Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is the best non-abrasive polish for SB swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 AM
St@inless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best non-abrasive polish for SB swirls?

I have a 05 SB Z with the common dealer swirls = the polish that I have tried (meguiars crystal polish and meguiars swirl remover) both seem lightly abrasive and leave thousands of micro scratches! I use these with a porter cable 7424 on speed 3 (tried with both = lake country polishing pad as well as a finishing pad with the same results)! Is there a way to polish to perfection, or close to it, and what product or products would be best suited for the job? -thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:15 PM
muscleknight

Default Swirls

I think a lot of people are so obsessed with getting out every swirl that they over polish. Everytime you polish you remove a little of the clearcoat. The more abrasive the polish the more clearcoat you are going to remove. Over time that could lead to clearcoat failure. I polish and wax my car using a PC and its shinny and I'm satisfied. I use the least abrasive polish followed by wax. I still have some swirls but I have to bend to look at the car to see them etc. and they aren't obvious. If I have to bend to see the swirls I'm not worried about them. I say if your car shines then I wouldn't worry about getting out every swirl. The guys at Autotopia don't get all of the swirls out.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
JamRWS6

You need to step up to a finer grade polish......I would recommend Menzerna Polishes. That would include the Intensive Polish followed by the Final Polish II with a corresponding pad for each.

Most of the guys on Autopia with a little experience are able to eliminate virtually all swirl marks.
There is a difference between swirl marks and super fine scratches. The swirl marks can be eliminated but the extremely small scratches are a fact of life from toweling...even with the best towels available.

There is a lot of good reading on Autopia about this.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
St@inless

Thanks for the info above = I have read that menzerna is a good product = I will try it = but to minimize the fine scratches = would you recommend using a finishing pad to polish for both intensive and final polish 2? I seem to create the scratches while polishing rather than wiping with a clean, semi mist wet, microfiber towel! I always wet each pad for use with meguiars deatil spray before use with polish / wax = and use a different pad for each phase!