Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Time for the 1st washing and I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:50 AM
sherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for the 1st washing and I have some questions.

I'm up to about 750miles, and I think it is time for the 1st complete washing. I have wiped it down and dusted it off regularly, but I have yet to break out the hose and the sponge. I seem to remember reading that while the car is still new it takes a while before the paint completely settles, and that washing it could cuase the paint to "swirl". Am I crazy, or is this correct. If so, how long am I supposed to wait. And do you guys think I should even worry about waxing it yet, or just stick with soap and water for the time?
Any advice would be apreciated
Thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 09:53 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Post in the Detailing Forum.

Thread moved.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:16 AM
noel48

By the time you get your car the paint is cured.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
peptidbond

Here are my washing tips. I am actually thinking of making a video about how to wash your car.

RULES THAT I FOLLOW:

1. If it does not need it, don't do it. Excessive washing or waxing will just increase the swirls/fine scratches. If the water beads and it is shinny, let that be enough. The fact is, not matter how clean you are, you will always cause swirls/scratches.

2. Always rub softly and in the direction that wind flows over the car. Do not rub in circles, ever.

3. Never, and I mean NEVER, use any paper product on the paint. Really, never. This also means, when cleaning the windows with paper towels, do not touch the B-pillar. It is painted black and the paper will cause instant swirls.

4. Buy two fuzzy mits. Keep them in zip-lock bags when dry and not in use. One is only for washing the top half of the vehicle. The other is only for the bottom half. They should NEVER touch the ground. They should also be replaced every four months. They will contain dirt you cannot see. It is not worth the wear on the paint, just pay the $8 and replace them.

5. Buy a small brush for the rims. Use soap and water. What that does not remove should be attacked with rim cleaner.

6. If the wax is still there, but not as shinny, just use some touch-up spray (I use Zymol detailing mist). This will, again, reduce the rubbing. Remember, only do as much as is needed and no more.

7. Don't spray ArmorAll or other interior cleaners on the dash or other interior parts. Spray it on the towel first. This has to do with the surface of the Z's interior more than anything else.

8. When soaping the Z, only use an automotive store soap. Dawn and other dish soaps will instantly strip the wax. Also, use lots, and I mean lots of water. It is a good buffer to protect against scratches.

I hope this helps. Again, they are my rules and nothing more. Some like to scrub their Z so that it is the shinniest car in the state, but I only do what is necessary to keep in looking nice and shinny. It does not have to be perfect. No one but you will notice anyhow.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No one but you will notice anyhow.
I disagree! If I had a dollar for every bug-eyed stare my car gets I could buy out Sal Zaino!
Attached Thumbnails Time for the 1st washing and I have some questions.-z-by-the-lake.jpg  
Old 07-18-2003, 07:56 AM
sherman

Originally posted by peptidbond

I hope this helps. Again, they are my rules and nothing more. Some like to scrub their Z so that it is the shinniest car in the state, but I only do what is necessary to keep in looking nice and shinny. It does not have to be perfect. No one but you will notice anyhow.
Thanks,
There are tips in there that I never was aware. I will never use a circular motion again when washing. Damn Mr. Miaggi and "wax on, wax off" teachings.