Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Prepping my DB Z for CQ (scratches, etc.)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:15 PM
ChadO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping my DB Z for CQ (scratches, etc.)...

I'm buying CQ to try on my car, and I'm curious as to how I might be able to fill in the scratches prior to applying it? The instructional video said that CQ Wash filled in some scratches, but I'd like some opinions.

Any opinions on what I should do to prep my car for CQ? It hasn't been waxed/Zaino'd yet, so this will be my first full-length detail.

On a side note, what do all of you use to dry your Z? I bought a California Blade from Target that helps get rid of most of the water, but the horrible sound it makes as I run the blade across my car leaves me a bit uneasy. I usually follow up with one of those absorbers, also from Target.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
mgk65

I did not have too many scratches on my car before I used CGQ so I did not worry about it.

To dry my car, first, I make sure the water has poured off of it. I help it along by taking the hose without a nozzle and slowly move the water from the roof to the hood and then the sides. The water will sheet off and there will be very little water left.

I then use a large waffle weave microfiber cloth to go over the car. If one gets too damp, I use another.

My understanding is that with Zaino product Z5, there is better scratch filling. I'll find out this weekend.

mgk
Old 07-18-2003, 04:07 AM
BillR

To prep your paint properly, you should have an orbital polisher. So if you don't have one, try to get one.

Then using an orange polishing pad from Griots Garage and 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover, put some 3M on the pad and work about 1/4 of the hood moving the buffer in a figure 8 pattern. Work product until it all but disapears. Repeat on rest of car.

Then wipe of product w/ 100% cotton towel, wash car, apply CG and you should have STUNNING results.

This *does* require some time & effort, but you will be pleased with results

Word of advice; don't keep adding layer after layer of CG. It does build up, and if you apply too much, you will see a white haze over you paint which is too much CG.

More detailed info http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html
Old 07-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Zracer03

The California Water blade is fine.. It will make that sound, expecially on unwaxed cars, but it is not harming the paint, I love using it. As for the 3M Swirl Mark remover, it works great, however, I would NOT recommend using it on the entire car! Perfect It has a minor abrasive in it and slightly removes a portion of the clear coat, the more you use it, the more you will remove the clear coat. I love the stuff, it works great on spots that cleaning and wax simply can't remove, but I would never use it on my entire car.. Just my opinion.. I used it a couple of times on my spoiler of my other car, and it ruined the clearcoat and paint because I used to much, over too large a portion. Ive used it on spots on my Z, and it worked great, just not much.