Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Looking to buy a used 06 350Z with 122k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
OP if you have the option take the 10k and go to a dealership find an 07 to 08 offer them cash and see if they will work a deal for the car or let your finance the rest of it, it would be better than buying your cars off craigslist

btw how old are you?
This is important why? Regardless the Op sounds like he has a pretty good head on his shoulders.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PerfZ
This is important why? Regardless the Op sounds like he has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Well only reason i was asking was just to provide some advice. Even though OP sound like he may have the money and be in the position to buy the car, would it really be a good move? thats why i was asking his age to see where he was in life and see if this could possibly set him back, especially if he isnt out of college yet, doesnt have a full time stable job, or if he lives at home. That money could be put towards other things such as paying off school loans or investments so he can possibly make more money till he is ready.

Last edited by stuartc323; 11-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM
grug1

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Well only reason i was asking was just to provide some advice. Even though OP sound like he may have the money and be in the position to buy the car, would it really be a good move? thats why i was asking his age to see where he was in life and see if this could possibly set him back, especially if he isnt out of college yet, doesnt have a full time stable job, or if he lives at home. That money could be put towards other things such as paying off school loans or investments so he can possibly make more money till he is ready.
^^^^^^ now this is good old fashioned practical advice that you can take all the way to the bank.

Go Captain Obvious!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM
codename_pig

my age? lol I don't feel like sharing that (I hope you understand), but just as a fact my college tuition is well-paid for. I have extra money, I just don't want to use more than 10k because that's as far as I'm going to allocate for myself getting a car for now.

my idea is that I love the Z, but I can't afford a brand new 370z. But if i went for a slightly used one about 15-20k, just a few thousand more and I could just buy a different car, like an frs, but I want the Z. So I'm looking for the best deal around here for a Z that will last me at least 5-7 years or longer until I decide to get a new car.

anyways, back to the car lol
is there a big difference between the 03-05 Z and the 06 Z? As far as I can see, the 06 gets better head/tail lights and an updated engine. any differences in reliability between these 2 generations?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,052 Likes on 6,518 Posts

spend the money and get the HR, dont buy an frs.......
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM
04SilverBulletZ

Save up a little more, and remember you're buying a sports car (in that you'll need extra cash for regular maintenance) If I were in your position I'd wait until you can spend at least 17-20k and buy it clean with low milage..
Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

For the extra money the HR is worth it. The extra power, looks, updates, and newer age is totally worth dropping the extra cash.

I was originally looking at buying a 05-06 track until I drove my 08 and bought it on the spot. Never regretted the decision.

In the end, get what you can afford. Don't buy something that you will kill yourself to make payments on.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by codename_pig
my age? lol I don't feel like sharing that (I hope you understand), but just as a fact my college tuition is well-paid for. I have extra money, I just don't want to use more than 10k because that's as far as I'm going to allocate for myself getting a car for now.

my idea is that I love the Z, but I can't afford a brand new 370z. But if i went for a slightly used one about 15-20k, just a few thousand more and I could just buy a different car, like an frs, but I want the Z. So I'm looking for the best deal around here for a Z that will last me at least 5-7 years or longer until I decide to get a new car.

anyways, back to the car lol
is there a big difference between the 03-05 Z and the 06 Z? As far as I can see, the 06 gets better head/tail lights and an updated engine. any differences in reliability between these 2 generations?
OK OP, there is no differences in reliability when it comes to the Z. THe 2006 has some oil consumption issues, I would honestly try to find anything above an 06, you get newer headlights and tailights and the bigger brakes, better suspension, etc. I would definitely follow the advice and go to a dealership try to find an HR, and try to buy the car outright with the 10k, or get them to drop the price, use the 10k as a down payment and finance the rest. You would get a better car.

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
For the extra money the HR is worth it. The extra power, looks, updates, and newer age is totally worth dropping the extra cash.

I was originally looking at buying a 05-06 track until I drove my 08 and bought it on the spot. Never regretted the decision.

In the end, get what you can afford. Don't buy something that you will kill yourself to make payments on.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
cudaben

I have an 06 with ZERO oil consumption at 101xxx miles. 6 speed, the 06 mt got a boost in HP from the 05. The tail lights are better, and the head lights too. I have always heard about the oil consumption, but have not personally witnessed it.

-----TO ALL WHO DONT LIVE THE SF BAY AREA-----

Our cars here cost on average a few grand more than so cal, nevada, florida, texas, etc... etc.. etc.. I have traveled to many stated to buy cars just b/c the bay is so expensive. one recent example- I was looking for a 04 cobra, around here they are ALL 21,000 and up, I checked so-cal and found s minty fresh cobra for 19k from a dealer!!!! so keep that in mind when you say a car here is priced to high. 10k for a clean z is a good deal here.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
dizenman

I used to have an 06 AT and it was great. until my brother crashed it. Ended up with an rx8 and it was a nightmare. in 2 years i got 5 months of use out of it and spent 10gs on the engine only for it to blow twice because rotaries are the utter most pieces of ****. and I did ALL of the crap you're supposed to do..premix, warm up for 5 minutes etc. anyways, a couple months ago I bought my second Z, an 07, and the HR engine is definitely worth it. It had 88k on it, touring model, had everything but brembos, for 14995. Unless I was paying all cash it was the cheapest 07+ Z in socal at the time. There was one for 13k at california motors direct, but they were charging about 3000 in finance fees, and it was in terrible shape. Anyways, if you're budget is 10k I would say go to an auction. Otherwise shellout a couple extra bucks for an 07. its worth it.

And as for an FRS, my friend bought one brand new and in 180 miles the fuel pump blew. he since gave it back and picked up a wrx. I would definitely get a Z.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Blu Hvn

"anyways, back to the car lol
is there a big difference between the 03-05 Z and the 06 Z? As far as I can see, the 06 gets better head/tail lights and an updated engine. any differences in reliability between these 2 generations?"

Re. the '06 besides the different headlights and taillights (which can be changed to an '03-'05) THE '06 has an updated interior such as cup holders in the door arm rests.

Re. the oil consumption issue, the manual transmission '06 had what is referred to as a"rev up" engine with a higher red line. I've read posts by people with oil consumption issues and many without issues. The '06 is technically an 8 year old car now, and I tend to think that any oil consumption issues would have been addressed by now.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The main differences were those listed.

I personally don't care for the rev up at all. I would either go for a less expensive vq or more expensive hr
Old 02-07-2020, 02:56 AM
Rajtastic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone tried https://www.amayama.com/? They have the part and it's only £60+ (+ import duties).

I've found a few good reviews of them on forums...