Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Potential Z Buyer/Bad Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
dillonboyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Z Buyer/Bad Experience.

Well. I just wanted to share my story of how bad dealerships really are, as this was my first time going to one for a car. Anyways, im 19, and ive been saving up for a z for awhile. Ive come from my $650 240sx, to a $2000 e30(POS), and then i broke down and bought a reliable truck, 2003 dodge ram 1500. Well. My dad was in need of a truck, so i just went ahead and let him take over the payments on it, and he gave me money to help on getting my z. I know the whole kid with the z thing is flamed. I know. But ive paid for everything ive had, and it has humbled me to finally break down and buy the car ive wanted since i was a kid. Anyways, i found a z about 4.5 hours away, at Acura of Memphis, an 04 Super Black with 87k, for 11900. So i call, ask about it, am told it is in "perfect" shape. Not a thing wrong. the only thing is it was going to nissan for a "detail". Well they tried to get me to wait on coming in, but i insisted on coming in today. So i came in, spent 50 bucks to just get there in my old truck, see the car, looks great. Im excited. Finally getting the car of my dreams. So i Meet the salesman, blah blah blah, and i turn the car on. First thing i hear is a super loud valve tick. Not just a little loud. but extremely. First thing i say is, wtf is that. He says it needs an oil change. I tell him the hell it does, something is definately wrong. He asks me to test drive the car, and i tell him no way. Nobody should be driving this car. I tell him he needs to park it right away. This was no ordinary valve tick. I mean it sounded like those old cards on bike wheels loud. So pissed off, i ask him why the hell i drove 4.5 hours to the dealership, just to be told the cars ****ed. he then goes on and on about the other cars he has. I mean yeah cool. But i came to buy a z. He trys to get me in a ford ranger, and a old *** honda civic. Finally i tell the dude that hes wasted my time and money. Im pissed. and i mean extremely at this point. Finally, the guy trys to see if he has anything, and i have also been eyeing the 8th gen accords. He happens to have one on the lot. Now its not a coupe, but i do like the sedans. All black. Basic options. I test drive it. Ask him if it is in the price range i talked about. He says it is. So i tell him lets get started then. And he brings back his monthly payment options, and they are 110 more a month than i initially said i wanted! on top of that, they want $22000 for a $17000 car, tops! i point this out, he says it has all these options. which were power seats, and a moonroof. how does that justify 5 grand extra?! He then keeps telling me to do it. I say no way. I have a budget to stick to. He then walks off, and brings me a junk hyundai sonata. Like really dude? i can tell its a piece of **** just by looking at the engine bay. Clay mud everywhere, oil everywhere. i mean come on. Finally i get so pissed off, i tell him to just not worry about hearing from me again. He lied about the z. Thought he could pull a swift one, and really just turned me off on zs all together. I just came to the decision something like an accord will be better for college anyways. But im out $120, because i believed it was in perfect condition. Just a warning to anyone going to drive to pick up a car, make sure you know if theres something wrong before hand. Even though i was lied to and there wasnt much i could do.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Live and learn dude. I hate to say it but it is your fault. You were told not to come in but you were the one that insisted, that should have been a red flag. If you are interested in a car and they do not allow or prevent you from seeing it, walk away.
Similar story, before I bought my Z, I wanted a STI. I lived in 2.5 hours away from the dealership. It was 2 hours before the closing time, butthe salesman said he was willing to stay open for me. It was raining and I drove to the dealer. Upon exiting the freeway entrance, I called to verify directions. To my surprise, the person who answered mentioned the dealer actually was closed. I told him it was a mistake and asked to speak to the salesman who assured me he would wait. They caught him exiting the building and he agreed to speak to me. He apologized and mentioned that he was new, that was his excuse for not knowing the business hours. I was upset and the sales manager agreed to reimburse the cost of my gas, if I returned tomorrow, which I agreed to. The next day, upon about a quarter of the way there, i called to make sure both the salesman and the manager were there. They were, but the STI I wanted had been "picked up", not only "picked up" but the sale was actually processed three days ago! So in conclusion, next time any kind of hassle presents it self, just walk away. You are the consumer and they should tailor to you, not the other way around.

Last edited by hugo350z; 07-30-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Paragraphs are not just for school.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

shop to you find the right one, you did good for not settling for what was close.

good luck with your journey young grassshoppa' (old chinese voice)
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM
kburg711

Originally Posted by davidv
Paragraphs are not just for school.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:52 AM
dillonboyd

Yes, yes i know there are no paragraphs. Lol. I had actually gotten home from work the night before a 1:30 a.m., and ended up just staying up to leave at 5 for the car. And was gone about 13 hours so i just had to post before i went to bed. But. I've done alot of thinking, and i think i will just wait til i find the perfect Z, instead of jumping in an Accord. I loved the accord, but i just need to get what i want right?

Thankfully my brothers in the Air Force stationed in Georgia, and he is looking for me. 350zs are just wayyy too expensive in Arkansas. I was trying to show my passenger one on the way down there, and i didnt see a single one!

edit** before i get flamed as buying something practical for college, my college is payed for on scholarship via the university, as my ACT was good enough. Im getting 9000 back a year on other scholarships, and im holding down a good job. I drive from home to school, everyday, so it will be garaged, and taken care of.

Last edited by dillonboyd; 07-31-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some 350z in Georgia that are 07-08 Touring 6MT low mileage too going for around $22-23k a couple of weeks ago since I checked.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

22-23k for a touring 07-08 is quite a lot. just saying.

i got my 07 grand touring with low miles for 20k a while ago.

anywho, dealerships like that fail hard.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
gvulakh

I don't want to take the devil's side here but the sales guy you were dealing with was selling cars the only way he knows how to do it...........lies, deception, and ignorance. He is too weak to tell the truth...not all salespeople are like this. As a consumer it's your job to sniff out the bull$h!t that he was feeding you on the phone and save yourself the time and money.

So you already made the trip......as soon as you started that Z up and heard it run so terribly you should have left right away. You let him keep you there and you let him lead you......

It's not all your fault. You're an inexperienced buyer that was dragged through all the steps of the average douche bag salesperson. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

By the way, I sell cars for a living.

Good luck finding the right car.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dillonboyd

Thankfully my brothers in the Air Force stationed in Georgia, and he is looking for me. 350zs are just wayyy too expensive in Arkansas. I was trying to show my passenger one on the way down there, and i didnt see a single one!
not sure if serious
Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
dillonboyd

Originally Posted by ImWeeZzel
not sure if serious
Yes i am! where im at anyways. in bfe up near mountain home and harrison. i see you live in arkansas. Where at?

Well im kind of torn between a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe v6 with 20k or driving a little further to pick up a Z. Decisions Decisions...Practicality points to the accord, but i dont think the gas mileage difference is really that big on the v6 vs. the I4. But theres a killer deal on that Accord, and its 45 minutes away.

Last edited by dillonboyd; 08-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Young, strapped for cash, no credit, yeah it's tough buying a car even used. Try to find something closer to you next time? I definitely wouldn't drive 4.5 hours for an used car in a "promised" condition.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
TheCanuck

I'm selling my 07 nismo 30k miles

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
drivessidewayz

I had similar experience with a Celica I purchased. Worst decision ever, but live and learn. And yes...please at least edit your post for other people who may read it >.<
Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dillonboyd
Yes i am! where im at anyways. in bfe up near mountain home and harrison. i see you live in arkansas. Where at?

Well im kind of torn between a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe v6 with 20k or driving a little further to pick up a Z. Decisions Decisions...Practicality points to the accord, but i dont think the gas mileage difference is really that big on the v6 vs. the I4. But theres a killer deal on that Accord, and its 45 minutes away.
I live in Clarksville. I went through Harrison on my drive to Branson, those twisties were fun as hell to drive through!