Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New Owner No Wash Yet!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:16 AM
New2350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Owner No Wash Yet!!!!!

So I bought a Redline 350z the other day and I am having trouble on deciding what products to wash, polish, and wax with. I think that most people are using Zaino but with over 30 products on there website I dont know which ones to buy. I think I am going with zaino. Some people say just buy a couple of them but I would like to get all of the ones that are neccisary to do the best job. I prob need to do a polish seeing that the dealer has washed it a couple of dozen times. It is a leftover 05. I want to do it right the first time so any info or product reccomendations would help out a bunch. I just don't want to forget a product or buy one that is not neccisary. So which ZAINO products should I buy for my first time ordering from them. Thanks alot guys.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the basic kit:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

It has everything you'll need to take care of your Z. If the numerous dealer washing have put swirls in the paint, then order a bottle of the Z-PC (polisher/cleaner). You'll need a random orbital buffer/polisher like the Porter-Cable 7336-SP.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Read this. It's by "you know who"

http://kahn.bol.ucla.edu/drbonz.html

Everything you need to know pretty much.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:49 AM
BlueBoxer

IF you want to wait for Zaino to arrive and do not mind the extra initial work. Definately pick up yourself a Porter Cable 7424 at a minimium and some high end microfiber polishing cloths. Do not go cheap on the washing mit or a nice boars hair brush. Most swirls are do to a poor wash, so go quality there first and foremost. The soaps I like most are Meguires Gold Class or P21S. If you rather not go Zaino, you can get similiar results with some basic counter products like 3M Swirl Remover for Dark Cars or Meguires Deep Cut for swirls. 3M Imperial Machine Glaze is sweet or Hand Glaze if you do not use a buffer. However, use a microfiber cloth with some detailing spray to help remove it, because they can be a pain if you let them haze too much. Wax products would be a nice liquid wax like Meguires NXT or High Tech Yello. Carnuba waxes I like are P21S and Blitz Grand wax, the latter is awesome since it will not stain your trim and comes off very easily.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:52 PM
New2350

So I ordered the zaino Kit and I cant wait till it gets here. Sooo you guys think I should get a Porter Cable 7424 for polishing???? I ordered the Z-PC and is it ok to apply with the Porter Cable? I dont want to buy it then read the directions to Zaino and have them say to apply it by hand. I simply just dont know!! Also I plan to get a Clear Bra installed. I imagine I should do the best Zaino job possible before I apply it. I think I may start a Thread about Clear Bra and zaino combined. Thanks guys. Any tips on where to order quaility polishing pads for the porter cable?? Any thing else??
Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't mean to be harsh but this entire forum is about keeping the 350Z looking good. Read, experiment, use what works, throw away what doesn't. Many of us here have be detailing cars for 30 years. If there was one best product, we would all be using the same thing.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:43 PM
BlueBoxer

Smile

I have about eight different waxes and polishes in my car and they all work to varying degrees, but none soo much more than another that I would stop using all others or throw them out. I have vehicles in different shape, colors and condition. Each product has its own strong points. Anything 3M and Meguires will suit most people needs just fine. However, I do love P21S and Pinnacle products as well. Yes, Zaino ispopular and well received, but there is no magic bullet or product.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
New2350

Originally Posted by davidv
Don't mean to be harsh but this entire forum is about keeping the 350Z looking good. Read, experiment, use what works, throw away what doesn't. Many of us here have be detailing cars for 30 years. If there was one best product, we would all be using the same thing.

Well, with the input of others I hopefully wont have to throw away toooo many things that dont work. I am here to learn from peoples past experiences not to buy stuff to see if it really works from an uneducated guess. I am greatfull for all of the knowledge that goes with 30 years of detailing a car that some of you posses and I hope to learn from that. I do also know that people have different opinions on different products. I dont however want to buy 8 different waxes and have my car be a test rat.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Dialn24

When I got my Z, I read quite a few threads on here and decided on getting the Zaino kit that was mentioned in the thread. Weather hasn't been great on the weekends (cold, rain, etc.), so I haven't been able to use it. It was finally nice out today, so I detailed my car this morning. I think it turned out great and wasn't dissapointed at all in the kit.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by New2350
Well, with the input of others I hopefully wont have to throw away toooo many things that dont work. I am here to learn from peoples past experiences not to buy stuff to see if it really works from an uneducated guess. I am greatfull for all of the knowledge that goes with 30 years of detailing a car that some of you posses and I hope to learn from that. I do also know that people have different opinions on different products. I dont however want to buy 8 different waxes and have my car be a test rat.

Like black, my problem is unique because my car is white. This requires hours of cleaning. I believe that the #1 factor is not the shine, but the cleaning. Members have posted excellent advise. If you do not want to jump into the complicated Zaino process, there are other suitable alternatives. You will develop you own technique based on product, time and technique.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:36 PM
lex350

Hey, I'm almost to 300.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David makes a great point. Most swirls result from the cleaning process, not waxing. Be sure and read as much info on washing and shampooing as possible. The "two bucket method" of washing will take you a long way towards minimizing swirls, which like all dark paints, are a major problem on red. Search on here to learn about it, or Google it, and you won't be disappointed.

While waiting for your kit to arrive, a great idea would be to download Autopia's free Guide to Detailing from www.autopia.org. It is chockfull of excellent, concise information.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
FLBigDaddy

Originally Posted by davidv

However, some of us have never detailed a car, so we look to the advice of people who have been doing it for 30 years as a starting point. For someone who has never detailed or washed their own car to run out and get armor all for the interior and dish-soap for the exterior with their terry-cloth towel would be a sin. So, calling on the experience of veterans is probably all they're doing.

I'm one of them, by the way ... hence my reading this thread in the first place. My new Z already has swirls on it from taking it to a "good" car wash, so I'm going to start doing it myself... and i'm reading on what you 30-year vets do to make sure my car looks as good as yours.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
New2350

^^^ +1 Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by FLBigDaddy
However, some of us have never detailed a car, so we look to the advice of people who have been doing it for 30 years as a starting point. For someone who has never detailed or washed their own car to run out and get armor all for the interior and dish-soap for the exterior with their terry-cloth towel would be a sin. So, calling on the experience of veterans is probably all they're doing.

I'm one of them, by the way ... hence my reading this thread in the first place. My new Z already has swirls on it from taking it to a "good" car wash, so I'm going to start doing it myself... and i'm reading on what you 30-year vets do to make sure my car looks as good as yours.
One of the best places to start is by going to http://autopia.org and downloading the FREE ebook "The Autopia Guide to Detailing". It will teach you all that you need to know about detailing then lots more. Over time, between there and here, you'll pick up the techniques and knowledge from the other members and be rewarded in the results you achieve on your own cars.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:17 AM
FLBigDaddy

I am pretty fortunate in that my friend owned a car and helicopter detailing shop for a few years .... he's serial-killer clean and **** retentive about his cars, and he's promised to help me detail my new car. I think he just wants a ride

I picked up that Mr Clean Pro series soaper/washer that is supposed to filter the water for a spotless air-dry. I also got their little kit that has a cheniel washing mit, a tire scrubber and a wheel cleaner too. I havent used it yet. Not sure if I will, but we'll see. I also got Meguiers (sp) soap, 2 buckets, another cheniel mit, some microfiber towels, and one of those "absorb" towels... so i think i have enough stuff to help me keep it clean during the week. I seem to need to clean the dirt and dust off at least twice a week since it's parked outside over night.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Do a search on the Mr Clean system and you might not want to use it on your Z. A couple of guys tried it and initially they were impressed. After a while, they posted back that it appeared to be dulling the shine. Apparently the chemicals leave a film on the surface.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
FLBigDaddy

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Do a search on the Mr Clean system and you might not want to use it on your Z. A couple of guys tried it and initially they were impressed. After a while, they posted back that it appeared to be dulling the shine. Apparently the chemicals leave a film on the surface.
Thanks Dave. Funny that you mentioned that, because after I used it the first time, I had this odd feeling like it was just a bad, bad idea. I have to wash her this weekend, and I'll probably just do a normal wash and dry and go from there.

I wish I had a few hours a week to spend washing it, but I dont. So i need to do the best i can