Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Shrink Wrap Residue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:34 AM
MonkeyBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shrink Wrap Residue

Wondering if any of you detailing gurus know the best way to remove the glue-like residue from car shrink wrap. Just had my Z delivered this morning from Dan Ziegler in New York and it has all of this crap on it. I definitely do not want to ruin the paint trying to get this stuff off.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Red350Z

A clay bar works great on that stuff! I grabbed a clay bar kit at Autozone and it worked just as well as the Pinnacle clay bar for about a third of the price. If you haven't already used a clay bar, you'll probably be hooked. BTW, the stuff at Autozone comes with clay lube (think it's called clay magic?)

Last edited by Red350Z; 03-25-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:37 PM
shaneotool

3M Adhesive, Tar, and Wax Remover works like magic. It comes in a aerosol can, got it at WalMart.

I had that sticker residue on my car for like a month, it wouldn't come off when I washed the car so I thought they were scratches. I got some of that 3M stuff to remove some road grime, and happened to spray it over the "scratches" and the wiped right off. Man I was happy, that stuff got off every funky looking mark on my car. You don't even have to let it stay on there for a minute like the can says, just spray it on and wipe it off.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:45 AM
MonkeyBoy

Update ....

Tried all of the methods listed ... thanks for your replies by the way. Unfortunately, nothing was able to get out this residue like material. From what I have been told, it had leached into the clear coat. Next step was wet-sanding the car. Done. Now, seems there are all kinds of pock marks on the car and a warranty claim is going to be put in to repaint the entire car.

I have had this thing only a week now. 4 days driving, 3 days at the Nissan dealership and now it needs to be repainted. What a crock of ****. On top of that, I have a clear bra installed by the dealer before it was shipped out here. Now I wonder if I will be able to get another put on, or if the same can be put on without too much damage. I have no clue. Regardless, this blows.