Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do I remove Super Blue brake fluid from my paint? Yes I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
OPTIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove Super Blue brake fluid from my paint? Yes I'm an idiot

My damn Motiv bleeder leaked a half dozen drops of ATE Super Blue brake fluid on my driver's side fender. I washed it a few times and tried Goo Gone and it's worked but I can still see it to some degree.

Yes I know brake fluid is awful for paint and I'm sure the clearcoat is eaten away in those spots (maybe).

Any ideas? I'd rather not have the fender repainted as it's my track car and I think right now only I would notice it, but it's pissing me off.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. I didn't realize it was dripping on the car until I went out the next morning. Not sure how I missed it while doing the brakes.

I might be swapping in speed bleeders (already did on one piston of one caliper) to do away with the Motiv.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
OPTIMO

****, can this be moved to Exterior/Interior?

My car is PPW by the way, which is why the blue brake fluid is such a big deal.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Is there contamination on the surface still? Have the marks etched in to the clear coat? If so how bad does it appear to have etched in to the clear coat?

Once I have that info I'll be able to better help you with your situation. Most likely we'll just need to clean and polish the surface, but I'll get in to that more later. Do you have a buffer or polishes already? If yes, which ones specifically.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 AM
OPTIMO

Greg,

Yes there is a bit of contamination (blue hue) on the top of the fender. It's faint but I can see it if I get fairly close. It has also etched into the clear coat. If I look very closely I can see the drip marks and where it ate away at the clear coat. There's still a bit of blue hue in the white paint as well.

I will get access or buy anything I need to do to fix it that doesn't involve me shipping me car to Wagon Work to have the fender painted. I also wouldn't mind waxing or polishing the entire car to make it look a bit prettier from all the track time lately.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by OPTIMO; 06-18-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I haven't dealt with this exact problem but here is how I would approach it. The first thing I would do is remove any remaining contamination from the surface (aka anything that should not be there). I typically start off with a thorough washing and usually a degreaser. Next I use a clay bar to remove some of the more stubborn but normal build ups (bug smear, brake dust, rail dust, road grime, etc.) I'm not sure if those two steps will remove what is left but it's possible. Now I would try some more aggressive steps like using the Stoner Tarminator or Mineral Spirits (found at any hardware store). These products do a great job of removing really stubborn build ups. I would soak a small section of a clean and soft cloth (preferably microfiber) and then hold it on the area for 1 - 2 minutes, then agitate the area carefully if needed. After this you should thoroughly wash the area.

The above steps were only to remove whatever is remaining on the surface and I started with the least aggressive steps and worked towards more aggressive solutions. Now we'll attack the etchings in the clear coat. Before I go to far I have few more questions. How deep is the etching (can you catch your fingernail)? Is it smooth? Do you have a buffer? If yes, which one and with what pads? If no would you be interested in learning more about some easy and safe to use buffers that will help your polish out the marks?

Once I have that information I'll recommend a combination of polishes that I think will best help you. We can also then talk more about some sealants/waxes that will optimize your shine and protection. Let me know what color you have and what are your detailing goals (shine, removal of swirls, protection, etc.)

Sorry for the numerous questions but the more detail you can provide the better I can tailor a solution to your needs.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I haven't dealt with this exact problem but here is how I would approach it. The first thing I would do is remove any remaining contamination from the surface (aka anything that should not be there). I typically start off with a thorough washing and usually a degreaser. Next I use a clay bar to remove some of the more stubborn but normal build ups (bug smear, brake dust, rail dust, road grime, etc.) I'm not sure if those two steps will remove what is left but it's possible. Now I would try some more aggressive steps like using the Stoner Tarminator or Mineral Spirits (found at any hardware store). These products do a great job of removing really stubborn build ups. I would soak a small section of a clean and soft cloth (preferably microfiber) and then hold it on the area for 1 - 2 minutes, then agitate the area carefully if needed. After this you should thoroughly wash the area.
I'll pick up the cleaning stuff tomorrow and clean it this weekend.

The above steps were only to remove whatever is remaining on the surface and I started with the least aggressive steps and worked towards more aggressive solutions. Now we'll attack the etchings in the clear coat. Before I go to far I have few more questions. How deep is the etching (can you catch your fingernail)?
I can't catch it with my fingernail but I can feel the edges of the etching with my fingernail.

Do you have a buffer? If no would you be interested in learning more about some easy and safe to use buffers that will help your polish out the marks?
I don't have one and I'm interested.

Once I have that information I'll recommend a combination of polishes that I think will best help you. We can also then talk more about some sealants/waxes that will optimize your shine and protection. Let me know what color you have and what are your detailing goals (shine, removal of swirls, protection, etc.)
I have a Pike's Peak White 350Z.

My goals for the Z? It's my track car, I daily drive the Mazda to work. I'd like to keep the paint looking nice but I know it will never be pristine since it sees ~1 HPDE weekend a month.

Open to suggestions. Keep in mind that my car budget goes mostly towards track pads/tires, so I'm looking for a more budget setup than something for a show car.

Thanks for your help thus far! I'll try and take some before and after pictures if I can get them to come out clearly.

Last edited by OPTIMO; 06-19-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Greg's advice....FTW!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
Greg's advice....FTW!
As always