Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Super Black Or Magnetic Black Z Owners Only!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005 | 07:41 PM
RayRey21

Default Super Black Or Magnetic Black Z Owners Only!!!!

OK....need to know what you use to wash your Z with....(what type of wash mit, touchless etc....) also would like to know what you use to dry it with (shamy, towels and such)....I am going to buy a black Z....I have a garage and will be buying a car cover...however..I HATE SWIRL MARKS!!! i'm sure that it is inevitable that i will have some.....but I'm looking to avoid it if at all possible...what do you use???

please be "VERY" specific with brand names too.....i'm very maticulous with my car and like to know what the current owners are using...

thanks for the input.

FUTURE Z OWNER

P.S. it will be the 6 speed GRAND TOURING Magnetic Black with charcoal or burnt orange seats and Navi!!
Old 12-27-2005 | 07:50 PM
ZZTopless

I use Meguiars Gold Class wash.

I have a flow-through boar's hair brush from Griot's garage for washing. I turn on the water and let it flow through the brush as I do a "pre-rinse". I turn off the water and soap up the car using the brush. I go through about 4 gallons of very soapy water with each wash.

I then rinse the vehicle by flowing the water over the car.

All of the above is done in the same order - top to bottom and front to back.

If I'm not waxing the vehicle, I use spray wax (also from Griot's), applied per the directions, while the vehicle is still wet. I dry using microfiber towels.

Some keys to preventing swirls:
- Use lots of water when washing the car
- Make sure you have plenty of everything you use in detailing, so you won't be tempted to use a towel that's a bit dirtier than it should be
- If you drop a towel on the ground, don't use it again until it's cleaned
- Clean all of your towels, washing accessories, foam pads - anything that touches your paint - thoroughly and promptly after use (be sure to NOT wash towels with fabric softener - all car care items are a separate load of laundry around here)
- Keep several good coats of wax on the paint - not only does this protect, but it also keeps dirt from sticking, hence making it less tempting to "scrub" your car

Hope that helps,

Jen
Old 12-27-2005 | 08:42 PM
ASTIG_Z

Use Meguair's Detailer Brand "last touch" quick detailer between washes!!!

http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek/meg...uch-spray.html
Old 12-28-2005 | 04:08 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZZTopless
I have a flow-through boar's hair brush from Griot's garage for washing.
I'm sorry but I can't imagine any kind of brush being good for the surface of your paint.

RayRey21:
The pros recommend a lambs wool or cotton chenille mit for washing.
Check out the post stickied at the top of this forum:

https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-and-detailing/37032-brad4rdhay-s-detailing-posts.html

It's a pretty good tutorial on how to detail your car.

Another good one can be found here:

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos/washhowto.htm

The ultimate source for detailing information is Autopia: http://autopia.org
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/AUTOPIA.EXE

It's an excellent source for any detailing questions you may have.
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:45 AM
RayRey21

Thanks dave.....I will keep this handy....
Old 12-28-2005 | 03:31 PM
ZZTopless

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I'm sorry but I can't imagine any kind of brush being good for the surface of your paint.
RayRey21:
The pros recommend a lambs wool or cotton chenille mit for washing.
I understand, and I was skeptical at first. I actually heard about it from my dad who is a "pro" (painting and detail work) - he bought one to use on his work van and was so impressed, he now uses it on everything including his gorgeous black 'vette.

Bottom line is, you're choosing something to rub against your paint - I think this works well because of the continuous water flow. The boar's hair is quite soft.

I've been quite happy with mine - not pimping for the company, just a satisfied customer. More info here: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10220

Anyhow, hope you don't take this as being argumentative... just trying to present a less-obvious and (for me) well-functioning alternative.

Jen
Old 12-28-2005 | 05:10 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Jen,

No, I don't take it as argumentative. In fact, I appreciate you sharing this info. Griots is fairly well respected in the industry and I doubt they would sell something that the pros felt was harmful.

Reading some of the posts about the boars hair brush on Autopia I see that it has it's supporters and detractors. There was a mix of people who reported marring and those that reported no problems at all. Some of the other comments are along these lines:

o If I was to use a brush on my car, that would be the kind I would use.

o The BHB is safe if the paint/clearcoat is hard.

o Not recommended for a heavily soiled surface.

o Lot of people use them on their wheels only.

The problem with the Z is that we have a relatively soft clearcoat. That would tend to keep me from using one.

I didn't see that anybody had tried the CD test on one. That involves rubbing the playing surface of a CD with the brush (or anything else you plan on putting on your car) then examining it to see if it leaves any swirls or micro-marring.

For me, it's like the Cali Water Blade, while a lot of people swear by it, I just don't get the "warm fuzzy feeling" about it so I tend to avoid those.
Old 12-28-2005 | 07:14 PM
ZZTopless

[snip]
o Not recommended for a heavily soiled surface.
[clip]

I didn't see that anybody had tried the CD test on one. That involves rubbing the playing surface of a CD with the brush (or anything else you plan on putting on your car) then examining it to see if it leaves any swirls or micro-marring.

For me, it's like the Cali Water Blade, while a lot of people swear by it, I just don't get the "warm fuzzy feeling" about it so I tend to avoid those.
I use the water blade (though not on the Z - not enough area where it's useful to make it worth my while), too - so I guess I won't be detailing your vehicles anytime soon, eh? (Hey, buy a new XTerra - blocky damn beast - the water blade will be your new bestest friend! :icon 38

I'll try the CD test for you - with wet brush as well as dry and let you know. (Not tonite, though...)

I would tend to agree with the comment about using it on a very soiled surface, though I'm not sure there's much of anything that makes the very soiled surface good for your paint! Maybe that should be a tip for avoiding swirls, too - don't let your car get really dirty!

Jen
Old 12-30-2005 | 03:25 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

I use microfiber towels, Zanio car wash and ionized water (Mr. Clean!).

To dry I use a Yard Machine blower and a microfiber towel for the remains.

Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, and Z-PC and a PC random orbital with monkey tail.

The dealership delivered it pre-swirled and I've gotten them off of the hood and roof so far with about eight hours effort.

Old 01-25-2006 | 11:50 AM
archz

My car is two weeks old, Black 06, when should I apply my first coat of wax since the car literally came from Japan only two weeks ago?
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:45 PM
halitosis

Originally Posted by archz
My car is two weeks old, Black 06, when should I apply my first coat of wax since the car literally came from Japan only two weeks ago?
Today. Just do not use so-called cleaner waxes or any polishers since you likely do not need this with a new car. It's never too early to wax thought. I get superior results with NXT wax from Meguire's. About $15 to $20 at your local Schuck's, PeP Boys, etc.

To the earlier questions, I use a microfiber mitt, rinse it quite often during the wash and use NXT auto wash soap. Detailing spray with microfiber towels helps to keep from swirling. Use microfiber! I wax about every 2 months.
Old 01-25-2006 | 01:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Your car came from Japan more like 3 months ago. But, in any case, yes you can apply wax immediately.
Old 01-26-2006 | 06:13 AM
archz

Your car came from Japan more like 3 months ago. But, in any case, yes you can apply wax immediately.
I ordered it with the Navigation system just two months ago and have been following up with the dealership almost every week until they told me it came into the port of Miami or Jacksonville or wherever just last Monday, anyway at least that's what they told me. Thanks for the advise!!
Old 01-26-2006 | 09:18 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Clay bar that thing before attacking it with your mitts.
Old 01-27-2006 | 05:35 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Clay bar that thing before attacking it with your mitts.
A must do thing! I do mine in early spring and before going into winter. The weather here in Albuquerque has been mild, so the spring claying is done.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 01-27-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2006 | 06:56 AM
freakishpower

lol it really matters whqat you wash your car with?
Old 01-27-2006 | 08:42 AM
gunser

OK....need to know what you use to wash your Z with....
1) I'd strongly urge you to use several dfTowels to wash your Z, fold them in half. I use three medium-small size towels, they are the BEST. They're also great for removing wax.

http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

Washing with a bigger towel allows you more surface area and you can fold the towel over if it gets the least bit dirty. I'm not a fan of wash "mits" beacuse they have a smaller surface area that will get dirty quicker.

2) Use 2 buckets, one with soapy water, and one with just water...after you've used a towel, dunk it in the water and rinse all the dirt off it. Then back into the soapy and onto the car. I always use cold water. Warm water could soften the paint, making it more prone to damage.

3) I like what ZZtopless says about having plenty of clean towels and supplies around so your not tempted to use a dirty towel. With a black car it only takes ONE mistake and then your swirled...

4) If you drop a towel on the ground, don't use it until it's been through the washing machine again...

5) Launder all your towels as soon as your done washing your car. Be sure to NOT wash towels with fabric softener - all car care items are a separate load of laundry. Be SURE to use liquid detergent, not powdered.

also would like to know what you use to dry it with (shamy, towels and such)....I am going to buy a black Z....
The Big Blue Drying Towel works great. Just lay it on the surface and it soaks up the water. I'd get 2.

http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

I have a garage and will be buying a car cover
I DON'T recommend you use a cover, especially for a black car. You have a garage, that should be plenty of protection. Contantly taking a cover on and off the car plus all the dirt that gets trapped under the cover is a bad combination, especially with a black car.

...however..I HATE SWIRL MARKS!!!
Another swirl avoidance tip: DON'T LET THE DEALER WASH OR WAX YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GIVE IT TO YOU. I'd ask them to let you be there when it arrives on the truck...

Get that Z home, give it a proper wash, and through a few coats of wax on right away. Keep a nice layer of wax on it all the times.

Since it's a new car with no existing swirlls, I'd really recommend Zaino for it's exra long lasting qualities...

http://www.zainostore.com/

But any wax will do the trick. The most important thing is proper care and technique.

Good Luck. You'll be fighting an uphill battle for sure, we'll all get swirls eventually, but you'll notice them sooner on a Black car.

P.S. it will be the 6 speed GRAND TOURING Magnetic Black with charcoal or burnt orange seats and Navi!!
Make sure to go with the burnt orange, you won't regret it!!! And be sure to post some pics!
Old 01-27-2006 | 09:38 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by RayRey21

WOW! Are you dedicated. Washing a car BEFORE you get it.