Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Just finished my first Zaino.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:04 PM
bshockley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished my first Zaino.

Wow, I haven't worked that hard in weeks. I am exhausted. Of course, it hasn't rained here in months, and today it's a freaking thunderstorm. So, half my work was done in a poorly lit garage. But, from what I can tell she is looking great.

I'll see more tomorrow.

Here are my steps (standard):

First, took of dealership emblem on the back (hairdrier worked great). Then used a little WD-40 to easily remove the goo left.

Then washed the entire car with dawn.

Then took a clay bar to it, lubricated with water/little bit o dawn mixture. BTW - for those of you who haven't tried a claybar, I was skeptical, but it really did make her much much smoother and this is on a 3 day old Z (born 4/03).

Then re-washed with dawn in the rain.

Dried in the garage with towel. (100% cotton USA of course)

Applied Z-1. (I wasn't sure if I was doing too much or too little, it never quite hazed, but felt kind of slick, so I think i was ok. Again I was in a poorly lit garage.)

Applied Z-2. I don't notice any swirl marks or scratches in my paint and I have really looked. So, no Z-5 for me. Again, I think I was doing the right amount like Z-1, but not for sure.

Waited about 1.5 hours, took of Z-2 and then applied Z-6.

She's purdy.

I have to go outta town tomorrow, and won't be back till Saturday evening, at which time, weather and energy permitting I will apply another coat of Z-2 and Z-6. The Z will be garaged that whole time.

Here is a question. Obviously for intermitten washing I don't want to use dawn. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the car between Zainos? Z-7? Anything cheaper?

I'll get picks asap.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 PM
sparky3Z

Use Z-7 wash. No more Dawn unless you want to start over from scratch. Use Z-6 detail spray in between for minor touch-ups.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are using the Z-1 instead of the ZFX (for your first layer only) you probably should have let it dry longer than 1.5 hours, especially if it was wet/humid outside.

Make sure that if you are chosing to not use the ZFX in your Z-2, you let the car sit overnight (or at least 8-12 hours) to cure on the car. Unless you live in Arizona where it is very dry.

Of course if you go with the ZFX, you'll only need like an hour or so to let it dry.

Finally, use the Z-7 for your washings. It is made especially for us Zaino users.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:12 PM
SungNamZ

Started using Zaino on 8/15/2003. It gets easier with each application! Don't rule out using Z5 now and then. I have applied 5 coats of Z5, plus put on my 9th coat of Z2 tonight. Save yourself some time, get some ZFX. Listen to Dr Bonz!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:33 PM
bshockley

OK, I will be sure and let it set a little longer. I tried wiping my finger accross it and if it streaks it's not ready. It didn't streak, but I dunno. She is going to be sitting in the garage for about 48 hours before I even touch her again, after which i will try another coat of z-2 and z-6. I'll give it a little more time on the second coat then.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Be careful, even sitting in the garage for 48 hrs, the car will collect dust. Hit it with a car duster before putting on more polish. Don't want to drag those dust particles all over the paint.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:29 AM
Conceyted

by the way, I recently used dawn to wash the eclipse before it got sold. I couldn't notice if the wax was gone or not? So, I am driving home with my dad, who came to help me bring my car and give me a ride home and I mentioned to him the dawn theory. He said he washes his car with dawn EVERY time and he waxed a little over a month ago. I told him, "that isnt good you know." And he didn't believe me, so we are driving home and all of a sudden it starts pouring. He turns to me, "Hey chris, if dawn takes all the wax off my car when I wash with it, why is the water beading all over the car? I just shut up and shrugged.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:38 AM
haanz

I believe that water will bead on any clean surface. So, just because the water was beading doesn't necessarily mean that the car still had polish on it.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Conceyted

I washed with dawn, I had not waxed the eclipse in over a year (BAH I KNOW!) Anyways, Fully clean the water DID NOT bead off of it. So that is not true, wax makes water bead off of a car. It might not be the only thing that makes it bead, but it does and so far is proves the dawn theory wrong.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM
sparky3Z

I'm not sure it proves it wrong. Your car hadn't been washed in a year and your dad's car had been waxed in between Dawn-washes. I suspect his paint may be in better shape than yours and therefore beads more even with no wax.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Conceyted

my car hadn't been WAXED in a year. I washed the car every weekend.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:56 AM
sparky3Z

Sorry, my mistake. Even so, I still say his paint will be in better shape because of his waxing and the polishing effect that it would give on the paint even if the wax gets stripped off by washing with Dawn.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Conceyted

well, you might be right. But, to throw another factor in, he drives litterally 100 miles for every mile I drive. His car was in worse shape than the gsx. I just know what I have seen. Before waxing our cars the water does not bead. We do it about once a year. He had maxed it about a month ago and I hadn't waxed mine yet. He had also washed it with dawn 1-2x after the waxing and still has all of the effects of the wax being on.
BTW what is rear underbody diffusers?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:40 AM
sparky3Z

I see your point.

"Rear underbody diffusers" is the official name Nissan gives to the Track model's air deflectors that go behind the rear wheels. It's part of the Track's stock aero package, but for some reason not offered for the other models with the aero option. They're supposed to help smooth out the airflow underneath the rear at higher speeds.

The way I drive, I probably don't need them, but they didn't cost very much from Courtesy Parts and I thought, why not.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Conceyted

can you link me please?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Tell your dad to wax his car, squirt water on it and measure the size and height of the beads. "good" beads are very small and "tall". Then have him wash thoroughly with Dawn and do it again. The beads will either be gone or much wider and "shorter"
Attached Thumbnails Just finished my first Zaino.-2beads-.jpg  
Old 08-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonz,

I love that picture of the water beading.

Did you take it?
Attached Thumbnails Just finished my first Zaino.-waterbeads.jpg  
Old 08-29-2003, 01:38 PM
rouxeny

Scaf, you prove again that you have WAY too much time on your hands.

I can't imagine how many times Bonz has wished he had never posted that pic.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Conceyted

how long did that take you! copy paste copy paste must have taken 15 minutes!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:46 PM
sparky3Z

Default Conceyted

In response to your request for the rear underbody diffuser parts link, I have posted a new thread in the Body/Exterior forum so others can benefit.

Here's where I bought mine:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Quick Reply: Just finished my first Zaino.