Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Possibly my last thread as a z owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Ultra-yellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possibly my last thread as a z owner

Hi guys,

I’m really sorry to post another "should I buy this car" thread but I am DESPERATE for honest feedback from people who actually know these cars.

For the last few months I have been toying with the idea of making the move from the Z to the G. I know I should probably be posting this on g35driver but i know you guys are really honest and I think there is probably more G drivers on here anyway. I have been looking every single day, everywhere I can think of and have not found exactly what I want. Until last weekend, it has a few more miles than i wanted but i called Infiniti and they told me the 30K and 40K services were completed with them so im giving it a point for that.

Here is the stats,

-little less than 49K miles
-6MT (clutch feels good)
-fully loaded with every single option (19" rims, spoiler, etc)
-clean carfax
-best of all it has the navigation system i have been desperately looking for

Basically im going out after work to see it one more time in the daylight. It is in excellent condition so that’s worth one more point.

Now for the price. its listed at 22K, its KBB is about 24K. I have been able to talk this guy down to 22K out the door. I was hoping to get it for $21.5 but i guess that may have been a little ambitious. Its at a third party luxury car dealership so obviously its not certified or anything.

My overall plan was to buy the G now in the winter for less and sell my Z in the spring for more money. Its starting to warm up here and i know I am cutting it close, i think if i don’t buy this car I will have to wait until next winter to try again. It sounds so simple, how could it not work!! (any advice or past experiences on this would be much appreciated)

This is a big decision for me and i will continue to search previous threads but i regretted not asking you guys before i bought my Z and I did not want to make the same mistake twice.

Any advice at all about this would be appreciated!!!

Mac
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Z_HighSpeed

If your really looking forward to the G then go for it...but if your gana pay 20k+ for a used G look at a bunch of other ones too...hell even a g37
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Patsfan83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a quick google and I found a few '08 '09 G37S' going for 23-25k

http://www.usedcarsplus.com/usedcars...g37/index.html

It's all up to you though, take it out on a drive, you gotta love the car. None of us have seen it or drove it so we can't really give you a real good opinion but if it feels good man then go for it.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Ultra-yellow

Originally Posted by Novesh
If your really looking forward to the G then go for it...but if your gana pay 20k+ for a used G look at a bunch of other ones too...hell even a g37
Well, believe it or not i have been looking nonstop for about two months and this is the best deal ive come across for a car thats exactly what i want. A G37 would be nice but i think they start closer to 30K around here
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 AM
chrisj2k

I was struggling with the same decision a few years back and the backseat on the G is really nice if you have a GF with a kid or plan to have a kid of your own in the near future. Seems like a lot for a 4+ year old car with almost 50k on it, but they seem to hold their value well despite the release of the G37.

As for the seasonal timing, take advantage of it! I live in Texas where you can drive the car year around so the market value seemed to hold almost steady year-round. I found one online and had a friend check it out for me in Wisconsin in december and ended up paying about $4000 less for my 06z than i would have paid down here. They couldn't sell it up there and it was covered in a foot of snow when he checked it out. Yeah there was $400 in shipping, but the geographical and seasonal 'arbitrage' definitely made a difference.

If economics are more important to you, wait. But if the desire for the G is driving you nuts, pull the trigger if you find a sensible deal.

Good luck and post the outcome!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Ultra-yellow

Originally Posted by ssarow
I just did a quick google and I found a few '08 '09 G37S' going for 23-25k

http://www.usedcarsplus.com/usedcars...g37/index.html

It's all up to you though, take it out on a drive, you gotta love the car. None of us have seen it or drove it so we can't really give you a real good opinion but if it feels good man then go for it.
thanks for the search, those prices are pretty damm good, but to be honest i would rather have a fully loaded G35 than a basic G37. Besides 22K is the tippy top of my budget already and i actually think the the 35 looks a little better than the 37
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Ultra-yellow

Originally Posted by chrisj2k
I was struggling with the same decision a few years back and the backseat on the G is really nice if you have a GF with a kid or plan to have a kid of your own in the near future. Seems like a lot for a 4+ year old car with almost 50k on it, but they seem to hold their value well despite the release of the G37.

As for the seasonal timing, take advantage of it! I live in Texas where you can drive the car year around so the market value seemed to hold almost steady year-round. I found one online and had a friend check it out for me in Wisconsin in december and ended up paying about $4000 less for my 06z than i would have paid down here. They couldn't sell it up there and it was covered in a foot of snow when he checked it out. Yeah there was $400 in shipping, but the geographical and seasonal 'arbitrage' definitely made a difference.

If economics are more important to you, wait. But if the desire for the G is driving you nuts, pull the trigger if you find a sensible deal.

Good luck and post the outcome!

Thanks alot for the honest feedback, thats exactly the kind of stuff i was hoping to hear. I will defidently let you guys know what happens tonight!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Z_HighSpeed

what's an extra $10k or so in finance payments? its not really that much more for a brand new car...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Ultra-yellow

what's an extra $10k or so in finance payments? its not really that much more for a brand new car...
this is actually a cash deal so im on a pretty tight budget. Initially I wanted to keep it below 20K but i really want an 06 with nav and a 6mt so i had to pull another 2k together for this.

You dont care about 10k? You might be a little to rich for my poor blood
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not look at the 07 sport sedan with manual? It has the HR and most likely can be had for around that price. Go to edmunds get the tmv.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:20 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

Expand your search area... A $116 one-way flight and a 4 hour drive back home saved me a couple grand or you could ship it like chrisj2k... Since you already have the Z, the time it takes to ship isn't gonna kill you in rental car fees
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by Ultra-yellow
this is actually a cash deal so im on a pretty tight budget. Initially I wanted to keep it below 20K but i really want an 06 with nav and a 6mt so i had to pull another 2k together for this.

You dont care about 10k? You might be a little to rich for my poor blood
cash deal? damn bro put that down on a new car...seriously your gana be a lot happier with a new car than a used g35 especially since they will decline in value...since there are g37's out...

Just something to think about, 10k monthly payments are less than $150 which is pretty damn good for a new car...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM
candyman7

dont do it! last year my friend picked up a brand new 08 z enthusiast off the lot for $22 grand. im sure you can find something better just have patients
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 AM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

FL: 07 G35 w/46k... $18.9

GA: 06 G35 w/41k... $19.9

GA: 06 G35 w/41k... $17.9

I think your car might be overpriced... These are comparable to the car you are looking at but a quick search turned up 100+ cars within your price range for less money or with fewer miles... Navigation seems hard to come by but nothing a $100 TomTom can't fix but in the end, it's up to you...

At the very least, you could print up these listings and possibly get the dealer down to your $21.5k OTD OR you consider flying to/shipping a car and you can probably get a car for the $20k (or less) you wanted to spend in the first place and you have $2000 for mods
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Ultra-yellow

Thanks to everyone for the great input

I def. have to have a coupe, nothing against the sedan lovers i just want a more comfortable version of my Z.

As for flying out to look at a car, i know im pretty picky when it comes to these kind of things. Little scratches and dents that might not seem like a big enough deal for a seller to mention would be enough to blow a deal for me. I have to see it in person but i work 5 days a week and my weekends are kinda tied up.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would feel like you are overpaying sir. good luck with whatever you decide on
Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Ultra-yellow

Originally Posted by dragonfire6
FL: 07 G35 w/46k... $18.9

GA: 06 G35 w/41k... $19.9

GA: 06 G35 w/41k... $17.9

I think your car might be overpriced... These are comparable to the car you are looking at but a quick search turned up 100+ cars within your price range for less money or with fewer miles... Navigation seems hard to come by but nothing a $100 TomTom can't fix but in the end, it's up to you...

At the very least, you could print up these listings and possibly get the dealer down to your $21.5k OTD OR you consider flying to/shipping a car and you can probably get a car for the $20k (or less) you wanted to spend in the first place and you have $2000 for mods
Thanks for the links!! I actually just discovered cars.com a few days ago, its a great source. This car is on it and by far the best deal in my area. I dont know the exact numbers but i think without the taxes and other fees its gotta be less than 21k right now. I understand what you mean about the navigation. I love "pop-up" nav systems like in my old RX-8. (i know everyone hates on the 8 ) i figure the nav system alone is worth a solid $1200-$1500 extra so i think im just about on target with those cars you found. Im still going to try to get out the the door for $500 less regardless.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cash deal? damn bro put that down on a new car...seriously your gana be a lot happier with a new car than a used g35 especially since they will decline in value...since there are g37's out...

Just something to think about, 10k monthly payments are less than $150 which is pretty damn good for a new car...
He said he likes the 35 more than the 37 and a new car car will depreciate faster than a used car that has already done the majority of its depreciating. Cars do most of there depreciating in the first 3-4 years after that the rate of decline slows greatly.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
He said he likes the 35 more than the 37 and a new car car will depreciate faster than a used car that has already done the majority of its depreciating. Cars do most of there depreciating in the first 3-4 years after that the rate of decline slows greatly.
paying $20k cash for an old car vs. buying a new car, which one is going to be worth more money, especially since one is a newer model of the other?

Quick Reply: Possibly my last thread as a z owner