest car in school!

oh and, am i going to get flamed by a large percentage of members because of my age?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
poolguy

eeh, finances. the carwash isn't the best job. when the weather is bad, they call and say "don't come in today." i plan on going to a local technical school for networking / pc systems/ something along those lines. if i lived at home and got a better job, i assumed i'd be able to afford a car payment. plus it would be fun to have the nicest car in school!

oh and, am i going to get flamed by a large percentage of members because of my age?
Yea, try not to say your age! Or be prepared to back it up. But here is what I suggest. Try to make $1,000 per month before you buy this car. $1,500 should cover gas-$200, insurance-$250 (roughly), car payment (On the high side)-$300. That totals $750. Put $200 away in savings for maint/repairs until you have $1000. Once you have $1,000 you can take that $200 and add it into your savings. Pay yourself 10% each month so that comes out to $150 per month leaving you with $300 for food/entertainment. I think making that much you could get by. $1500 seems like a lot but it really isn't. It comes out to only $50 per day. That is very feasable! Just find a way to make money. Even if it was a combination of things. Find a stable job (Even if it is at a local supermarket) and maybe cut a lawn everyday or wash a car or deliver the news paper. Making money is easy, you just have to learn how. PM me if you need anything!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
MDHRZ

Good luck. You won't regret it
Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
pbass6811

Just wanted to say welcome to the forums. I'm new to the Z world, but I'm an "older" guy. I will pass along what little wisdom I've acquired since I've been on this forum:

1. Before you ask ANY question, use the SEARCH function. This forum, like most forums, is filled with very knowledgeable and helpful people. BUT, these folks are not very tolerant of someone who won't help themselves! You probably won't think of any question that hasn't already been asked, and answered, somewhere on this forum.

2. Grow a thick skin. You've pretty much doomed yourself into never being taken very seriously because a.) you're 17 & b.) you're asking questions about a car you don't own. I personally don't have any problems with you being a teenager, I have 2 of my own, but the majority of "older" guys on here are probably hard working adults who have been driving Z's since '03 and appreciate the whole experience. I will tell you that every time you post, unless you have something very insightful to add, you'll probably be dismissed and/or flamed. It's not just you. That's just the way it is, so get used to it.

3. Planning ahead is a great idea, asking what parts you should put on a car you don't own probably isn't a great idea.

4. If you've only driven 100ft in a stick, no matter how many times you've done it, you CAN'T drive a stick. Having said that, you HAVE gotten over the 1st, and biggest hurdle, which is getting a stick car moving(some will argue that there are bigger hurdles, but that's the biggie for most folks). My advice would be to get with one of your buddies who CAN drive a stick, or at least owns one, and see if he or she will let you drive it around. Not a good idea to sink $10k+ into a car and then destroy the clutch/transmission because you THINK you can drive a stick.

5. There is a welcome/new owners section.

6. If you put Lambo doors on a Z, someone will find you and kick your @$$!

Looks like you and poolguy have a pretty good dialogue going so, have at it. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. The 350Z is a performance sports car and upkeep will be more expensive than a Mercury. The motor will give you 100,000 miles plus, but you will be putting out dollars for brakes, tires and other wear-and tear-components.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by pbass6811
Just wanted to say welcome to the forums. I'm new to the Z world, but I'm an "older" guy. I will pass along what little wisdom I've acquired since I've been on this forum:

1. Before you ask ANY question, use the SEARCH function. This forum, like most forums, is filled with very knowledgeable and helpful people. BUT, these folks are not very tolerant of someone who won't help themselves! You probably won't think of any question that hasn't already been asked, and answered, somewhere on this forum.

2. Grow a thick skin. You've pretty much doomed yourself into never being taken very seriously because a.) you're 17 & b.) you're asking questions about a car you don't own. I personally don't have any problems with you being a teenager, I have 2 of my own, but the majority of "older" guys on here are probably hard working adults who have been driving Z's since '03 and appreciate the whole experience. I will tell you that every time you post, unless you have something very insightful to add, you'll probably be dismissed and/or flamed. It's not just you. That's just the way it is, so get used to it.

3. Planning ahead is a great idea, asking what parts you should put on a car you don't own probably isn't a great idea.

4. If you've only driven 100ft in a stick, no matter how many times you've done it, you CAN'T drive a stick. Having said that, you HAVE gotten over the 1st, and biggest hurdle, which is getting a stick car moving(some will argue that there are bigger hurdles, but that's the biggie for most folks). My advice would be to get with one of your buddies who CAN drive a stick, or at least owns one, and see if he or she will let you drive it around. Not a good idea to sink $10k+ into a car and then destroy the clutch/transmission because you THINK you can drive a stick.

5. There is a welcome/new owners section.

6. If you put Lambo doors on a Z, someone will find you and kick your @$$!

Looks like you and poolguy have a pretty good dialogue going so, have at it. Good luck!
Are you a colts fan?!

And I love your post!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
davidv

How many miles are on the Mercury?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
davidv

If you can drive a manual transmission 100 feet the rest will be a cake walk.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:22 PM
pbass6811

Are you a colts fan?!

And I love your post!
Why yes, yes I am! ! Thanks! Trying to be as helpful as I can.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:28 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by pbass6811
Why yes, yes I am! ! Thanks! Trying to be as helpful as I can.
Well that can be a problem between us then (Go Eagles)!

P.S. a guy just flamed me for my age. So you will see it a lot but do not get mad and become immature about it. Get used to it on this forum!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM
SatchScream

Why because he is young?
Just saying, for where he is right now, a Z might be a little much while trying to go to school at the same time.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by SatchScream
Just saying, for where he is right now, a Z might be a little much while trying to go to school at the same time.
Yea I understand but the way you said it. $50 per day is easy to achieve! He can do it!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 AM
*Boose*

First and foremost welcome. Secondly the Z may be a little much for you for right now. As you said 1) you've only driven manual at the car wash you work at. The Z has alot of power and in the wrong hands can only unleash that power in a manner you may not be able to control. Might even kill you or whoever. That's the primary reason alot of us Z owners say that a Z is not for everyone. Primarily in the teens or even younger 20's.

Also the way you're making it seem is like you're on the edge of really being able to afford a Z. You say year doesn't matter but do you know what you're getting yourself into? The most problematic ones are out of warranty so if your car needs a trans at a high mileage that comes out of your pockets. Expect 2-3k for that job. Plus alot of other maint issues that could show up and you working towards school, and working at a dead end job really doesn't qualify you for a Z just yet.

I used to work at a car wash and would really kick myself in the face if I had a car payment working at 1) a dead end job and 2) a job that may lay me off at anytime.

Also insurance whether you're under your parents name or not will be a minimum of 250. With car payments you cannot get away with the liability so you need that comprehensive and collision. Not sure if you were aware.

But this post is not to scare you off but just a slight check of reality and what owning a Z is like.

Quick Reply: interested in the 350z.