Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino Rookie, first application

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
JMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Rookie, first application

I have been using Meguiar's NXT wax on my roadster since I bought it in July. But after seeing some incredible pictures of Z's after the Zaino process, I decided to make yet another investment in detailing materials to see if a full Zaino treatment would make a noticeable difference. I started Friday (I had a four day weekend) with:

1) Washed the entire car with Dawn dishwashing liquid.
2) Washed the car with Zaino car wash solution (Z-7).
3) Dried the car with my Toro leaf blower.
4) Wiped the excess water drops using a MF drying towel.
5) Claybared the car using the Zaino claybar (Z-18) and Mother's detail spray.
6) Applied Zaino Pro Show car polish (Z-5), let stand for 30 minutes, and buffed.
7) Applied Zaino Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer (Z-6)

All of this took about 3 hours.

On Saturday I mixed some ZFX Accelerator with one ounce of Z-2. Applied, buffed, and then applied more Z-6. Today, I just finished applying another layer of ZFX mixed Z-2 but this time used the Grand Finale (Z-8) to finish it off. Unfortunately today is overcast and I have a crummy camera so the pictures really don't do the final product justice. In person, there is a night/day difference in the depth of the shine as well as how the surface of the car feels. If one has the time to invest, I would highly recommend it. Additionally, let me put a plug in for FremontZaino whom I purchased my kit from. Hemant was responsive to my questions and was very easy to work with.

Last edited by JMT; 11-20-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 AM
nothingremains

that is way to much work, i need to pay someone to do all that
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work!

I just did a similar treatment on my Silverstone:

Z-5, Z-2, Z-5, Z-2, and Grand Finale (Z-8) to finish.

It looks great, and will stay strong through the winter months.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
JMT

Originally Posted by nothingremains
I feel your pain, it was a lot of work. But since I enjoy doing it, it was good quality time. Additionally, you don't have to wash it twice or claybar it before each application. But I wanted the initial application to start with a "clean" surface so I followed the directions on the Zaino website to the letter.
Originally Posted by gunser
Nice work!
Thanks. I saw your work on your website. That is the kind of "shine" that I was trying to achieve.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingremains
Chances are you can't afford to pay a professional to do that much and to do it right. Yeah, you can take your car to a "detailer" who'll charge you $100 but all they will do is wash it and put some cheap spray wax on it.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=JMT]1) Washed the entire car with Dawn dishwashing liquid.QUOTE]
Please don't tell me, I'm reading what I'm reading!!

I know we all have to learn, but please buy some proper car wash, whether it be Meguiars, Mothers or Zaino etc, etc. Ultimately it's far better for your paint and you are starting the layering process.

Looks good despite that.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
plumpzz

it gets easier and better. After the first few coats of the pink stuff, you can use Z8 and use the pink wax less often. I havn't waxed my car in 4 months and i just use Z8 to detail it after a wash. Still repels water better thana freshly laid carnuba.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 PM
JMT

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Please don't tell me, I'm reading what I'm reading!!

I know we all have to learn, but please buy some proper car wash, whether it be Meguiars, Mothers or Zaino etc, etc. Ultimately it's far better for your paint and you are starting the layering process.

Looks good despite that.
If you read the Zaino application instructions (bullet point #3), it says to wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the existing wax. I am not a rookie to detailing cars, just to the Zaino process. I always washed my car with Meguiar's Gold Class car wash prior to this weekend. Also if you read my post, specifically item #2, you will see that I immediately followed with a Z-7 wash.

Last edited by JMT; 11-20-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dawn is recommended as the initial starting point because it is an excellent degreaser. It is not something that is used regularly so there is no real damage to the paint.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 AM
skidmarq

Looks fantastic, welcome to the Zaino bretheren! It may be a lot of work, but it brings you closer to the car (literally and figuratively). Man, I'm a dork!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Moreorles

A couple of months ago, I broke down and did this same thing. In my opinion the time spent was not worth the end result. Yes it lasts a long time and looks great, but so do alot of other products that are alot easier to apply. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moreorles
A couple of months ago, I broke down and did this same thing. In my opinion the time spent was not worth the end result. Yes it lasts a long time and looks great, but so do alot of other products that are alot easier to apply. Just my 2 cents.
I beg to differ...I wash my car once a month and I love the results of zaino. Yes your doing a little bit more work but compared to other car care products (except meguiars nxt) I could tell a big difference on the effects that zaino produces on my Z. Not just me but I've had random people come up to me when I go out and ask me what I use on my Z and I tell them. I've been to car shows where I'm not even showing and my Z looks better then a couple of the other ones that are so called "washed and clean" lol (thats my opinion..and my girlfriends ) but you get my drift. But to each his own so if there's something that you think is easier to use and looks just as good or even better then zaino then congrats to you.