Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Hardness of paint and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 AM
gebster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardness of paint and scratches

I have 2007 red 350Z. Does anybody know about the hardness or softness of the paint used on the 350Z. Is one prone to scratches more than the other one. It seems if I blink wrong, I get scratches. I have had other cars that were red and never had this type of problem. Is it due to the type of paint on the 350Z
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish I had a good answer for you.

I’ve read some descriptions that “the paint is soft in that it will scratch relatively easy, but hard in that those scratches are difficult to remove.”

My experience is that the paint is medium!

I’ve removed some scratches with my PC and different Menzerna polishes I’ve tried. And there are some scratches that are still plaguing my paint and will probably take a few more attempts to correct.

How are you washing and drying the vehicle now?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Nissan has be known to use a somewhat soft clear coat that is more prone to scratches than a typical German car. I don't have any exact figures but this is just from my experiences as a detailer and other detailers.

The best way to help prevent the addition of more scratches and fine swirls is to refine your washing and drying technique. Additionally make sure you are using some paint safe tools that will help minimize the chances of adding imperfections. To learn more about some product recommendations and proper technique I suggest you read our Detailing Guide or you can message me.

If you want to remove swirls you'll typically need a good set of polishes and a buffer. This process is actually quite safe and easy to do. If you want some information on how to do this please let me know and I can help explain what is involved.

Make sure you keep a good coat of sealant and/or wax on the paint to help protect the paint. This will also greatly help prevent the addition of new swirls.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
CosmoTiki

I was using a car cover on my Redline ZR thinking I was protecting the paint, but wound up putting a ton of micro-scratches in it, along with swirls from bad washing/drying technique.

There are many good products out there, and good sources of information. Some guys can mix/match their products, but like automotive paint, I like to stick w/ one mfg's products.

I found www.MeguiarsOnline.com and learned a wealth of info. Now, save for the stone chips on the front bumper, my car looks killer w/ no scratches or swirls after claying it then using Meguiar's M105 w/ a W8006 polishing pad and a dual action polisher followed by their NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (that stuff's incredible!)

You can get the same results by hand, but it will take you longer and will be pretty exhausting.

Good luck, and post some before/after pics!