Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

How reliable are 350z's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM
donsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable are 350z's?

Hi guys! Im going to the dealer this sunday in hopes of looking/test driving/ and potentially picking up this 08 350z with about 50k miles. My main concern, which is the reason I write this post, is it's reliability. When it comes to cars, i dont know much or rarely anything at all. I purchased a Audi A4 and I am just starting to learn that as the years go by, this car becomes beyond expensive to fix and not only are they expensive to fix, but are really unreliable and can easily break. From what i was told, in regards to a mechanic, labor costs will cost about the same as the Audi, because Z's are apparently hard to work on, but the parts will be cheaper. The issue is I don't want to the car to constantly braking down and being unreliable like the audi. With this audi i can fix something today and something else will brake tomorrow and that's what im trying to avoid if i purchase the Z. So are 350z's generally reliable? I dont mind fixing and paying for repairs if something is needed, but I don't want to buy the car if it could brake every 3 months, just like audi. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

For the most part, they are reliable. But like anything mechanical, something can always go wrong and proper upkeep is necessary.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
donsu

Originally Posted by Syner
For the most part, they are reliable. But like anything mechanical, something can always go wrong and proper upkeep is necessary.
Of course, just like any car, but I don't want to purchase it if it's like the audi. If i buy the car and assuming it has 0 issues at all, should I be scared of potential issues or if they're treated well they wont have problems?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

in the HR's the slave cylinder will go out on you, just a matter of time.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by donsu
Of course, just like any car, but I don't want to purchase it if it's like the audi. If i buy the car and assuming it has 0 issues at all, should I be scared of potential issues or if they're treated well they wont have problems?
If treated well, it will be much better than the Audi. I haven't had any issues with my 2004.

2008's had some issues with the slave cylinder, which may end up being a future cost.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by travlee
I was just about to PM you to help this guy out.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much anything out of japan is more reliable than just about anything out of europe.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 PM
donsu

Originally Posted by travlee
and how much does that cost and when does this usually happen? Excuse the stupid questions but i have no clue? And is this issue with only th 08's?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Syner

and how much does that cost and when does this usually happen? Excuse the stupid questions but i have no clue? And is this issue with only th 08's?
It will happen, "when" varies. 07's and 08's had the issue.

~$350 for the slave cylinder, probably a couple hundred for labor. If you buy an aftermarket slave, it will be good forever (if you buy OEM, you'll be looking at it again).
Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
donsu

It will happen, "when" varies. 07's and 08's had the issue.

~$350 for the slave cylinder, probably a couple hundred for labor. If you buy an aftermarket slave, it will be good forever (if you buy OEM, you'll be looking at it again).
Okay thanks! Again noob question, but this is only for 07-08's with manual transmissions correct?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
travlee
Master

you are supposed to replace them together, the first time i did mine i did oem...... 6 months later when it happened again i got this

http://zspeedperformance.com/ZSpeed-...ZSpHDCombo.htm

labor depends on the shop you take it to, the place i took it was about $800...you have to drop the transmission completely, and if you can afford it while in there i would replace the clutch as well
Old 02-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Syner

Okay thanks! Again noob question, but this is only for 07-08's with manual transmissions correct?
take Trav's word. I forgot the slaves were in the bell.

...and yes, only MT.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM
donsu

take Trav's word. I forgot the slaves were in the bell.

...and yes, only MT.
Ok. Thanks to both you and Trav. I really appreciate the open arms and helping me with these noob questions! Both you have a great day!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM
tommy smith

Default I heard about Audi - this is NO AUDI !!!!!

Hi guys! Im going to the dealer this sunday in hopes of looking/test driving/ and potentially picking up this 08 350z with about 50k miles. My main concern, which is the reason I write this post, is it's reliability. When it comes to cars, i dont know much or rarely anything at all. I purchased a Audi A4 and I am just starting to learn that as the years go by, this car becomes beyond expensive to fix and not only are they expensive to fix, but are really unreliable and can easily break. From what i was told, in regards to a mechanic, labor costs will cost about the same as the Audi, because Z's are apparently hard to work on, but the parts will be cheaper. The issue is I don't want to the car to constantly braking down and being unreliable like the audi. With this audi i can fix something today and something else will brake tomorrow and that's what im trying to avoid if i purchase the Z. So are 350z's generally reliable? I dont mind fixing and paying for repairs if something is needed, but I don't want to buy the car if it could brake every 3 months, just like audi. Thanks for any help in advance!
An 08 350z is the best year to own. Except for the slave cyl. mentioned that might have been already taken care off(check at dealer car's history & recalls fixed/open??). Except for that^^^^^(small deal you CAN'T hurt the car no matter what you do. I TRIED !!!!

Check the top 25 1/4 mile 07/08 drag list on this site and you'll see at the top andre12031948. I drag raced it for 5 years with reving & popping the clutch at the starting line at over 5,000 rpm & power shifting at 7,500 rpm and NEVER had a problem with the car. Now I did have an after market STREET clutch set but if you won't do what I did, you can stay stock and drive the car over 200K miles with only oil changes, some care & only A change of plugs at 100K.

Unless you hit bad luck, that can happen, what I wrote is the truth !!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

They're very reliable.
I've never had one problem in 10+ years of owning my '04.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:53 PM
dudeitsmartin

Same here. No problems yet found on my z besides my harness falling out and getting ripped off.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Problems you will have (I live in FL so I drive year around as a DD):
Window motors ~80k miles (90 bucks each)
Camshaft positioning sensors (you have 4) 80-100k miles (70 bucks each)
Door handles (Both) ~90k miles (75 bucks each)
Hatch struts ~80k (50 bucks)
Some people have problems with the oil pressure gage ~100k miles (no idea on cost)
TPMS sensors ~60k (40 bucks each?)
Tranny will grind 5th eventually, normal wear and tear depending on use. Mine only does it below 40deg and only once each time I get in it. kinda odd.
Battery terminals need to be cleaned yearly. It's closed up so you get hydrogen build up and it corrodes the points easily.
Interior paint on everything will scratch and rub off with a Q-tip Seriously its bad

Its all minor easily fixable stuff. Change the oil and enjoy the car for 200k.

Last edited by NiLL; 02-04-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by NiLL
Problems you will have (I live in FL so I drive year around as a DD):
Window motors ~80k miles (90 bucks each)
Camshaft positioning sensors (you have 4) 80-100k miles (70 bucks each)
Door handles (Both) ~90k miles (75 bucks each)
Hatch struts ~80k (50 bucks)
Some people have problems with the oil pressure gage ~100k miles (no idea on cost)
TPMS sensors ~60k (40 bucks each?)
Tranny will grind 5th eventually, normal wear and tear depending on use. Mine only does it below 40deg and only once each time I get in it. kinda odd.
Battery terminals need to be cleaned yearly. It's closed up so you get hydrogen build up and it corrodes the points easily.
Interior paint on everything will scratch and rub off with a Q-tip Seriously its bad

Its all minor easily fixable stuff. Change the oil and enjoy the car for 200k.
he will have the cd009 transmission, which means he wont have grinding issues.... did you not read he was looking at an HR?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '08 with 11K miles and it's never had any problems. I'm sure it's because of the low mileage, but the car has also been driven fairly hard on the Nurburgring over 20 times.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Had my 05 6speed Perf for about 4 years now. (88k ,but motor was swapped by dealer at 50k for unknown issues by previous owner)

Here is what I replaced due to it being damaged or worn.

Both Cam pos sensors.
Rebuilding my window motor (These can be rebuild for 1/60th the cost of buying new)
Drivers door handle.
F- Lower control arm (inner) Bushings.
Diff bushings.
Transmission Mount (got poly since oem has severe slack)
Amsoil Oilchanges (every time) + good filter
Amsoil Diff oil
Amsoil Trans Oil
Rear Wheel Bearings
Both Valve cover Gaskets
I cut and resealed all my Spark plug gaskets while I was at that too. (Zs cannot have these replaced so when they leak, A) cut out and reseal, B) cut out and use R&D kit, C) Get new (used) Valve covers.

Outside of this, I HIGHLY advice you either purchase a catch can, or "make one" and add it to the passenger side valve cover -> Plenum. This helps burning the oil that VQs are known to throw into the plenum, so the can just catches it and you recycle.

Last edited by Z33Garage; 02-05-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Quick Reply: How reliable are 350z's?