Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Can't decide! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Johnanyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks scotts! I'll check again and see if there is an ad for the 370z. When I talked to a salesman on the phone, he just said it was the base model.
John
Old 10-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnanyz
Thanks again scotts300! Excellent advice which I will use next week! Any thoughts as to the condition of the 350zr knowing it was a commercially leased car...i.e. good or bad or indifferent?
don't even mess around with the 350.... unless you HAVE to have a convertable. it is older, has more miles, is slower, heavier, handles poorer and costs more than the 370.

Even if it is a base, the 370 would still be my choice... but again, get an LSD. Limited Slip Differential. The base model will have an open diff, meaning you will have a one wheel wonder.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

370z hands down..

if you have to buy a 350z then get an 07-08, but never buy any convertible Z
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Johnanyz

Smile

Thank you all for all your suggestions, advice, and opinions. You've been extremely helpful. I'm leaning towards the 370z. Living in CT, I can probably count the fingers on one hand the number of times I would have the top down on the 350zr anyway. Navigation system is important to me however and I'm hoping one could be installed and if so, maybe I can use that to negotiate the final price. I'll test drive them early next week. This site is awesome and I can't wait to become an "official" member of the Z family and to be able to talk about MY Z! Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by singh
370z hands down..

if you have to buy a 350z then get an 07-08, but never buy any convertible Z
The ZR he is looking at is an 08, and why "never buy any convertible Z"? My wife's has been nearly problem-free for 5 years and 80,000 miles. It has needed ONE $55 sensor.

Thank you all for all your suggestions, advice, and opinions. You've been extremely helpful. I'm leaning towards the 370z. Living in CT, I can probably count the fingers on one hand the number of times I would have the top down on the 350zr anyway. Navigation system is important to me however and I'm hoping one could be installed and if so, maybe I can use that to negotiate the final price. I'll test drive them early next week. This site is awesome and I can't wait to become an "official" member of the Z family and to be able to talk about MY Z! Thanks again!
Custom nav install will be ridiculously expensive. You are way better off, IMO, getting an aftermarket portable system for $150-600. Like I said thrice now, drive them both and then come back - don't settle after driving just one, take pictures, and come back here to chat about the one you've decided on.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Johnanyz

Hey guys...the convertible IS an '07. I will be checking both of them out on Monday and Tues. And you're right scotts300, getting an aftermarket nav IS the way to go. That's a simple fix! I think the convertible is a personal preference but the '07 is a Grand Touring Roadster with many options that is very enticing. The 370z is a base model. But as scotts says, the deciding factor will be in the driving and of course the deal I can get. I'll report back next week. Thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Johnanyz

Default a review with pics

Hey guys...I picked up the 370z last night and the dealer is letting me borrow it for the day. Unfortunately I will have to return it tonight. I will be checking out the '07 350zr tonight. Here are my impressions and thoughts regarding the 370z. In a nutshell, to go from my '08 Altima 3.5 SE to the 370z is giving up luxury for performance. My Altima is fully loaded...nav, xm sat radio, sun roof, leather etc. The 370z is the base model and it's all about performance. But what performance it is!!! Going through the gears is shear pleaasure. Although, I have to say that it was very difficult to get a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd. It almost sounds kind of "clanky" which is the only way I could describe it. Keep in mind that it only has 6,000 miles on it. It could be me however and may not be evident with a little more time with the car. Has anybody noticed that in any of their z's. I loved the driving position but the view outside the side and back windows took a while to get used to. Changing lanes attempting to use the back side window is nonexistant and the use of the side mirrors is mandatory. It was fun drving it last night but it was a little hard getting used to the differences compared to the Altima. But this morning I took it on my 1 hour drive to work and I'm loving it. I can't wait to leave work! I will check out the '07 zr tonight and will give you my impressions. Pics are attached! If you have read this far, thanks for letting me ramble and your interest as well as any thoughts you have.
Attached Thumbnails Can't decide! HELP!!!-img_0451.jpg   Can't decide! HELP!!!-img_0452.jpg   Can't decide! HELP!!!-img_0454.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Hey guys...I picked up the 370z last night and the dealer is letting me borrow it for the day. Unfortunately I will have to return it tonight. I will be checking out the '07 350zr tonight. Here are my impressions and thoughts regarding the 370z. In a nutshell, to go from my '08 Altima 3.5 SE to the 370z is giving up luxury for performance. My Altima is fully loaded...nav, xm sat radio, sun roof, leather etc. The 370z is the base model and it's all about performance. But what performance it is!!! Going through the gears is shear pleaasure. Although, I have to say that it was very difficult to get a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd. It almost sounds kind of "clanky" which is the only way I could describe it. Keep in mind that it only has 6,000 miles on it. It could be me however and may not be evident with a little more time with the car. Has anybody noticed that in any of their z's. I loved the driving position but the view outside the side and back windows took a while to get used to. Changing lanes attempting to use the back side window is nonexistant and the use of the side mirrors is mandatory. It was fun drving it last night but it was a little hard getting used to the differences compared to the Altima. But this morning I took it on my 1 hour drive to work and I'm loving it. I can't wait to leave work! I will check out the '07 zr tonight and will give you my impressions. Pics are attached! If you have read this far, thanks for letting me ramble and your interest as well as any thoughts you have.
Good to see you are getting a day+ with the 370. Most dealers went away from letting potential buyers take a car for a day. I did this with my first 300ZX twin-turbo, which I did end up buying. You are right about using the rear side windows - no use in them besides extra light to the trunk.

You're doing it right - now go drive the LOADED ZR. Be sure to ask each dealer what they can go down to with price so you can start your pro/con list. Just do not offer them a price or you'll end up walking away with the car that day. Best thing would be to drive the 370 to the dealership that has the 350ZR!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Johnanyz

Smile

Thanks scotts300 for the advice as well as all your other helpful stuff. Hey...what did you think about my comment regarding the shift transition between 1st and 2nd. Is that normal?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely get the sport package! the base model looks kind of bland when compared to the sport package..
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks scotts300 for the advice as well as all your other helpful stuff. Hey...what did you think about my comment regarding the shift transition between 1st and 2nd. Is that normal?
I have driven the same 370 a few times. Nothing stood out about the 1->2 shift, but who knows how hard the dealer drove it. It is under warranty though.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Johnanyz

Default A review and now comes the decision!!!

Hey guys...I drove the '07 350zr last night. Here are my thoughts! First of all, it is a Touring model, not Grand Touring as I believe someone pointed out. I did like the convertible but at my mid life age, I can't remember if I have ever been in a convertible before so it was kind of a novelty. Again, living in CT, I probably could count the number of times I would have the top down in the course of a year on the fingers of one hand. So is the convertible nice...yes..but I don't have to have it. Plus, I like the style of the 370z coupe much better. With 25k+ miles on the 350zr, the paint as expected was not showroom fresh with several dings and what looks like a prematurely faded out hood. Overall however, the condition of the paint was good. The top was in good condition. The interior could not hold a candle to the 370z with very bland (white/yellowish) colored instrumentation on the gauges and an overall "vanilla" feel at least in my opinion. And scotts300, I don't know how you saw this in any previous pics but you're correct, the stock shift **** was replaced with an aftermarket chrome piece which I could only describe as the size of a toilet paper tube. It wasn't for me! The built in nav system was very nice but I could always buy an even nicer Garmin etc for the 370z. I have to say that the 350zr drove very well. The problem I had with shifting from 1st to 2nd in the 370z was non-existant in the 350zr. In fact I would say that shifting up or down was smooth as silk. I took a ride in the 370z with the salesman and I told him about the shifting problem. He drove it and he could not duplicate what I sensed so it must be my driving habit but damn if I know what I'm doing to create the jerking sensation and clanking noise I'm hearing when I go from 1st to 2nd. One extra plus about the 350zr is that it had an after market exhaust. "NISMO" was imprinted on the tail pipes. You guys would know what that is so help me out with that please! It had a VERY nice sound, much more of a growl than the 370z. The trunk space on the 350zr was minimal obviously because of the convert. I didn't like the antenna on back of the 350zr and I'm spoiled with the keyless start after having my '08 Altima which the 370z has. I LOVE the red of the 370z over the black 350zr. Both cars are the same price...around 25k and they are both at the same dealership. I told the salesman that I would think about it for a couple of days and then will sit down with them to talk numbers. I plan to trade my Altima 3.5 SE which I should get around 18+k. I attached some pics of the 350zr and took a pic of them side by side. So thats it...what do you think and as I started my thread..."Can't decide! HELP". Thanks guys and thanks for reading this far and for your suggestions and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails Can't decide! HELP!!!-img_0457.jpg   Can't decide! HELP!!!-img_0461.jpg  

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-07-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Johnanyz

Default sorry...wrong info!

I initially said in an earlier thread that each car was at a different dealer. Both cars are at the same dealer. Sorry about that! I edited the post where I made the incorrect statement.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Hey guys...I drove the '07 350zr last night. Here are my thoughts! First of all, it is a Touring model, not Grand Touring as I believe someone pointed out. I did like the convertible but at my mid life age, I can't remember if I have ever been in a convertible before so it was kind of a novelty. Again, living in CT, I probably could count the number of times I would have the top down in the course of a year on the fingers of one hand. So is the convertible nice...yes..but I don't have to have it. Plus, I like the style of the 370z coupe much better. With 25k+ miles on the 350zr, the paint as expected was not showroom fresh with several dings and what looks like a prematurely faded out hood. Overall however, the condition of the paint was good. The top was in good condition. The interior could not hold a candle to the 370z with very bland (white/yellowish) colored instrumentation on the gauges and an overall "vanilla" feel at least in my opinion. And scotts300, I don't know how you saw this in any previous pics but you're correct, the stock shift **** was replaced with an aftermarket chrome piece which I could only describe as the size of a toilet paper tube. It wasn't for me! The built in nav system was very nice but I could always buy an even nicer Garmin etc for the 370z. I have to say that the 350zr drove very well. The problem I had with shifting from 1st to 2nd in the 370z was non-existant in the 350zr. In fact I would say that shifting up or down was smooth as silk. I took a ride in the 370z with the salesman and I told him about the shifting problem. He drove it and he could not duplicate what I sensed so it must be my driving habit but damn if I know what I'm doing to create the jerking sensation and clanking noise I'm hearing when I go from 1st to 2nd. One extra plus about the 350zr is that it had an after market exhaust. "NISMO" was imprinted on the tail pipes. You guys would know what that is so help me out with that please! It had a VERY nice sound, much more of a growl than the 370z. The trunk space on the 350zr was minimal obviously because of the convert. I didn't like the antenna on back of the 350zr and I'm spoiled with the keyless start after having my '08 Altima which the 370z has. I LOVE the red of the 370z over the black 350zr. Both cars are the same price...around 25k and they are both at the same dealership. I told the salesman that I would think about it for a couple of days and then will sit down with them to talk numbers. I plan to trade my Altima 3.5 SE which I should get around 18+k. I attached some pics of the 350zr and took a pic of them side by side. So thats it...what do you think and as I started my thread..."Can't decide! HELP". Thanks guys and thanks for reading this far and for your suggestions and opinions.
So, in summary, you more-or-less like both cars and they both have their pros and cons. You've done and continue to do your homework, which is commendable. Most people (younger generations) come on here and blabber about a Z they PLAN to buy but ask for our input, don't update the thread, don't post pictures, and disappear or don't listen and overpay.

As an outsider, it seems you'd be better suited with the 370. I wouldn't worry much about the 1-2 shift, although I wouldn't believe the salesperson who drove it either. The car is under warranty, and you can keep on them about the problem if it doesn't go away over time (i.e. how YOU are shifting it).

I found and looked at their website. I see the ZR, but not the 370 in either their new or pre-owned inventory, which is odd. Regardless, to fairly price the 370, take a good picture of the original window sticker and tell us if it has any of these things (I can tell it doesn't have S01, but you get the idea):

S01 Sport Package
K96 Aero Package
B95 Painted Splash Guards (typically added)
P93 Illuminated Kick Plates
L92 Carpeted Floor Mats (typically added)
T94 Carpeted Trunk Mat (typically added)

As I said before, ASSUMING it has the 3 typically added options, the invoice on that car WHEN NEW is just over $29k ($29,082), and people are paying just over invoice, in general, for the base model 370Z. After subtracting the dealer holdback, they paid $28,500 for that car then put 6000 miles on it. Speaking of the mileage, I'd certainly confirm there is a Nissan stamp in the service book showing that the oil was changed at the dealership.

If they are asking ~$25k for that car, I actually think that's a decent deal which is still negotiable. If they are asking $25, they have $2k more wiggle room. You should tell them you're not sure which one - if either - you are interested in moving on. Ask them what prices they can offer for each one. Tell them you want $18k for your trade-in so that they can base their pricing of the Zs on your desired trade-in value. You might be unpleasantly surprised at what they'll really give you for trade-in $. Have they looked at your Altima already and offered anything?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Johnanyz

Smile

I can't thank you enough for all your excellent suggestions scotts300 all of which I will take heed. The reason the ZR is not on their website is because that car was originally at another dealer and I had them drive it down so I could make a deal with the one dealer who I had bought my Altima and the one who has the 370z (reason for the 2 dealership confusion in my initial post). I am very pleased with this dealership, trust them as much as a dealership could be trusted, and is close to my home. But looking back at it now, this was probably a mistake on my part since I could have played one against another. But thats water under the bridge. Anyway, it really doesn't matter since I prefer the 370z. Having said all that, I can tell you that according to your list of features, it does NOT have the Sports Package, Aero Package nor illuminated kick plates but DOES have painted splash guards and carpeted floor and trunk mats. One other notable is that the 370z was a demo at this dealership and was driven by the Financial Director there. I actually talked to him and he said how much he loved the car. My only concern was that when I asked him what kind of gas he put in just as a ha ha (I thought for sure he would say only premium), he told me that he put in regular because the Service Mgr said it was okay...hmmmm, I'm not liking that!!! Oddly enough, the Altima that I bought from this dealer was also a demo and again driven by the same guy. The Altima was in perfect condition as is the 370z. Anyway, thanks for the financial advice. It will surely come in handy!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I can't thank you enough for all your excellent suggestions scotts300 all of which I will take heed. The reason the ZR is not on their website is because that car was originally at another dealer and I had them drive it down so I could make a deal with the one dealer who I had bought my Altima and the one who has the 370z (reason for the 2 dealership confusion in my initial post). I am very pleased with this dealership, trust them as much as a dealership could be trusted, and is close to my home. But looking back at it now, this was probably a mistake on my part since I could have played one against another. But thats water under the bridge. Anyway, it really doesn't matter since I prefer the 370z. Having said all that, I can tell you that according to your list of features, it does NOT have the Sports Package, Aero Package nor illuminated kick plates but DOES have painted splash guards and carpeted floor and trunk mats. One other notable is that the 370z was a demo at this dealership and was driven by the Financial Director there. I actually talked to him and he said how much he loved the car. My only concern was that when I asked him what kind of gas he put in just as a ha ha (I thought for sure he would say only premium), he told me that he put in regular because the Service Mgr said it was okay...hmmmm, I'm not liking that!!! Oddly enough, the Altima that I bought from this dealer was also a demo and again driven by the same guy. The Altima was in perfect condition as is the 370z. Anyway, thanks for the financial advice. It will surely come in handy!
Awesome, and you're welcome.

Let us know what they will give you for the Altima, then strategize on bringing an offer to the table.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Johnanyz

Thanks again scotts300! Hey...I just got an interesting phone call from the salesman of the 370z. He told me that someone came in this morning and was interested in it and asked if I wanted to put down $100 deposit to hold it which I would get back if I didn't want the car. I first told him that I would be down later today to pay the deposit but then called him back saying I changed my mind on the deposit. First of all, this could just be a pressuring ploy which of course he said it wasn't. Secondly, I'm a firm believer in fate so if the car is sold before I can make a deal with them, then it wasn't meant to be. Also, I think it's good for them to know that I'm not a desperate buyer. I plan to sit down with them early next week if the car is not sold. Just thought I'd give you an update.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks again scotts300! Hey...I just got an interesting phone call from the salesman of the 370z. He told me that someone came in this morning and was interested in it and asked if I wanted to put down $100 deposit to hold it which I would get back if I didn't want the car. I first told him that I would be down later today to pay the deposit but then called him back saying I changed my mind on the deposit. First of all, this could just be a pressuring ploy which of course he said it wasn't. Secondly, I'm a firm believer in fate so if the car is sold before I can make a deal with them, then it wasn't meant to be. Also, I think it's good for them to know that I'm not a desperate buyer. I plan to sit down with them early next week if the car is not sold. Just thought I'd give you an update.
Likely a ploy, you made a good decision. You should have asked him how much they were willing to take for it while you had him on the phone.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Johnanyz

Smile

Ya really!!! I'll let you know how it plays out! Thanks for your interest.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Johnanyz

Default New dilemma!

I did some soul searching last night and realized a couple of things. I liked the black '07 350zr Touring more than the red '09 370z Base. I know that this is in contrast to other opinions but in a nutshell, it drove better and just plain felt better even with it's 25k+ miles compared to the 6k+miles of the 370z. Shifting was flawless, and as I said earlier it felt "smooth as silk". I'm having trouble getting past the very rough transition from 1st to 2nd in the 370z and although it may take practice to smooth things out (IF thats the case), I shouldn't have to nor do I want to practice with it considering I've been driving manual T's for more than 35 years. And I do like the convertible more. I can't deny it! The fact that it has power everything, plus navigation, Bose stereo, multi disc changer is just a plus. Yes the interior has less flair but I can live witht that! And the fact that it has some minor dings will only help to lower the asking price. But here's my dilemma! I had the dealer who I am shopping with (for the sake of explanation, I'll call them G) take the '07 350zr from another dealer (called H) so I can compare both. So if I was interested in the 350zr, my dealer G would purchase it from the other dealer H and sell to me. The question is, do you think I would get a better deal working directly with dealer H, dealer G. or should it matter? I've done all my business with dealer G so far. I kind of feel that I'm befriending dealer G by dealing with dealer H. But then again, business is buisness! What do you think! Hey scotts300, I'd love to hear your opinion and suggestion on this. You'e helped me a lot so far. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can't decide! HELP!!!