Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

best place to buy detailing supplies

Old 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default best place to buy detailing supplies

Guys,

If you are looking for a website that has a lot of great products and info on detailing, take a look at autogeek.net. I am in no way affiliated with this site, I am a big fan of it and just wanted to share it as a good resource for anyone who has the patience to detail their own car.

The first thing I would recommend in getting is a Port Cable 7424 Variable Speed Polisher. Pick up one of these and get a couple different types of pads. If you have no experience with a porter cable, I HIGHLY recommend have some show you how to use it and either use it on another car or on a body part from the junk yard.

Feel free to post up any questions you may have, I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by dikspiel; 02-05-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autogeek.net is great, Ive placed a few orders there. Some others that I would recommend...

Detailed Image: a vendor here.
Miglior: a vendor here.
Topoftheline.com: Wide variety of supplies with some great prices, especially on applicators.
Rubbish Boys: for those products you cant find in the US. Great prices also, and very good customer service.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
BlueBoxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autogeek.net and detailedimage.com are my favorites. I like Collinite waxes, and they are sometimes hard to find, but autogeek has a good assortment of waxes. DI carries chemical guys, dodo waxes, and Optimum which are other great lines along with Menzerna polishes. Plus they give us the forum discount.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
TheOtherRob

^ And daily specials!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I'm a big fan of Zaino (www.zainostore.com) for long term protection, they suggest you not use a porter cable to apply the wax since it can be wasteful and Zaino is quite expensive. Spending 5 hours doing 2-3 coats every 6months is a great way to keep your paint in show worthy shape.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't think I've ordered from Autogeek.

Always been too satisfied with Detailed Image
Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
1cleanz

detailersdomain also has a lot of supplies including the swissvax line of high end waxes. they also carry some others things autogeek and other vendors dont have.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by dspiel@m1autosport
I'm a big fan of Zaino (www.zainostore.com) for long term protection, they suggest you not use a porter cable to apply the wax since it can be wasteful and Zaino is quite expensive. Spending 5 hours doing 2-3 coats every 6months is a great way to keep your paint in show worthy shape.
Ive used the ZPC for light correction, but they don't have a wax that I know of. I believe they only sell sealants for protection Z2 and Z5. Their Z6 and Z8 detailing sprays are awesome. Another company you may want to give a try is fk1usa.com for their pink wax, and the fk425 spray.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

sorry i was talking about z2 and z5 when i said wax
Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i have bought from a lot of the websites already mentioned. ie zaino, autogeek, detailed image, detailers domain. i've even bought from the classified sections of autopia. but i wanted to add some of the best deals i've gotten were from classic motoring accessories. http://www.classicmotoringaccessories.com/
its a good site for a beginner to start buying from.
and imo Zaino masks/fills swirls it doesn't correct them. good stuff still and its had a lot of good reviews esp. on this forum but I'll stick with my pc and my polishes. i've found though that you save wax and or sealant by using a pc and a gray or green pad.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.fk1usa.com/

I like to order my favorite fk1 425 by the gallon. Can't get enough.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
BlueBoxer

FK is nice stuff, I have used Zaino in the past and was pleased with the results, over time I have personally decided that I can get as good or better results with less work and expense. Plus it seems a lot of people have trouble using Zaino efficiently, a traditional polish, sealant, wax combo might be better for the typical user.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Autogeek.com does some good deal everyonce in awhile if you're on their email list. I've also heard good things about: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/index.html
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
k6750gsxr

www.properautocare.com ... ask for phil he will hook you up....
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 AM
dada

These sites have so many options, sealers, degreasers, how does one know what to get? Can someone design a cost effective simple system for my 08 350z? I have aftermarket wheels.

Please help.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 AM
TheOtherRob

There is not one simple answer for your question. I suggest that you sign up on autopia and do some reading and find what's best for you. I can give some ideas depending on what you do with your car such as daily driver, show car, ...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autopia has articles that will explain everything to you. It's a bit raw at first, and can get overwhelming.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
dada

Ok thanks, Im going to do some reading then revert back for some suggestions. I drive the car mostly on freeways and park in an open lot during the day Garaged at night. Very little rain or snow driving (I use my other vehicle for that). I have the carbon silver exterior and leather interior with machined lip wheels.

Name:  DSC_2233.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  184.8 KB

---------------------------------
UPDATE-read a bunch of articles, wow there are so many products its overwhelming.

Im old school, used to my car wash, sprayway for glass, and zymol for the paint. Never used any clear coat, pre-wax or other similar products so forgive me Im also leary of these so called "clear-coat safe" products. Isnt it true that if a polish/wax is good for ANY paint, it is good for clear-coat paint (clear-coat paint is just paint without pigment)? No magic, just paint that will scratch, oxidize and peel like any other paint if mistreated.

Are these companies coming up with a way to try to sell you yet another bottle to put on your shelf. Yet another trip around your vehicle wearing you and your paint out quicker than necessary.

I really need your help guys because what I have learned to keep my paint finish in reasonably good condition is simply to:

1. Wash
2. Polish the paint to remove fine scratches/haze/oxidation (once or twice a year or as needed)
3. Wax to protect the finish and enhance the shine.

Maybe Im not doing it right. Are these extra paint cleaners they recommend really needed? Arent you basically cleaning the paint in the steps above I assumed that if one one has very badly damaged or oxidized paint will you need more steps or more products. Only then do you get into more aggressive compounds or even wet sanding, followed by several steps of lighter compounds and then polishes? Arent additional mild cleaning step in the basic process for finishes in good condition overall, is just "make-work" and trying to get more money from you?

So im maybe very old school, never used so many products. But If you guys can help I would really appreciate it.

What I would like is a good system that is cost effective with a wash, tire gel, wax, interior leather and plastic cleaner and for glass and anything else you think I need. I have a wash sponge and a bucket and some detailing cloths, some leather cleaner and conditioner spray bottles I bought at Costco, and McGuires car wash and wax- thats it. HELP PLEASE EDUCATED ME ON WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING TO KEEP MY CAR NEW (I JUST GOT IT).

Last edited by dada; 02-13-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 AM
TheOtherRob

Well the one thing that you have to determine is whether or not your paint needs to be polished. You have to use a orbital or rotary buffer to remove defects in the paint. Now, you can either buy yourself a buffer and some pads, and polish and do it yourself. Or you can pay someone in your area to polish the car. Just for a buffer and some pads your going to be between 210-300.

Now, if you don't really need a polish, then you can just buy some clay to clean the paint and then maybe use a cleaner wax followed by a sealant and then a wax or lsp. Here is a good method to use when the time comes:

1. Wash the car with Dawn soap (this will remove any other wax on the car)
2. Clay the entire car with a spray lubricant
3. Wash the car again to remove and clay on the paint
4. Go over the paint with a cleaner wax to further remove contaminants and help prep the surface.
5. Use a sealant since your car is driven alot and is out in the weather
Depending on what you buy, you can layer on the coats to retain a higher gloss and shine.

I would recommend the Zaino car kit. Zaino makes very good products that you will not be disappointed with. If you buy the whole kit you will get a clay bar, car wash, z5, z2, z6 detailing spray, applicator, and some other things like tire gel...

With the z5 and z2, you can layer them after the given amount of cure time. And use the z6 or z8 sprays in between the coats. Zaino sealants are known for great durability. I put two coats on my Z when I first got it, and it was still beading water off four months after. I then added some other waxes that I wanted to try so I cant give you the time it took for it to wear off. But the Zaino kit will def get you going with some great products that will yield great results.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
dada

Thanks Rob ur the man. The Zeno Car Care kit does seem like the way to go, but it doesnt include the z8 spray, do you think I need that? And what about the lubricant, what should I use?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best place to buy detailing supplies