Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

CD Scratch test with various Microfiber Towels

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CD Scratch test with various Microfiber Towels

I decided to do a CD scratch test on several different easily accessible Microfiber towels
in hopes of finding one that really doesn’t scratch your paint.

I will list the name of each towel along with the results of a simple CD scratch test. The way I tested the towels was I took a brand new blank CD into the store and first used normal rubbing force (the amount of force I would actually use on my car) and then high rubbing force (rubbing the CD with the towel as hard as I possibly could) with the towel.

TARGET

Vroom branded Microfiber drying towel - Normal force, no scratches. High Force, very few light scratches

Vroom branded Microfiber polishing towel – Normal force, no scratches. High Force, few light scratches

Vroom branded Microfiber towel (cheaper ones that came in multipacks) – Normal force, very few light scratchs. High Force, noticeable amount of light to medium scratches

Vroom branded “100% cotton” diaper cloths – Normal force, medium amounts of light scratches. High force, sandpaper level like scratching.

Vroom branded “100% cotton” polishing towels – same as above

WAL-MART

I forgot what the brand was but I think they only carry one generic brand, the Microfiber towel was blue – Normal force, very few light scratches. High Force, noticeable amounts of light to medium scratches.

PEP BOYS

Meguiars Super Shine Microfiber towel – Normal Force, no scratches. High Force, very few light scratches.

Microgear Microfiber drying towel - Normal Force, no scratches. High Force, very few light scratches.

I only tested one towel from each brand/style except for the Meguiar one (which I was intending to buy). I tested 3 different Meguiar towels and they varied in quality even though they were the same brand/style; therefore, I can only assume that all the other brands had varying degrees of quality from one towel to the next (within the same brand/style).

As a side note I was going to buy the Meguiar towel but a worker at Pep Boys saw me testing the towels on a CD and said I couldn’t do that. I was like uh… are you serious? And he was like yes, so I promptly left the store and am planning never to go back. I mean what’s wrong with me testing the towels. I am not damaging, dirtying, opening/destroying any of the packaging. I for one refuse to use sandpaper to polish my car 
Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The only cotton towels I would trust are the Fieldcrest brand. I got several from JC Penney and tested them with the CD test and they passed with flying colors. I don't actually use them on my Z surface, only on the door jams, etc.