Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dull finish

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
gebster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dull finish

I have a 2007 roadster, red in color. Paint had that pop to it. I put a coat of mequiers wax on it. After removing the waxing the paint seemed to have dull finish. Still had some swirls. So I used some swirl removal, light to medium cut then i used a finishing polish. Still had that dull look could even be worse. When your outside in the sun it is not so dull. Cloudy or in the garage it has that dull look. Any Help
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you using a proper buffer with those swirl removers? if not, there is your problem.

Even if you put wax on dull paint, the paint will still be dull.

Try using a clay bar to get rid of all the wax you put on there and then use a buffer to buff out the swirls. then use a finishing polish to bring back the shine, then you can wax to seal everything in.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
BlueBoxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you apply the products in direct sunlight or to a warm surface? If you have anything more than light swirling you will have a very difficult time correcting the paint by hand, you can add some gloss and wetness via a nice finishing polish and wax, but will never have great clarity and that perfect shine by hand. Invest in a Porter Cable, it is one of the better investments you can make when it comes to cars. Paired up with some premium polishes like Menzerna or even store stuff brands like 3M will yield much superior results.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using polish requires a steady amount of pressure and heat to obtain maxium results. This can be acheived by an orbital(preferred method)/rotary buffer. You might be referring "dullness" to haze which requires a finishing polish again applied by a buffer.

As for more swirls, I agree with the post above; were you applying the products in direct sunlight? If so, defintely a "no no". When it dries on applicator, it basically becomes a moving sand paper.