Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Can't decide! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnanyz
I did some soul searching last night and realized a couple of things. I liked the black '07 350zr Touring more than the red '09 370z Base. I know that this is in contrast to other opinions but in a nutshell, it drove better and just plain felt better even with it's 25k+ miles compared to the 6k+miles of the 370z. Shifting was flawless, and as I said earlier it felt "smooth as silk". I'm having trouble getting past the very rough transition from 1st to 2nd in the 370z and although it may take practice to smooth things out (IF thats the case), I shouldn't have to nor do I want to practice with it considering I've been driving manual T's for more than 35 years. And I do like the convertible more. I can't deny it! The fact that it has power everything, plus navigation, Bose stereo, multi disc changer is just a plus. Yes the interior has less flair but I can live witht that! And the fact that it has some minor dings will only help to lower the asking price. But here's my dilemma! I had the dealer who I am shopping with (for the sake of explanation, I'll call them G) take the '07 350zr from another dealer (called H) so I can compare both. So if I was interested in the 350zr, my dealer G would purchase it from the other dealer H and sell to me. The question is, do you think I would get a better deal working directly with dealer H, dealer G. or should it matter? I've done all my business with dealer G so far. I kind of feel that I'm befriending dealer G by dealing with dealer H. But then again, business is buisness! What do you think! Hey scotts300, I'd love to hear your opinion and suggestion on this. You'e helped me a lot so far. Thanks!
Like you said, business is business. They either traded the car for another one or are going to get a cut of the profits. I would call dealer H and say that you saw a black ZR on their lot a few weeks ago and were curious if they still had it and what the asking price was for it. See if they say "it sold, call dealer G" or whatever.

At the end of the day, offer $22k for it. Point out that their asking price is based on it being a Grand Touring, which you know it's not. They likely gave about $20k as a trade-in on that car. That mileage is fair for the year. If they don't take like $22.5k that day, leave. You can set whatever upper limit YOU want, but anything over ~$23.5k in my opinion is overpaying. You have to start low so that there is room to negotiate. If you come right out with $23.5k, they'll frown, but meet you in the middle at $25k, and you'll overpay. I need you to report back here and say that they laughed at you and you walked away. Then you can meet in the middle at a respectable price. If the car is a certified used vehicle, which extends the basic warranty to 7/100, there is some value (~$500) in that.

More seriously, and also of interesting to note, is WHEN the car was first sold. You need the exact day, which is shown in their computers and/or Carfax. You have 3 years from that day (or 36k miles) to get any TSBs or problems addressed.

Remember - you also need them to throw in an OEM shifter, even if they have to pull it from another car.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Johnanyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey scotts300...I'm starting to take you for granted. I was getting a little worried that it took you "so long" for a response which was longer than the usual half hour wait . Thanks so much! Great advice as usual! $22k-$22.5k sounds right to me also. I wouldn't go higher than $23.5k for sure! I'm going away for a few days after tomorrow and will wait until early next week to call H if they got it back or G if they have it now. If it's sold by then by either dealer, then so be it. Now that I have driven the 350zr and the 370z, I know it's the "mid-life crisis" car I want and will get one in the near future if not this one. Just so I have the knowledge, what are the basic differences between the Grand Touring and Touring just in case they insist that it's a Grand Touring as advertised? Also, what's your feeling about the NISMO exhaust the 350zr has? It sounds awesome! Anyways...thanks again and your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Hey scotts300...I'm starting to take you for granted. I was getting a little worried that it took you "so long" for a response which was longer than the usual half hour wait . Thanks so much! Great advice as usual! $22k-$22.5k sounds right to me also. I wouldn't go higher than $23.5k for sure! I'm going away for a few days after tomorrow and will wait until early next week to call H if they got it back or G if they have it now. If it's sold by then by either dealer, then so be it. Now that I have driven the 350zr and the 370z, I know it's the "mid-life crisis" car I want and will get one in the near future if not this one. Just so I have the knowledge, what are the basic differences between the Grand Touring and Touring just in case they insist that it's a Grand Touring as advertised? Also, what's your feeling about the NISMO exhaust the 350zr has? It sounds awesome! Anyways...thanks again and your help is greatly appreciated!
Sorry for the delay earlier!
I would make your offer BEFORE you go away, just to lay the groundwork and to let them sweat it while you're away. Make the $22k offer, and if they take it, congrats! If not (I assume they won't), then go on your trip.

The Touring adds leather seats and an optional navigation system. The Grand Touring adds has a front and rear spoiler, Brembo brakes and vehicle stability control. The easiest thing that stood out to me in their online ad was the brakes, which is also the easiest thing to point out to them, so whack of $1500 right away. It's a common "mistake" dealers make. Here are two others listed as GTs that aren't:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

and one that's right (see the gold Brembo brakes?):

The NISMO exhaust is a good add-on, but don't play it up. It likely cost someone over $1k for it, and although I doubt you'll get the stock exhaust, if you lead on that you "like" it, they'll try to add in the value. I would, however, ask if there are any warranty implications because of the exhaust. It is a NISMO product, but Nissan is so **** about honoring the warranty when you modify things, it would be good to get something from them in writing that the aftermarket exhaust does not affect the warranty at all.

Have you discussed your trade-in with them at all? I'd do that next, before making any offer.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Johnanyz

Hi...back from my trip. Thanks again scotts300 for your advice and facts and figures! I have been anquishing over my decision all weekend between both cars (yes still...can you believe it?). One day I decide on the 07 350zr Touring Roadster and the next on the '09 370z Base. I'm having a hard time with the '07 because of the mileage (25+k), the nicks in the paint, and the bland interior but love the convertible and the options (all power and nav system) and it shifted very smoothly. I'm having a hard time with the '09 370z because of the Base model, the fact that it's a coupe rather than convertible, and I can't get past the fact that shifts from 1st to 2nd were so rough but love the red, the interior, the extra horsepower, and the fact that it has only 6+k miles. My head tells me to put an offer in for the 370z because of the low miles. I guess if I'm unhappy with that after a few years, I can get the convertible next As you said scotts300, my first move will be to see how much I can get for the Altima which I will do sometime this week. That alone may act as a deciding factor. I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:34 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Hi...back from my trip. Thanks again scotts300 for your advice and facts and figures! I have been anquishing over my decision all weekend between both cars (yes still...can you believe it?). One day I decide on the 07 350zr Touring Roadster and the next on the '09 370z Base. I'm having a hard time with the '07 because of the mileage (25+k), the nicks in the paint, and the bland interior but love the convertible and the options (all power and nav system) and it shifted very smoothly. I'm having a hard time with the '09 370z because of the Base model, the fact that it's a coupe rather than convertible, and I can't get past the fact that shifts from 1st to 2nd were so rough but love the red, the interior, the extra horsepower, and the fact that it has only 6+k miles. My head tells me to put an offer in for the 370z because of the low miles. I guess if I'm unhappy with that after a few years, I can get the convertible next As you said scotts300, my first move will be to see how much I can get for the Altima which I will do sometime this week. That alone may act as a deciding factor. I'll keep you posted!
Drive them both again, and see what each will give you for the Altima based on the pricing of the Zs.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Johnanyz

Thanks scotts300....again I made an appointment for Friday morning so I'll let you know what happens. I did some research regarding the TMV (Total Market Value) and dealer invoice on the 370z and the TMV on the 350z as well as Kelly Blue Book pricing. I also found a source online(www.articlesbase.com) who wrote an article "Are Dealer Demo Models Really Good" in regards to the 370z which was a dealer demo. VERY interesting!!! It said to take off 10% off the TMV if the demo car is under 6 months old and 20% off if it's older than 6 months. Also, multiply the mileage by .15 (cents per mile) and subtract that from the TMV. So according to that, I should be asking $22,435 for the 370z. The asking price for the 350zr is $25,987 which is quite a bit lower than the Kelly Blue Book Dealer suggested price of $27,680 but thats if it's in excellent condition. There are quite a few imperfections on the 350zr which should bring the price down even further but I was surprised as to that retail price with $25k+ miles so it seems that the value of the '07 350zr is higher than the 370z even though it is 2 years older and has 25k+ miles. My Altima is in excellent condition which is valued at $18,600 according to Kelly which I will take no less than $18,500. So I've done my homework and will bring it Friday. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again scotts300

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-14-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks scotts300....again I made an appointment for Friday morning so I'll let you know what happens. I did some research regarding the TMV (Total Market Value) and dealer invoice on the 370z and the TMV on the 350z as well as Kelly Blue Book pricing. I also found a source online(www.articlesbase.com) who wrote an article "Are Dealer Demo Models Really Good" in regards to the 370z which was a dealer demo. VERY interesting!!! It said to take off 10% off the TMV if the demo car is under 6 months old and 20% off if it's older than 6 months. Also, multiply the mileage by .15 (cents per mile) and subtract that from the TMV. So according to that, I should be asking $22,435 for the 370z. The asking price for the 350zr is $25,987 which is quite a bit lower than the Kelly Blue Book Dealer suggested price of $27,680 but thats if it's in excellent condition. There are quite a few imperfections on the 350zr which should bring the price down even further but I was surprised as to that retail price with $25k+ miles so it seems that the value of the '07 350zr is higher than the 370z even though it is 2 years older and has 25k+ miles. My Altima is in excellent condition which is valued at $18,600 according to Kelly which I will take no less than $18,500. So I've done my homework and will bring it Friday. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again scotts300
So our "offer" on the 370 was pretty good, eh? I may have said this already, possibly more than once, but make sure you negotiate the deals separately (the new car and your trade-in), OR have a solid number in your head about what your max is for paying for the 370 or the ZR then subtract your $18.5k from it. Sadly, I fear they are going to be at least $2k far from what you want for the trade-in. Are both cars still at the same dealership? Was that ZR price based on it being a Grand Touring? Remember that it isn't!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The asking price for the 350zr is $25,987 which is quite a bit lower than the Kelly Blue Book Dealer suggested price of $27,680 but thats if it's in excellent condition. There are quite a few imperfections on the 350zr which should bring the price down even further but I was surprised as to that retail price with $25k+ miles so it seems that the value of the '07 350zr is higher than the 370z even though it is 2 years older and has 25k+ miles. My Altima is in excellent condition which is valued at $18,600 according to Kelly which I will take no less than $18,500. So I've done my homework and will bring it Friday. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again scotts300
I don't ever look at the Kelly Dealer retail price. Use Kelly, NADA, Edmunds, etc.. to come up with what the trade-in value is for the 350ZR. That is likely close to what the dealer paid for the car. I start at that point. See if you can find out how long the 350ZR has been on the lot. Ask for a carfax as often that can give you an idea of how long the dealer has had it. If they have had a convertible sitting on the lot for 4-6 months, with winter approaching, they are likely just going to want to get out from under it. They are not going to be able to sell a convertible sports car in the winter in CT.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Johnanyz

I'll say it was "pretty good"...more like right on! Good job Scotts300 Absolutely...my game plan is to ask about the trade on my car first. Kelly Blue book has my Altima listed at $18,600 in excellent condition and it is in pristine condition. I won't except much less than that...certainly no less than 18k. I'm pretty solid on $22.5k for the 370z and will walk out the door with that offer. If they call me back, I'll settle for 23k..thats it. Both cars are at the same dealership and they are aware that the zr is listed incorrectly...they actually pointed it out to me. Thanks for chiming in dhays I actually got my TMV from Edmunds. I did do a carfax report on the zr and it came back clean. It had been a leased car to Nissan employees. I agree with you're point about the convertible in CT...I think they will have trouble selling that car this time of year. I have to say that with the help I have been getting from you folks, especially you scotts300 I have never been so prepared to buy a car and I have bought several in my lifetime. I wish I had this knowledge when I bought my dealer demo Altima which also had 6K miles on it. I paid too much for it and won't make the same mistake. The Altima and the 370z are USED... and the price should reflect that. Thank you both for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow. I don't know where you live scotts300, but if all this goes according to plan, I'd love to buy you a beer...and talk zs of course Actually...the farther you live the better! Afterall...it's all about the drive

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-15-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I don't know where you live scotts300, but if all this goes according to plan, I'd love to buy you a beer...and talk zs of course Actually...the farther you live the better! Afterall...it's all about the drive
Only 2500 miles away in northern California! I really hope it works out for you. I gained a lot of experience after a Nissan Maxima debacle that I actually returned (but not a lemon) about 30 days after I bought it. I learned a lot during that transaction, as well as my most recent dealership purchases of an 04' G35 and our 04' Titan. When I bought the Titan the dealership pulled that "premium for options that are standard", as did 2 other dealerships I looked at used Titans at. Like I said, they laughed when I made my offer, and we settled for like $400 more. THEN I discussed my trade-in.

Looking forward to tomorrow and your new Z (Z33 or Z34?)!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Johnanyz

Hey...Northern CA, that's not far from CT and as you said, only 2500 miles My wife and I always wanted to go (never been west of PA) as she has a relative in So Cal so from there we can make the trip up north. I figure...I'll pick up the new z/zr on Monday after making a deal I can't refuse and we'll drive across country and should be there by the weekend. It will be a nice drive in my new z Actually, my wife just called and said it's snowing at our house....first of the year. CA hear we come Leave a light on

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-15-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Johnanyz

Default No deal!

Unfortunatley a deal could not be made in my hope to purchase the 370z which I decided on buying rather than the '07 350zr. With the help of you scotts300 and my own homework, I was prepared to offer them a fair deal. First problem was that they offered me $17k for my Altima. I started at $18.5 and came down to $18k so still $1k less than my lowest offer. Interesting enough, the car was in the showroom and had a price on the windshield of $26,400 which is $1K higher than what my salesman verbally quoted me when I first looked at the car...hmmmm! They would not budge from that figure. So at least for now, unless they call me to negotiate further, the deal is off. I left there a little disappointed but with my head held high that I did not cave to their inflated price. I did my homework and I think that they weren't prepared for it. I know that they will have a hard time selling that car especially now after our first snowfall in our area. Good luck to them! I wouldn't be surprised if I got a call to renegotiate. If not, I'll buy another z sooner than later, at MY price. At least I know that I love the z and had fun taking it for a day. I'm sure there is another z right around the corner. Thank you scotts300 for ALL your help. Take care!

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-16-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Unfortunatley a deal could not be made in my hope to purchase the 370z which I decided on buying rather than the '07 350zr. With the help of you scotts300 and my own homework, I was prepared to offer them a fair deal. First problem was that they offered me $17k for my Altima. I started at $18.5 and came down to $18k so still $1k less than my lowest offer. Interesting enough, the car was in the showroom and had a price on the windshield of $26,400 which is $1K higher than what my salesman verbally quoted me when I first looked at the car...hmmmm! They would not budge from that figure. So at least for now, unless they call me to negotiate further, the deal is off. I left there a little disappointed but with my head held high that I did not cave to their inflated price. I did my homework and I think that they weren't prepared for it. I know that they will have a hard time selling that car especially now after our first snowfall in our area. Good luck to them! I wouldn't be surprised if I got a call to renegotiate. If not, I'll buy another z sooner than later, at MY price. At least I know that I love the z and had fun taking it for a day. I'm sure there is another z right around the corner. Thank you scotts300 for ALL your help. Take care!
So they held tight at the posted window sticker price? That's sad. . .
So at the end of the day, they were $1k under for your trade-in and $3,400 high on the 370. That's almost $5k - WAY too much (obviously). They likely held tightly at/near sticker for the 370 because they agreed to $17k for your trade-in. They likely would have offered a lot lower, like $15-16k ($2k "back of book" i.e. $2k under published dealer trade-in values is common). So they upped to $17k but removed the margin from the 370. Common dealership BS, which reminds me of a few months ago when I took the wife's 04' ZR to the local Nissan dealership as we were preparing to buy another G35. They offered me $14k, but then agreed to $17k to give me that warm feeling. I knew what was around the corner - $1k off of sticker of the new car. No deal! (I was just sort of feeling things out anyway.)

Anyway, they may sell that Z - and fairly so - but they may not before the winter comes (sounds like it's there already) so may sit on it (while it depreciates) until the spring. On the other hand, people are selling lightly used 370s to upgrade to other similar cars (NISMO 370, 40th anniversary Z, G37, etc.), so there will be a lot of cars for you to choose from, though your Altima is also depreciating.

Let me know when you and your wife make it out this way. . . IN A Z! Of course, update if they call you to discuss. If there's snow, that call may be around the corner.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Johnanyz

Hey scotts300...thanks soooo much Though I didn't get my z (this time), I have gained other plus's...I learned a lot about z's (love 'em), learned a lot about negotiating a deal (thank YOU), and made a z friend clear across the country I'll update my future search for my z on this thread and will update if they call back. We'll get to CA in a z yet After all, I owe you at least a handshake Take good care!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Johnanyz

Default A new offer?

I have not heard from the dealer since I made my offer last Friday morning and I'm prepared to re-negotiate. I know that my offer was quite low especially the trade value on my car. They had offered me $17k for my Altima and I wanted $18k. I am ready to make the trade-in for $17k. I didn't tell you that I was in an accident with the Altima about a year ago where someone hit me while I was stopped at a light. There was $18k damage. The dealer's auto body shop that I am working with did the repair so they know all about it. Considering this, $17k is a pretty good deal. I offered $22.5k for the 370z and they wanted $26.4k. I am ready to offer $23.5k for the z. So i.e., I plan to lower my offer $1k on the Altima and raise it $1k on the 370z. I plan to call them the middle of the week but I'm hoping to hear from them first. Obviously I really want the 370z. The '07 350z is now not an issue since I have decided on the 370z. So my question scotts300 is what do you think should be my top offer on this car. Remember, it was a dealer demo and has $6k+ miles on it. As always, I trust your opinion and advice. Hope you had a nice weekend
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like there was a 5k gap in agreeable price and you are giving them a new offer of 2k more, they may be willing to counter you, but I would imagine they are going to shoot for close to their asking price.

to the uninformed buyer, that's just a 370z with very low miles on it. being a dealer demo car wouldn't bother a large portion of the target audience.

best of luck - hope you get it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Johnanyz

I'm sure you're right about the fact that it calls for a targeted audience. But I'm kind of hoping that even a targeted audience is not going to be too interested in it at least in our area especially since we already had our first snowfall. Then again...I'm interested..so there's probably a few more out there but it's got to cut down on the numbers! Thanks...I hope I get it too! It will make a nice Christmas present....to myself
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Johnanyz

I'm sure you're right about the fact that it calls for a targeted audience. But I'm kind of hoping that even a targeted audience is not going to be too interested in it at least in our area especially since we already had our first snowfall. Then again...I'm interested..so there's probably a few more out there but it's got to cut down on the numbers! Thanks Entaille...I hope I get it too! It will make a nice Christmas present....to myself
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Weekend was good - I autox'd my track 350!

First question - have you shopped at other dealerships for a used 370 and/or looked to buy one privately?

Onto the dealership deal: If you can justify it adding $2k to the deal, I would go back to them and simply tell them you're open to re-discuss the numbers. See where they'll go with things, as you were $5k off before (which means they didn't budget on the price of the 370). If they put the ball back in your court, then I would tell them you'll accept $17k for the Altima and that you're offer on the 370 is $23k (essentially $1.5k more than what you offered before). Get them to counter, which will hopefully get you at your total of $2k more. If it doesn't work, then leave again - maybe try to sell the Altima privately to put a little more coin in your pocket.

I'd also consider getting a new salesman if he said one price on the phone but then wouldn't offer that price when you got there. One last tactic is to ask to work with the sales manager directly. It's less people to pay a commission, so he is more likely to accept an otherwise-marginal deal. He gets a commission of everyone's commission, so just cut them out of the equation. That deal I had with the Maxima was worked with the Assistant GM, and I did end up sitting down with the GM himself when I returned the car.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Johnanyz

Okay, no fair scotts300 ...now you're going to make me look like an idiot but then you know me pretty well by now What is "autox'd my track 350" mean? You're going to make me an expert yet! I know...I got a loooong way to go My offer was $22.5k before so $1.5k more would be $24k which I would be prepared to go as high. That may be my final offer however. But then....you know how much I want the 370z!!! I don't let them know that though So do you think the 370z is worth $24k? As hard as it is, I will probably wait until Wed to call them. Ideally I would like them to call me first. We'll see how it goes! Check back okay! Nice to hear from ya

Last edited by Johnanyz; 10-19-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't decide! HELP!!!