Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Protection of Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
rockinbboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protection of Tires

So what do you guys do to protect your tires? I just got a new set of tires and used some eagle f1 tire shine on it. I read online that 303 protectant is actually good to use on it time to time and helps prevent dry rot?

source: http://www.teammiata.com/libs/tire_tech_facts.htm

Curious to see if anyone does this regularly and if the tire looks/feel/performs like new?

Rubber will age no matter what the hell you do to it. I been fine with my stockers and never felt they were bad or looked bad. I didn't also reguarlly use tire shine on them though. Just I want to hear thoughts from those who do this on a very regular basis.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 07-02-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't sling off. Gives a very good gloss. Easy to apply. Lasts a pretty long time.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rubber does well if driven. Poorly when sitting for extended period. UV protection is added in the manufacturing process. Dressing will not extend tire life its just superficial.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Tires will often brown and get a little dry rot if you regularly apply a silicone based dressing. I much prefer a water based product that can actually be absorbed in to the tire and nourish it. Silicone based dressings often look more glossy but it sits on top of the rubber and is far more likely to sling on the paint. For protection the 303 Aerospace Protectant is in a league of it's own. It does a fantastic job of preventing UV rays from fading the surface and keeping the rubber in top notch condition. It leaves a nice matte finish that makes the surface look darker, but not overly glossy. If you prefer more gloss but want a water based product try the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright. It's great for the tires and looks really dark and glossy.

Another big tip is to actually clean the tires every so often. By removing contaminants and road grime you'll open up the pores of the rubber. Typically I'll spray some degreaser on them and give them a light scrubbing with a soft brush. I use a 3:1 dilution (water to cleaner) mix with the Poorboy's World Bio-APC to keep my tires clean. Let me know if you have any other questions about these products or anything related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
SpecC

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z

Doesn't sling off. Gives a very good gloss. Easy to apply. Lasts a pretty long time.
i've had some terrible experiences with this product!

I would recommend 303 aerospace protectant though. Anything with plastic, rubber or vinyl needs this on it
Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I do is clean my wheels/tires with tire/brush and soap+water. I set it off with CG Trim Gel on the tires, which is amazing.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Lento

Costco sells those 4 packs of spray on wheel shine for a pretty good price.

It's 3 tire gel cans and 1 wheel cleaner spray. I have been using these for the past 3 years on all different types of cars and they work great. You just have to wipe off the over spray on your rims when you apply it.

It lasts a good amount of time too, and can take water from rain and puddles without washing off.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
chicagokid

I actually use 303 on the tires too. It's great for Z convertible tops and tires.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
BlueBoxer

I posted a dressing comparison a few weeks ago, been moving into the new house and a ghost every since, but it might give you some good ideas. I just got the Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel and really like it. Really nice shine without sling like the Meguiars NXT. The Chemical Guys VRP or Natural Shine are another couple great products you should give a try. If you are looking for cost effective over the counter stuff with a matte finish, it is hard to beat the Nascar tire protectant.