Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.
View Poll Results: CLAYING: Risky Hype -or- Clearly Better ?
not worth the risk (dont do it)
6.98%
cant miss (good stuff, when needed)
93.02%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

CLAYING: Risky Hype -or- Clearly Better ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Zriffic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLAYING: Risky Hype -or- Clearly Better ?

Regarding the lubricant that is used with the claybar. Have you guys/gals found something like water to work also -or- should I really spend the extra $$ to get this special "clay lubricant"?
When using the claybar I followed the instructions given by zainobros.com . They recommend you to use the zaino car wash mixture in a spray bottle to lubricate the area to be claybared.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:35 AM
SeanRod

I was a bit skeptical about using a Clay bar at first. I did not think that it would help with the shine. Man was I wrong! My LS looks awesome!!!
I think using a Clay bar is well worth the effort especially since it removes contaminants from the finish. I disagree with the comments made about not needing a Clay bar on new vehicles. It does make a difference. I hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Jumpman--Z

I'm planning to order the Zaino kit pretty soon. Should the clay be used before each application on Zaino?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You use clay on a new car because the car is absolutely filthy when it shows up at the dealer. I specifically had the dealership not touch / wash the car -- when I went to pick it up, all they had done was take the white plastic off the car. It was coated in road grime and it was caked on fairly thick.

You take the car home, wash it a couple times w/dawn, then do the clay bar. I used a spray bottle with water and car wash gel. You just make sure the surface is always slick and rub the paint with the clay. It takes off sticky stuff (like what the white plactic is stuck to the car with) plus other things like bug guts, tar, etc.

I had never heard of claying till I came here and met these nuts on my350z, but it's so easy, and so quick to do I highly recommend it. Just keep the surface slick and you're good to go.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:22 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you, or didn't you??

So lee, did you DO it?? How did it feel?? Are you satisfied??? Did you keep it lubricated????

I am taking about the clay, of course...
Old 02-24-2003, 02:31 PM
bunsell

Default finding clay

You can find clay at most auto parts stores. Clay magic and maguires claying kit are the most prevalent here in the Ancient City.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 PM
iris

Originally posted by Jumpman--Z
I'm planning to order the Zaino kit pretty soon. Should the clay be used before each application on Zaino?
i think the Zaino instructions say to do it whenever you can feel the grit/grime from surface contaminants in the car's finish. this can be anywhere from once every 6 months to once a year. so NO, not before each application. it does leave the car feeling silky smooth....
Old 02-24-2003, 04:47 PM
devaraj

I used the Zaino clay bar on my new Z as soon as I brought it home. The clay was very easy to use (with the Zaino car wash as lubricant) and only took a few minutes. The car came out looking fantastic, but there was very little contamination on the bar. I guess that my dealer cleaned it well before the delivery, although I specified that he could not put any wax or polish on it. Anyway, I highly recommend the clay before the initial Zaino polish application.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Jumpman--Z

Thanks
Old 03-08-2003, 06:54 AM
txpropo

I had my doubts about clay barring a car, thinking that it would damage the finish. But if you apply the water/wash mixture over the area it works great. It flows over the surface pretty smoothly its hard to believe its doing anything. It does take some time though 20-45 minutes depending on how thorough you are. After looking at the used clay bar, I'm glad I did it.

I know some car nuts (who all use clay bars on their cars) and haven't heard of anyone having issues with it.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:25 PM
J.T.'s 3.2TL

I already have several coats of Z5 and Z2 on my car but haven't clayed it yet. Should I wash with Dawn to prepare the surface for claying or will my normal car wash be good enough.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:15 PM
mb27

I am wondering this as well
Old 03-10-2003, 08:37 AM
stenoslave

Dawn doesn't remove Zaino. Just use your normal car wash. After you finish the clay procedure, it would be good to put another coat of Z-2 or Z-5 on and finish up with the Z-6 if you have it.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:25 AM
simstad

NEVER use a clay kit without a Quick Detailer type lube. You risk DESTROYING your finish. Most kits come with something to this nature. I recommend the Meguiars or Mothers kits. Always wear gloves when using a claybar kit also.

Mr. spiffy,

I have used Megiar's Quick Detailer/Clay for quite some time, but never with a glove. What is the purpose? Oils on hands? What kind of glove to use, Latex? or what?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 03-11-2003, 01:52 PM
ZGone

Another good source of info and products is www.properautocare.com. I got the Pennicle poly-clay kit and it turn the surface of my DB as smooth as glass. I then put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One, two coats fo Klasse High Gloss and finally a coat (now two) of Blackfire. Absolutely to the most awesome shine. Since we don't get a lot of rain out here it should last about 6 months, but time will tell.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:38 PM
bk_r0x

MrSpiffy --

Why not use a Latex glove?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:18 AM
iris

Originally posted by MrSpiffy
You're exactly right. The gloves are to block the oils and dirt that your hands may, and probably do have on them. I recommend a non-latex glove which fits fairly tightly.

.~Jeron
I also thought it was to prevent the bar from slipping out of your hands.

And like bk said, why non-latex? B/c some people are allergic to it?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 PM
CMJ

Originally posted by iris
I also thought it was to prevent the bar from slipping out of your hands.
I clayed my whole car and I can assure you the glove is a MUST HAVE, espec. on the fenders and bumpers. And I still did a couple of juggles but luckily I didn't drop it.

Quick Reply: CLAYING: Risky Hype -or- Clearly Better ?