Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino vs. Meguiar's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 PM
SekZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. The best stuff out there. I think Zaino is BS, imo... expensive, and the application takes forever...Put Z2 then Z3 then Z4 then Z5 then Z3 again, then Z4 again then Z5...then Z2 a coupla times... lol i dont really remember how it goes, but seriously tho....if u put like 10 layers of Turtle Wax, thinking that one layer is Z2, second Z3, then Z4...etc... it will shine just as well, or better.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by barthelb
Try NXT it comes off so easy and does not leave that streaky hazy residue. I was told the secret is just using a lil bit. A rain drop size at a time on the pad.
NXT only lasts a few weeks compared to months for Zaino. I should know I have used both.

And BTW, Zaino is not a wax!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SekZee
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. The best stuff out there. I think Zaino is BS, imo... expensive, and the application takes forever...Put Z2 then Z3 then Z4 then Z5 then Z3 again, then Z4 again then Z5...then Z2 a coupla times... lol i dont really remember how it goes, but seriously tho....if u put like 10 layers of Turtle Wax, thinking that one layer is Z2, second Z3, then Z4...etc... it will shine just as well, or better.
Eveyone has their own opinion. I tried NXT, it worked for 2 weeks then I had to reapply. Once it gets rained on it seems to wear quicker. Not the case with Zaino.

I say as long as you are using something then you are at least doing something positive!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think all waxes are able to layer... might be wrong though
Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 AM
jmcmorante

Well guys I have 18 coats of Zaino and decided to try Meguiara NXT wax to help balance out for the rise in fuel costs. The NXT was nice but does not leave a mirror finish ont he car, it really looks like its a clean new car but not a specially treated car liek Zaino does. Dotn flame me for this this is just my impression. I will continue to use the NXT until I get my new paint job and then I go back to Zaino. I need to time to save my pennies for Zaino too. LOL LOL
Old 09-29-2005, 11:16 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try gold class... definitely more "mirror finish" than nxt for some reason.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I have tried Gold Class and NXT. Both work well, but do not last as long as Zaino.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 AM
dcmidnight

I really dont get this misconception that Zaino requires oodles of time more than all the other waxes out there or that it is somehow some confusing "system" that needs to be "learned". This is a MYTH! I believe this would not be the conception of Zaino if it were sold at Autozone right alongside everything else. You would buy your polish and spray and be happy. Maybe its the naming conventions of the products too, I dont know. FWIW, mine is an outdoor, uncovered, daily driver SB. I spend no more time than any of my friends do on their cars and they have chosen a variety of products accross the spectrum.

Once a month or so, I do the full wash/polish. Wash, dry, Z5 polish and Z6 finish - I also use Griots Speed Shine on the wheels and the Zaino tire wipe. Start to finish takes me 90 minutes. Thats it. Once a month. How is this any different than using another brand of wax and spray finisher?

Then I spend no more than 10-15 minutes maybe once or twice a week with a cali duster and Z6 wipedown. This weekly maintenence drastically cuts down on the required time to do a fullscale assault.

I get more comments on my car than I ever thought. I have people stopping me in my neighborhood asking what I use and how much I would charge them to do there car, so yes I would swear by Zaino. The thing is, you can spend as much or as little time as you want cleaning your car, no matter what products you use. And the cost equals out in the end. Half the people I know that have tried Zaino and though it was too expensive were using WAY too much product. I can do 2 coats with barely an ounce of product. So I could buy a cheaper product sure, but I would be using more of it and I believe I would be using it far more often than Zaino.

Anyway, to each his own. I believe that all the top level products probably work equally as well in their own way, so I dont think there is a right answer to this question.

Last edited by dcmidnight; 09-30-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by mdracer76
I think that your gonna find people that will take to both sides...

I personally think that Zaino is too reflective for its own good .. and robs the paints natural depth. That and its price is too much to spend on wax .. unless you have money coming out of your ears.

Thats just me... I prefer Meguiars NXT because its not expensive... gives a great gloss with-out distracting from the depth of the paint.

p.s. I'd Still use Meguiar's even if they wern't one of my sponsors
+1
Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Kevin V

Originally Posted by SekZee
Obviously you've never used Zaino, so you actually don't know anything about it. As far as expense, per application Zaino is very economical since it uses so little and especially considering how durable it is. The additional coats are optional, not required. My son, including washing and drying his car, can apply 3 coats of Zaino in about 90 minutes, so much for the "takes forever". Zaino is also the easiest to maintain and provides the best protection and durability.

Prep work is NOT a Zaino thing. It is for every car with any product IF you want the best results. Prep makes all the difference.

After 35 years (yes I'm old) and dozens of products, if I could find a product better than Zaino, I'd use it. Zaino is the only product that ever provided everything I want from a product.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Vash350Z

Menzerna is superior to both.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
wayneside

i use meguiars nxt wax and i think it does an excellent job...i have used other waxes before and went with the meguiars gold class for a long time until i got a bottle of nxt...haven't used anything else since...
Old 10-17-2005, 03:48 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin V
Obviously you've never used Zaino, so you actually don't know anything about it. As far as expense, per application Zaino is very economical since it uses so little and especially considering how durable it is. The additional coats are optional, not required. My son, including washing and drying his car, can apply 3 coats of Zaino in about 90 minutes, so much for the "takes forever". Zaino is also the easiest to maintain and provides the best protection and durability.

Prep work is NOT a Zaino thing. It is for every car with any product IF you want the best results. Prep makes all the difference.

After 35 years (yes I'm old) and dozens of products, if I could find a product better than Zaino, I'd use it. Zaino is the only product that ever provided everything I want from a product.
+1,000,000,000
Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Art Vandaleigh

I'll post up on this because when i got my car i originally used NXT wax, then converted to Zaino after a friend let me try some. In short, the Zaino is far superior to NXT.

For instance, while both are easy to apply, have similar drying times and easy to buff out.. the NXT wax leaves white residue into all the little cracks and crevices of the bodywork/trim which makes removing all wax cleanly a *****. Zaino does not leave any of this residue and is generally much clearer when dried. As far as protection and longevity, Zaino is in another league over NXT. I applied 2 coats of NXT wax last march, and it lasted all of about 5-6 weeks before fading. In may i applied 2 coats of Z2 to the car and it gave great protection all summer long and into just a week ago when i rewaxed my car again. I have to leave my car outside all the time, which sees all the elements, so protection is key for me. The shine and water beading held up over 5 months... I cant imagine you psycho guys with 30+ coats

Needless to say, I'm sold on Zaino and i think everyone should give it a try if you really care about your car's paint protection, especially those who dont have a garage.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Aurora40

Originally Posted by zpak
I was having a debate with my brother.

He has a black E46 M3 and swears by Zaino as the "best" wax.

My other friend has a dark blue 996 Turbo and swears by Meguiar's Gold Class wax.

I'm not sure which is better, but I've used the Meguiar's Gold Class on my SuperBlack 35AE, and it seems to work fine, but I was wondering if there were any significant differences between the two (i.e. which is better/safer for the clear coat, longetivity of water-beading).
I think you will find that no product out there is just perfect for everyone. EVERY wax product is a compromise of some sort. There are many different things people will look for in a wax, it may be gloss, shine, durability, cost, ease of use, ease of availability, smell, etc. Perhaps one person is willing to trade some durability for being able to buy it locally. Perhaps another is not. Perhaps for one person ease-of-use is the predominant factor, for another maybe appearance is.

In my experience, most all of the products I've ever tried have worked. They improve the look of clean paint, they provide protection to some degree, and they are safe for use on clearcoats. From there, it's a matter of finding which one works best for the criteria you care about. Some things are subjective too. One product may last a long time for one person, and not long at all for another. It may be differences in expectations, or it may be differences in their paint, in their environment, or in the prep they do prior to use.

You will not find the "best" for you by looking at pictures online or by using what somewhat else feels is best. Though, not everyone cares about "best" but rather "good enough", which is fine too.

I would suggest this. You use something currently. Sounds like that something is Gold Class. Use it and see what you like or don't like about it. Try to figure out what it is you want out of a product. Then, if you aren't getting what you want from it, look around and see if there is another product that is reasonably likely (sure this is a guess based on others opinions, marketing hype, gut feelings, etc) to maintain the things you like about your current product, and reasonably likely to improve upon the things you don't like or wish were better. Then go from there.

But in your example of two people who love two different products, I'd suggest they are both right. They are using the best product for them.

As an aside, since you mention "Meguiar's vs Zaino" but talk about Gold Class, I just wanted to point out Meguiar's makes numerous wax and sealant products, from their low-cost, easy to use, easy to find Cleaner/Wax, to products like #21 Synthetic Sealant, to their detail shop oriented Express Liquid Wax, not to mention specialty products like their fresh-paint/paint-shop-safe #80 Speed Glaze. They have different compromises that they meet with them.

Last edited by Aurora40; 10-23-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:22 AM
benitoz

Ill let you fellas in on my little secret...... Its a product called turtle wax it can be found in any fine grocery store or even gas stations. dont tell everybody cuase then our cars wont have an edge. I find them onsale for 99 cents a can!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:41 AM
SungNamZ

"Autoglym" should be given some serious consideration. After 50+ coats of Zaino and making the switch to Autoglym, I will NEVER go back. Goes on easy. Comes off easy. and LASTS! products can be seen at: www.autoglm.com
Old 10-27-2005, 03:51 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
I'll post up on this because when i got my car i originally used NXT wax, then converted to Zaino after a friend let me try some. In short, the Zaino is far superior to NXT.

For instance, while both are easy to apply, have similar drying times and easy to buff out.. the NXT wax leaves white residue into all the little cracks and crevices of the bodywork/trim which makes removing all wax cleanly a *****. Zaino does not leave any of this residue and is generally much clearer when dried. As far as protection and longevity, Zaino is in another league over NXT. I applied 2 coats of NXT wax last march, and it lasted all of about 5-6 weeks before fading. In may i applied 2 coats of Z2 to the car and it gave great protection all summer long and into just a week ago when i rewaxed my car again. I have to leave my car outside all the time, which sees all the elements, so protection is key for me. The shine and water beading held up over 5 months... I cant imagine you psycho guys with 30+ coats

Needless to say, I'm sold on Zaino and i think everyone should give it a try if you really care about your car's paint protection, especially those who dont have a garage.
+1 Especially if you don't have a garage...
Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
MSOsr

Every top LS product (last step product) will make your paint shine. The question is, "How do you make the paint surface perfect before you apply the "wax" or "Zaino Z-2"?

Products that "fill in" swirls (usually with oils) wash away, thereby revealing the swirls once again. If you remove the swirls with proper paint preparation, you can use wax or sealants to protect your "perfect" finish.

I think studies have shown that Zaino protects the perfect finish longer and better than carnaubas. Furthermore, layering Zaino deepens the shine. If you want a slightly darker shine, use a carnauba over the last layer of Z-2.

For best results, register at autopia.org and do a search.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by mdracer76
That and its price is too much to spend on wax .. unless you have money coming out of your ears.
whoa whoa wait a minute.....zaino is too expensive?

last i checked, gold class= $19.xx for a container....
Zaino wax for clear coats= $8.xx for a container....

How is that too much? Or are you generalizing because the Zaino kit is like $80 but comes with a boatload of supplies?

I put in an order for $25 or so for Zaino every year, I get the wax, the polish lok, and an applicator pad, including shipping. And every wax I do lasts a good 2 months, in the harsh FL sun.

Quick Reply: Zaino vs. Meguiar's?