Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Once and for all: REMOVING SWIRLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
JThrilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once and for all: REMOVING SWIRLS

I have some minor swirls in my 1 week old Z...do you think this will work?

Wash with Dawn
Clay Bar
Wash with Dawn
Meguiars ColorX (repeat x2 if necessary)
Meguiars

Do I need a polish (Liquid Glass?) somewhere in the process?

Anybody have experience with ColorX? How about with Meguiars ScratchX?

Last edited by JThrilla; 04-01-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

3M Swirl Mark Remover
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 AM
JThrilla

where can I pick that up?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 AM
St@inless

Depending on your cars color (if it is black) Meguiars swirl remover 2 is a good, non-harsh product, that can be finished off with Meguiars deep crystal polish and then sealed with Meguiars carnuba wax. these can be bought at any local autoparts store in the car wash section. From my understanding, the best way to 'buff out' the swirls (using the products above) is with a dual action electric polisher such as the porter cable 7424. Do an internet search on it and swirl removal = you will learn alot = mine is on order!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Kevin Overall

" have some minor swirls in my 1 week old Z...do you think this will work?
Wash with Dawn
Clay Bar
Wash with Dawn
Meguiars ColorX (repeat x2 if necessary)
Meguiars
Do I need a polish (Liquid Glass?) somewhere in the process?
Anybody have experience with ColorX? How about with Meguiars ScratchX?"

Are you doing this by hand or with an orbital buffer. I would stay away from the X products, I have had much better luck with 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 (Pep boys or NAPA, napa can order it by part number if they do not stock it) and some people have had really good luck with Menzerna polishes.

I would wash with car wash (no reason to use Dawn), clay bar (I clay bar DURING by washes to cut out one step) , wash again with car wash, dry the car, use my swirl remover polish, possibly use a glaze step like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and then my final finish product to shine, protect, and seal the paint.

However, are you sure your car has buffer swirls, I am always hesitant to use abrasives on such a new car. If you are referring to the circular marks seen in the paint in the sun's direct reflection, if the car is dark colored, those will never go away entirely, that is just common spider web marks.

Personally, I would not jump out and use any abrasives (like the X stuff and 3M) right now without seeing if I could get the car to look the way I want using a filling product like Zaino Z-5 or other kinds of polishes and waxes that are good about hiding slight defects.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:32 PM
tonysZ

dawn is like the worst thing to use on ur paint! Ifyour trying to screw up ur clear coat though go for it.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dawn is not bad for your paint if used infrequently. It's great for stripping off wax, grease, etc. Nobody recommends it for regular use, that's what a good car shampoo is for.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:43 AM
FCallender

I have a Brickyard and live in a very abrasive dusty climate. I use a base coat of 3M Imperial glaze, which is a very soft wax. Top it off with your favorite regular wax and it will look good under flourescent lights. Right now I'm using NXT because I like the way it goes on quick. I also use Zymol which is harder and longer lasting but doesn't give much better results for the extra time involved.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:07 AM
hksjza70

Kevin has the correct idea, but I would definietly recommend using the 3M products with an orbital buffer and a set of foam pads. 3M Finesse It Swirl Mark Remover (for dark cars) with a med. cut pad, 3M machine polish with a fine cut pad, 3M imperial hand glaze or Meg. show car glaze with a polishing pad, and of course finish it off with a sealer like Meg. Medallion premium paint protection or yellow wax with a polishing pad. Of course all this would follow a good wash, clay, and maybe even a cleaner (Meg. Medallion paint cleaner).

It's pretty hard to knock down the edges of those scratches in the clear by hand.

Short of a full color sand, this process will provide a pretty damn swirl free finish.

Happy Buffing!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the 3M. I would not use the 3M hand glaze but use the machine glaze. The hand glaze will wash away the first time you wash your car.