Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need help with WATER SPOTS PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 09:16 AM
iris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with WATER SPOTS PLEASE!!

Ok, I got home from SF last night. Thought I gave the Z enough time to cool down, and I couldn't stand all the dead bugs, so I washed it (no wax).

Brought it into the garage and saw all these damn water spots on the HOOD! Tried to rub them out with a damp rug - NO. Then tried Z-6 - NO. Didn't work! I am desperate!

Went on line and read the a vinegar/water solution will work. Please I NEED ADVICE - should I just wash it with Dawn or should I vinegar it? Also, is this seomthing I need to do right away or else the spots will stay? I am REALLY busy this week at work and don't know if I can make it home before dark, but I will wash it in the dark if I have to!!

Also, I have already read this thread about Water Spots but it didn't provide any conclusive answers about whether Dawn or vinegar would be better. The detail spray is NOT working for me.

Also: *sigh* if I Dawn it, does that mean I'm back at square one? Gotta clay it, etc. all over again?

*any thoughts would be appreciated, this is REALLY driving me crazy and ruining my day since I am totally obsessed about my car*
Old 05-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Quadry

Wash it with the Zaino car wash. That should work, without taking off the wax.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Blue Liquid

So you're saying the z-7 car wash will not leave water spots after drying? And can you air dry or do you need to use a cotton towel to dry to prevent the formation of water spots?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:23 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Iris,

I got my water spots out easily. Give it a dawn wash, then Z6 detail, and then apply a fresh coat of polish again (Z2 or Z5)..

You don't need to claybar, but you'll need a coat of zaino on there after your dawn it.

I just got back from a drive to vegas and need to get all the bugs off too.... but i'm not very motivated to wash her because I got REAR ENDED during my vacation. I was stopped at a red, and some nevada resident in an old piece of sh|t chrysler slammed into me.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:28 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zxsaint
.... but i'm not very motivated to wash her because I got REAR ENDED during my vacation.
Dude, very sorry to hear.

Iris, rewash her properly, dry and the spots should go away. Try to avoid washing in direct sunlight. If necessary, wax. Buffing out the wax will get rid of the spots.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:34 PM
iris

Originally posted by zxsaint
Iris,

I got my water spots out easily. Give it a dawn wash, then Z6 detail, and then apply a fresh coat of polish again (Z2 or Z5)..

I got REAR ENDED during my vacation. I was stopped at a red, and some nevada resident in an old piece of sh|t chrysler slammed into me.
thanks for the reply, and I AM SO SORRY. that really sucks.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Showcars

Iris:

There is no definitive answer, because it depends on what's on your paint (I'm assuming Zaino in your case) and what's in your water.

If there is Zaino on your car, have no fear - in the worst case, we take off the Zaino and the spots come off with it.

a wash with dawn will NOT strip the Zaino - we use Dawn because it cuts GREASE, and anyone who's ever followed a P.O.S. belching blue smoke will know that your car is always getting a grease job as you drive.

Vinegar & water will help dissolve the minerals in the spot. After wiping with vinegar, wash with Z-7 and inspect. If the spots don't come off, you can use isopropyl alcohol (which will remove your Zaino polish), then wash with Z-7 and re-apply your polish. Or you can buff with 3M perfectit (also removes Zaino) and wash with dawn (because 3M is very greasy) and re-apply polish.

Unless you have some NASTY chemicals in those spots, waiting a few days shouldn't matter.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:39 PM
GATORZ

Default 3M Finish Restore

Sold at all large auto parts stores. In the section with the body repair stuff. Black bottle with yellow and red label. This is the SH*T. I noticed that the brickyard shows spots on hood very easily if its hot and any water dries on it. Just rub it in by hand buff before totally dry and it helps with swirls to boot. I'm at 20+ coats of Zaino...but it has its limits. Good shine but thats it.

just my $.02
Old 05-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Kevin V

First try the Z-6, then white vinegar, then clay bar and if none of that work go on to the 3M. I've only had to use Z-6 to remove water spots since using Zaino. The water that got onto it may have had alot of contamination in it to be that stubborn. To increase the protection from water spots, bugs and birds is why I add extra coats of Zaino.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:56 AM
iris

Default OK, I washed with z-7 last night - didn't work.

I also don't think it was b/c I washed the car when it was hot - it rained in SF. I didn't think too much of it b/c I figured it wasn't as acid rain as it is in SoCal, since it rains up there more. But I guess there was all sorts of crap on my car from the 400 mile drive, so I'm sure that was it. And then my poor Z just sat there for 4 days....

I'm Dawn-washing tonight. And if that doesn't work, I'm going to vinegar it tomorrow night. Then the 3M.

I'm so picky - I didn't see the spots in outside light at 6 pm (still bright), but I saw it under the flourescents in the garage. It is driving me CRAZY.