Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

zaino gloss spray?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002 | 09:07 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Default zaino gloss spray?

what am I doing wrong? I did my zaino bit, great stuff, but the spray always seems to leave streaks. since it offers no protection except its "high gloss", and it leaves me with cloudy residue. I am done with it untill someone can tell me Im doing something wrong.

the car looks spectacular after waxing, then I spray this stuff on and get cloudiness. any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2002 | 07:26 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

I assume you mean the Z-6? Don't spray it directly on the car, just on the applicator, then wipe it on THINLY. Then DO NOT allow it to dry! You have to wipe it off immediately. If it dries at all you should apply more on top and wipe THAT off immediately.

If you have already done all that, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe Sean or Brad can help.
Old 11-02-2002 | 07:32 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

hmmm, but its like I wipe it on thinly, and about 5 inches behind the pad, you can see it evaporate away... and its dry and left streaky.
Old 11-02-2002 | 08:00 AM
ezee

Originally posted by ares
hmmm, but its like I wipe it on thinly, and about 5 inches behind the pad, you can see it evaporate away... and its dry and left streaky.
You might be using too much Z6, it only takes a little bit do do the whole car, try using less, and don't let it dry, buff off right away.

I spray right on the car, not on an applicator (this is what Zaino recommends), and I use a microfibre towel to buff (no lint).

When I finish the car with a coat of Z6 after several coats of Z2, my Z shines like a diamond. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2002 | 08:03 AM
LowFuel

Set the nozzle to give the finest, least amount of spray you can. Then spray just one puff on a section of car and immediately wipe it off with a cotton towel. You will notice the towel resists a bit at first, and as you wipe it gets smoother and smoother until it finally just glides over the car - thats when you stop and go to another section. Also fold the towel constantly so you're always using a relatively dry bit. Switch towels if it starts to feel a bit damp.

I use it all the time and have never had any cloudiness. In fact the Z6 spray is by far my favorite and most used Zaino product.
Old 11-02-2002 | 08:43 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

well, Im gonna wait a week before waxing again(I thought I read that was best somewhere. eh whatever.

and Ill give the spray another shot then and do as you reccomended. hopefully it will work better this time.
Old 11-02-2002 | 09:54 AM
LowFuel

btw you keep saying "Waxing" but I assume you're talking about using Zaino polish, right?
You definitely dont want to put Z6 on top of a wax or really anyhing other than Zaino, otherwise it will definitely cloud up.
Old 11-02-2002 | 11:07 AM
Brad4rdHay

Default Low Down on Quick Detailers

(BTW, Zaino isnt a polish, its a polymer sealant, but most people just say im waxing with zaino...cause its closer to a wax than a polish.)

Use the spray sparingly on a perfectly clean finish, I.E. after washing or inbetween coats of sealant. But, you want to use enough when the car is dusty, making sure that you have enough lubrication to wipe off the dust saftly. THIS is why I recomend you buy a cheaper quick detailer such as Meguiars Final Inpsection (tan bottle, not red), as you can use it liberaly without spending lots.

Always apply to a cool finish, wipe with a clean towel, then buff with the other side, repeat this, working panel by panel (don't work in big sections).
Old 11-02-2002 | 01:40 PM
Kevin Overall

You do not use the Zaino applicator pad (cotton cover foam pad) to apply nor remove the Z-6, that is the problem.

With Z-6, less is more. You should be able to detail the entire car 32 times with one bottle of Z-6.

You can either mist a 2 foot square area of the paint or mist the towel and then wipe on the paint.

You will notice at firs the paint will have a thin wet layer of Z-6, since Z-6 is heat activated, with multiple passes of the cotton towel and a couple flips of the towel the Z-6 will quickly evaporate and one more pass will leave a completely clean and reflective paint surface.

Most of my customers who are new Zaino users try to douse the paint with way too much Z-6 right off the bat.

I just dribble a few drops of Z-6 on a small spot and then spread it out evenly.

You can only effectively Z-6 about a 2 foot section at any give time.
Old 11-02-2002 | 05:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

Kevin: Are you saying you don't "wipe it in" after you spray it on i.e. just spray on and wipe it off? I have been using the applicator all along. In fact, whenever I buy the Z-6, they always send me another applicator with it. I have always followed a protocol passed down by the ancient Zaino gurus and it has always looked really good. I'll have to try it that way now!
Old 11-02-2002 | 05:45 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Kevin: Are you saying you don't "wipe it in" after you spray it on i.e. just spray on and wipe it off? I have been using the applicator all along. In fact, whenever I buy the Z-6, they always send me another applicator with it. I have always followed a protocol passed down by the ancient Zaino gurus and it has always looked really good. I'll have to try it that way now!

Sal Zaino and most all Zaino distributors like myself include a free #314 4x5 Zaino Bros' Custom Polish Applicator (100% virgin cotton) with each order over 25.00 but this applicator is only to be used with Z-1, Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. Z-6 would not work very well at all if you try to spread it around with the tiny Zaino pad.

Just spray on and wipe off, you never wipe it in that much.

I have been a rep for the company since about 1998 or so and this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone trying to use the Z-6 using the polish applicator pad.
Old 11-02-2002 | 05:56 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

SO, what are you saying???? Are you saying I'm WEIRD or something??? HUH??? Am I like FUNNY? Do I make you laugh??? HUH?

Sorry, got a little carried away. Hold on, let me take my medication.....................glug glug glug..... aaaaaaahhhhh

There, that's better..............

Now where were we......
Attached Thumbnails zaino gloss spray?-zaino-back-2.jpg  

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 11-02-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2002 | 06:03 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
SO, what are you saying???? Are you saying I'm WEIRD or something??? HUH??? Am I like FUNNY? Do I make you laugh??? HUH?

Sorry, got a little carried away. Hold on, let me take my medication.....................glug glug glug..... aaaaaaahhhhh

There, that's better..............

Now where were we......

Well at least you will have a fresh blue berry smelling breath after drinking your Z-7
Old 11-04-2002 | 08:40 AM
Gadgetman

Default 20 yrs of Zaino

That's about how long I've been using it. Yes when they initially had ONLY ONE product, it was "Show Car Polish".

Anyway, I have not had problems using a cotton applicator when applying the Z-6 directly followed by cotton towel wiping... particularly when doing spot cleaning etc. However, most times when doing large area or overall car, I'll just spray an area lightly and then rub & wipe with dry cotton towel.
Old 11-05-2002 | 01:20 PM
zPilott

Well, I dont know if they are actually considered a "polish," but all the Zaino bottles (Z2, Z3 and Z5) call the product a polish.
Old 11-05-2002 | 02:26 PM
Kevin V

Think of Zaino as a "synthetic polymer", since it doesn't actually contain wax or abrasives.
Old 12-12-2002 | 01:47 PM
gfunk808

Someone indicated that u could use a quick detailer spray on a dusty car...

is it okay to use detailing spray on a car that has not been freshly washed?

or is it mainly for a pretty clean car that has some smudges or fingerprints, etc.?
Old 12-12-2002 | 02:22 PM
VaGentleman

Lot's of posts here...mmm..from Zal.."if you use a little and it streaks..that's too much!"

Use just a hint of Z6...I do..and what results!!

VG

ps...waiting for my new wheels/tires *stolen*..I still stop by the dealer to Zaino

Last edited by VaGentleman; 12-12-2002 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2002 | 09:29 PM
NismoEagleRock

kevin,
so, after reading one of the above replies, is it not a safe practice to use z6 on a finish that was not washed prior to application? here is my detail procedure when i do not have time to wash the car (and when the car is not excessively dirty): i use a california car duster (which works very well, might i add) to first brush off the dust or debris on the car, and i then detail the car with light sprays of the z6. this process works pretty well, although i tried it a couple of times. but, is this not a good practice? please let me know oh wise zaino one.. haha..
thanks
Old 12-13-2002 | 03:50 AM
Kevin V

If a car is "dirty" you don't want to be sliding dirt all over the finish, giving swirl marks and possibly scratches, regardless of what product you use.

If the car is mearly dusty, use the california duster and some Z-6 and it looks like you just polished it. I do it all the time.