Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

3M Clear Bra Installer in San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:54 AM
nwind21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Clear Bra Installer in San Diego?

I did a search and didn't come up with any good leads.

I called Diamond Auto Tint off Miramar in SD since they did my tint job on my other car. The guy was a ***** and I didn't like his tone so I'm looking for other reputable installers in the SD area, preferably close to the golden triangle area. Also Diamond said they've installed many 350z's tint jobs but not a clear bra job. Odd... I would think that many would go for clear bra protection first before tint since a bra is a better investment. Tinting can always be done later, but rock chips are there to stay IMHO.

Anyone got any leads for an installer?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:39 PM
BillyV

nwind,
Look up www.xpel.com
Give it your zip where asked and it'll give you a few names down your way.
If that doesn't work for you try looking up Krinkov on this site. Send him an e-mail and he'll help if he can...
Old 11-07-2002, 08:05 PM
ganz

I called the SD guy that was listed on the xpel site. He quoted me 850 for the complete kit installed. I got a quote from a guy in Torrance that Krinkov recommended for 595 installed. I informed the SD of the quote I got, he told me that he couldn't beat it. Needless to say, I'm going to Torrance.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:55 PM
nwind21

Thanks for the info guys.

Ganz, are you driving your Z up to Torrance for the install?

I finally got a quote from Diamond Auto Tint and they quote something like 495 for hood, mirror, fender... and another 500 for the bumper. So they're asking for a 1g for the install. Ouch.

Supposedly according to Diamond Auto Tint, the kit is rated 4/5 as in 5 being the hardest to do so I guess that why they priced it so high...

I talked to West Coast Tint in Costa Mesa and they offered to do a Clear Guard install (hood, mirror, bumper ) for 250 bucks w/ 50 bucks down to order the kit. It would be their first install for the bra and they said if I didn't like it, I can remove the kit and get my money back. Sounds too good to be true? Or should I give them a shot? I mean 250 is damn cheap and it's in the SD area.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:15 AM
BillyV

I agree with Ganz. It's off to Torrance to see Edre at Envisage
Design labs. A few other folks on this site have had their clear bras installed there and are very happy with the results. Since he's done a few Z's already I'll happily make the extra drive. Not keen on the idea that someone wants to make my Z their test subject.
BTW: I'm just going with bumper and side mirriors for $338.10(that's out the door).
I ordered the Headlight protection kit from www.properautocare.com @ $44.95. I ordered it Monday and it showed up yesterday. The headlights are any easy install so I'm going to do them myself...
Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
ganz

Originally posted by nwind21
Thanks for the info guys.

Ganz, are you driving your Z up to Torrance for the install?

nwind,

I'd rather have a long drive to torrance while putting in some break-in miles than pay 250 bucks more to go next door. I'm going to EDL on the 23rd. of November.

Also, I've noticed that debris usually occurs when the highway is busy. I try to stay away from traffic so I think the car will be ok if I make the trip to LA at night and the trip to Torrance early morning.

Somebody want to give me a cost/benefit analysis? 600 to go to Torrance or 850 to go next door?
Old 11-08-2002, 10:33 AM
nwind21

Hm okay.

Ganz, did you get a quote on how long it would take for Envisage to put the bra on? I'm trying to figure out the down time on the car and plan appropriately. I hate driving anywhere in LA cause traffic is just horrible, but I guess I'll have to see what 250 bucks is worth to me.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:09 PM
ganz

Edre said 3.5 hours for the complete kit.

ganz
Old 11-08-2002, 02:31 PM
BillyV

Cost/benifit analyses often involve intangibles that should be accounted for; namely, It's your new Z, Do you really want someone learning on your new car?? Money aside, a quality install would mean so much more to me than a few dollars or a day spent driving to Torrance. I've only had my Z since Weds eve and I won't drive it in the rain so I'm staring at it sitting in the garage. I just looks like its' itching to get on the road. My point being, any ride in the Z is good thing.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:55 PM
nwind21

Thanks for the info, Ganz.

Yeah my car is sitting at home today too cause of the rain and it's a friday. It's a bit too early in her life to put my Z in the position of getting into an accident (my fault or someone's elses).

Hope the weather clears up later this weekend so I can go for a mountain drive.

Good luck on the everyone's bra installs. I'm thinking I might go with Edre too, but gotta work out the finances again before I make an appointment.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:36 AM
kpoon

Is abit off topics but since you guys are all from SD... wanna get some info about tints:

(1) any good tint shop in SD?
(2) how many % tint you use?
(3) how much you paying?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2002, 11:49 AM
nwind21

Originally posted by kpoon
Is abit off topics but since you guys are all from SD... wanna get some info about tints:

(1) any good tint shop in SD?
(2) how many % tint you use?
(3) how much you paying?

Thanks in advance
I've used Diamond Auto for my past tint job. They charge per window. So for the Z it's around 160-180 for 5 windows I think using Lumar Titanium film. They've done tint jobs on Z's before and I liked the job they did on my Accord which was 7 windows which costed me 230.

Diamond uses a 1-5 scale, 5 being limo tint. 1 being like 10% transmission. I use 2 on the sides, 3 on the rear for my Accord. It's absolutely perfect. Looking out from the car, it's not too dark and from the the outside, the tint looks just dark enough.

I would recommend them for the tint job. The clear bra though is a tad expensive.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:35 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edre is a great installer and will definitly do a great job for you guys if you dont mind the drive. Billy, xpel just updated thier site and added a new step by step DIY headlights section with tons of pics, USE IT! The Z looks easy buts its a bit difficult to get to lay down, make sure you have a heat gun or hair dryer handy, have fun!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:56 PM
BillyV

Jeremy,
Thanks. Edre will be doing my bumper, which after two drives already has a rock chip/scratch. I am extremely disappointed and hope to get it squared away adequately before I take it to Edre.
I did purchase the headlight kit and it does look fairly striaght forward providing the directions are followed. And yes I even bought an new hair dryer to help get the edges to lay down properly... Wish me luck!!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:10 AM
BillyV

Ganz, Is that you set for 9:00 am on the 23rd with Edre??
I'll be there at noon for my install. Are you going with the full kit??? I'm still undecided on whether to go with the fender/hood kit as well. Your thoughts...
Old 11-13-2002, 07:28 AM
ganz

Originally posted by BillyV
Ganz, Is that you set for 9:00 am on the 23rd with Edre??
I'll be there at noon for my install. Are you going with the full kit??? I'm still undecided on whether to go with the fender/hood kit as well. Your thoughts...
Billy,

I am going with the full kit as it seems like the best deal and I'd rather just get maximum protection for my money. Then again, I am no 3M guru so I'm not sure what parts of the car don't need protection. I'd assume the front bumper/hood is a must since it will take the brunt of the abuse during the Zs lifetime. Do you know how much it would be to install the pieces separately?

ganz
Old 11-13-2002, 08:21 AM
BillyV

Ganz,
Edre quoted me $338.10 for the two side mirrors and the front bumper. I asked him to break down the fender/hood kit via an e-mail this am and haven't heard back yet.
On a side note and I just need to vent. The third time behind the wheel, last Thursday, I was struck by a nice size rock or something on the front bumper about two inches below the right front headlight. After four opinions the consensus was that the only way to do it right was to pull the bumper, sand , prime and paint the damaged area and then re clear-coat the entire front bumper. $500 Bones... Un f...kin real! I just left it at the shop and I should have it back tomorrow night. I've been driving for 23 years and have NEVER had a rock chip. Second day of having my Z and I get nailed. I am one very unhappy camper. I guess it goes bcak into the garage until the 23rd. Of course I'll be paranoid as hell driving to Torrance.
Sorry about the vent.... But I'm
Old 11-13-2002, 08:35 AM
ganz

Well, $338 is a good price. I didn't know side mirrors needed protection. I'm sorry to hear about the rock chips. I obsessively check the bumper after every drive praying for a clean drive. The 23rd seems so far away But, I try to do the following (not sure if it works) when I drive:

1) 3 second following distance (esp at high speeds).
2) at least 1 lane apart from any big rigs
3) I try to stay out of other car's blind spots (where their wheel wells are).
4) Drive on good roads when traffic is low. This is pretty pathetic, but I actually go to work EARLY to avoid traffic.

But 500 smackers to fix rock chips... damn... I will never question the need for 3M again.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Aloharacing

I'm headed up there to see him this saturday @ noon.

It should only take like 2 hours to get there, but i'm gonna leave early. Wouldn't it be ironic to get dinged on the ride up there? (knock on wood)

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm getting full coverage.

I'm driving the beater this week to avoid any unnecessary risk.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:53 PM
BillyV

Ganz,
I'm on the toll roads in Orange County quite a bit. Though not as much with the Z as it's not my daily driver. Lots of bugs however on the toll roads and they seem to slam into side mirrors as opposed to the bumper or hood. So for a few extra bucks I'll prtoect them from the bug crap...
Aloha, PLEASE don't joke about the chips... No bad karma needed before the drive from SD to Torrance. Please let us know the results...

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra Installer in San Diego?