Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a car in CA(emissions) vs Another State. Pro's and Con's Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Nipz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car in CA(emissions) vs Another State. Pro's and Con's Questions

Hello! I'm currently looking for my first Z and i live in Texas. As i'm looking around and researching i'm finding a lot of clean cars in CA and i'm really thinking about buying one.

I've been doing some research on CA emissions vs other states and i'm having a really hard time finding some really concrete answers. I've done multiple searches on the website and on google. I can find a bunch of info about WHAT the CA emission standards are and a lot of rumors about how these standards make CA cars less powerful and what not. But no where can i find some good solid info about how they relate. I've heard that CA cars have more parts on them to help regulate emissions. Then again i'm reading that they just have Cats, which we have here as well and if thats the case then who cares.

My main question is about this whole CA vs other states and where is a good place to purchase a car. I'm not sure at all if this question is even relevant considering everything i have been reading is rumor or unconfirmed(at least in my research) mumbo jumbo. So i'm hoping someone has done some research better than me and can answer how the CA emission standards affect an engines performance and mpg. AKA should i 'not' buy a car from CA because it will have less power? Or am i just being ridiculous?

As a side note for people that have bought cars out of your own state, what was your experience and any advice you can give me?

Last edited by Nipz; 02-02-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
DB350

My take on it is that cars from CA, or other emission-istic cities, are probably better running then ones from less treehugger states, as if they start to suck at running they won't pass emissions.

That being said, lots of sexy z's in cali
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all the Z's sold in the US are CA compliant for emissions. You will find a lot of nice Z's here for sale. What are you looking for Op? Ca also has a lot of Modded Z's for sale too. Also of course this forum has a lot of Z's for sale.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Zing!

1 question why so far?
maybe the car is in texas but was originally a Cali car?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I think all the Z's sold in the US are CA compliant for emissions. You will find a lot of nice Z's here for sale. What are you looking for Op? Ca also has a lot of Modded Z's for sale too. Also of course this forum has a lot of Z's for sale.
Correct. New vehicles registered in California are:

50 State/California Certified
or
California Certified

Does not mean that a 350Z sold in California is different than a 350Z sold in Texas. Same vehicle.

There is no advantage or disadnantage buying a 350Z in California or Texas. Same car.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
davidv

The Top-10 350Z states are:

#1 - California
#2 - Texas
#3 - Florida
#4 - New York
#5 - New Jersey
# 6 - Georgia
#7 - Maryland
#8 - Pennsylvania
#9 - Virginia
#10 - Illinois

BTW Texas is the second most popular 350Z state. The assumption that “All the clean 350Zs are in California” is untrue.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
BornSlippyZ

If this where the '90s I would say Cali for any Japanese import, but now there are a lot of nice Z's across the country and some great tuning shops back east too!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Nipz

Originally Posted by davidv
The assumption that “All the clean 350Zs are in California” is untrue.
i don't believe i said 'all', or maybe you were quoting someone different. i think i said that i'm finding a lot of clean cars in CA and i'm really thinking about buying one. Either way. That list is kind of interesting, thanks!

You will find a lot of nice Z's here for sale. What are you looking for Op?
Yep, this community is awesome! I've been stalking the site for the past week or so just looking for cars and absorbing any bit of info i can. So i guess i have you guys to thank for such a great place to go for a newbie like me!

As for the second part of that quote, i'm looking for a clean, very well taken care of, HR with ~30,000 miles or preferably less of course. Manual. Any color but redline or solar orange pearl (no offense to anyone that loves these colors. The colors are nice they just attract a lot of attention and thats bad news in my town) Coppers like them bright colors!

A clean title car with regular maintenance, i want to buy a car from an enthusiast, not some ragged out car. I'm sure most of you on here know what i'm looking for.

I'm not settled on a trim of any kind really. I guess i'd love a GT but really only because of the brembos and sick wheels. A touring would be nice but i'll replace the stereo anyway and heated leather isn't needed cuz its HOT here! An Enthusiast just for the cruise control and steering wheel controls, quaife ftw, and TCS would just get turned off So that leaves me with a base, toss in a nice stereo, some window tint, and a quaife and i'm set i bet.

I'm sure the trim level discussion has been had a billion times here already but you asked! Feel free to PM if you have any amazing wisdom on which model to get since it is my first Z.

I'm probably looking to spend 17k/18k, maybe more for an excellent car. I think I can get a good HR in between there somewhere. Depending on the car will depend on what i decide to pay of course. Again, feel free to PM if you have/know of a car like what i'm looking for. Looking for a southernish car. I don't really want a winter driven/salt shaker type vehicle. I'd consider a northern garage queen tho
Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Nipz

Originally Posted by Zing!
1 question why so far?
maybe the car is in texas but was originally a Cali car?
Welp i've looked all over the DFW area on the internet, called many many people, seen in person a bit of cars, and i just haven't found 'the' car for me yet. So i expanded my search a bit, a bit being the entire southern US haha.

There is a local dealer selling an 07 base with ~29k miles for 20k but he wouldn't dip below 19k and the interior was already showing some pretty bad wear. Knowing me i'd probably replace the worn pieces right after buying it. But he won't hit the price i want.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Zing!

yea i'd pass on that one...as soon as you bought it you'd find the "one" haha

what are you going to do fly to cali to look at cars then drive one back?

have you tried craigslist? how i've bought and sold my past 3 vehicles
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM
BornSlippyZ

Ok Op I did a little search on this site and on www.Autotrader.com. Most HR's on this site is a couple grand higher than your budget. You can try and get members to lower there price or you can check Autotrader and enter my Zip code 91739, then put in 50mile from Zip and a good amount of HR Z's come up. Some are in your price range and others about the same as this Forum. Hope this helps and Good luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Nipz

Originally Posted by Zing!
yea i'd pass on that one...as soon as you bought it you'd find the "one" haha

what are you going to do fly to cali to look at cars then drive one back?

have you tried craigslist? how i've bought and sold my past 3 vehicles
Well i've been making a lot of calls to people that are out of state and speaking with them about their cars. Really depends on the seller, his/her attitude, etc. I guess if i found one i wanted i'd send out a deposit and fly out to do one final check on the car. If it turned out ok i'd buy her and bring her back!

I did try craigslist and in my area it seems that most of the Z's on there are just the same ones i find on autotrader.

Ok Op I did a little search on this site and on www.Autotrader.com. Most HR's on this site is a couple grand higher than your budget. You can try and get members to lower there price or you can check Autotrader and enter my Zip code 91739, then put in 50mile from Zip and a good amount of HR Z's come up. Some are in your price range and others about the same as this Forum. Hope this helps and Good luck!
Yeah, i'll definitely check autotrader at your zip, thanks! I really don't mind spending a little more for a well taken care of car.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
davidv

Did you do OK with California emissions?