Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car cover or no cover? Why and which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:39 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car cover or no cover? Why and which one?

Soon my Roadster will be here and this raises a question in my mind.

Should I cover the Z when I won't be driving it for a while? (Like when it SNOWS).

I do not have access to a garage.

So, is it better to let the car get snowed on (and thus snow brushed off of it)? Or would it be better to buy a good cover and cover it in bad winter weather?

If you recommend a cover... which one is best? (by best I mean least damaging to paint).

If you post an opinion please post WHY you have your opinion. Thanks!

AndyB
Old 08-26-2003, 10:03 AM
MrGraphics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my sister in PA has an older Supra that she had in Florida before moving back. The car was mint before she brought it to PA (she's like me, monthly waxing, always clean etc.) She only had a one car garage, so she covered it and left it outside all winter.

After 2 winters, because the snow would lay on the cover, slightly melt when sun came out, re-freeze, then have the wind whipping the cover, etc. - she had sections of the clear coat completely worn away.

On the other hand, I had a Honda Accord that was never covered, drove it around all winter, but kept it waxed. Never had a clear coat problem, and it still looked fantastic 6 years later.

Draw your own conclusion. But either way, that soft top is history.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Duke407

That's funny!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:10 PM
AndyB

Default Snow

Well, if it snowed on the cover I would brush the snow OFF of the cover.

I am not planning on ignoring the car all Winter. Mostly I was hoping not to swirl the paint by cleaning snow off of it. Also, I can't really drive it until the street are plowed since the clearance underneath is fairly low.

But thanks for the warning.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:26 PM
Duke407

Default Re: Snow

Originally posted by AndyB
Well, if it snowed on the cover I would brush the snow OFF of the cover.

I am not planning on ignoring the car all Winter. Mostly I was hoping not to swirl the paint by cleaning snow off of it. Also, I can't really drive it until the street are plowed since the clearance underneath is fairly low.

But thanks for the warning.
you may want to consider throwing a tarp of some kind over the car cover itself, so that you wouldn't have to necessarily remove all the snow from the rag top portion of your car. It may sound crazy, but with me growing up in Wisconsin and living there for 18 years worth of bad winters, I've learned a few things.------------or you can just move to the south like I did?!?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:34 PM
AndyB

Default Re: Re: Snow

Originally posted by Duke407
you may want to consider throwing a tarp of some kind over the car cover itself, so that you wouldn't have to necessarily remove all the snow from the rag top portion of your car. It may sound crazy, but with me growing up in Wisconsin and living there for 18 years worth of bad winters, I've learned a few things.------------or you can just move to the south like I did?!?
Well, we do get snow in Connecticut, but I don't think it is to the same degree as Wisconsin!

Most snow here (with the occaisional exception of a blizzard) can be pushed off with a snow brush. The key here is to get it off of the driveway and the car BEFORE it partially melts in the sun and then re-freezes as ice.

In truly cold areas, snow stays fluffy. Here in CT (particularly along the cost) it slowly morphs from fluffy powder to a icey solid state as it partially melts and refreezes.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM
mydogscool

Default car cover

I currently use the Nissan one and am very happy with it. I bought it because it was the only one available as I have one of the first pre-ordered Z's. I also own a brand new unused covercraft (Noah) fabric, which I understand is quite good also. It keeps the bird crap off real good.