Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiars Swirl X

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM
DBTre50z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars Swirl X

I posted a while ago and read some of your suggestions about removing swirl marks on my Z. A few weeks later I had some time so I ran out to autozone and picked up a bottle of Meguiars Swirl X for I think 10 bucks or something similar. After applying it to the trunk area and roof it clearly cleaned up 95% of the swirls. The product is great and gives my car the mirror like reflection back. I applied it with my Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 foam applicator and gave it a final wipe down with a 100% cotton t-shirt.
Also my dog had jumped up on my sisters honda civic and put these large and very noticeable scratches down the side of the door. After applying the swirl x the marks seem to have disappeared. They arent even noticeable in the sunlight at different angles. Note though that the scratches weren't deep. I wish I had some before-after pics but I can show you how the paint on my Z looks now. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great, I think I'll grab some.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review. I'll try it on my FX.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hrmm... most reviews ive read say that this stuff doesnt work at all.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
sinister350z

Originally Posted by Nexx
hrmm... most reviews ive read say that this stuff doesnt work at all.
Did you just read what he posted?!!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Dark8lue

^^^lol
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister350z
Did you just read what he posted?!!!!!
yes dumb dik, i did. i was just very surprised that it worked since most reviews seem to give this product 4 thumbs down. swirls are very hard to remove, most products that claim this without have to use a rotary simply cover up the swirls.

Last edited by Nexx; 10-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

@ dumb dik
Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
@ dumb dik
+1
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hydralisk

looks great, i dont see why meguiars would come out with a product if it didnt work...

some people....
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
shaun123

what Nexx is saying is that there are two ways that one can attack swirled paint. You can fill them in with a glaze (temporarily hide them) or you can level the clearcoat, thus permanently removing them by use of a compound or polish. Since it is virtually impossible to remove layers of clearcoat by hand because you cant move your hand fast enough to create the friction needed to do the job and since the scratch-x was applied by hand, the swirls must have just been covered up (filled in).

This would mean that this a temporary fix and soon, through washing and the elements, the fillers will diminish and the swirls will reappear. I am not arguing that the pictures of the car do not look good, because it does look decent. I am just saying that dont expect this to last forever because within a few weeks the swirls that were covered up will reappear.

If you have swirls in your paint, you should fix the problem not the symptom if they bother you. This means to quit frequenting the automatic car washes or revamp your washing technique. Use the two bucket method, grit guard and a sheepskin wash mit(or grout sponge) and wash from top to bottom with a good soap that produces enough lubrication so your wash media easily slides across the surface.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Well said! +1
Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun123
what Nexx is saying is that there are two ways that one can attack swirled paint. You can fill them in with a glaze (temporarily hide them) or you can level the clearcoat, thus permanently removing them by use of a compound or polish. Since it is virtually impossible to remove layers of clearcoat by hand because you cant move your hand fast enough to create the friction needed to do the job and since the scratch-x was applied by hand, the swirls must have just been covered up (filled in).

This would mean that this a temporary fix and soon, through washing and the elements, the fillers will diminish and the swirls will reappear. I am not arguing that the pictures of the car do not look good, because it does look decent. I am just saying that dont expect this to last forever because within a few weeks the swirls that were covered up will reappear.

If you have swirls in your paint, you should fix the problem not the symptom if they bother you. This means to quit frequenting the automatic car washes or revamp your washing technique. Use the two bucket method, grit guard and a sheepskin wash mit(or grout sponge) and wash from top to bottom with a good soap that produces enough lubrication so your wash media easily slides across the surface.
You are 100% right.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
GT-Z

Looks Good!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun123

Good post. The basics are the most important in avoiding swirls in the first place. I did the cardinal sin in purchasing my car at night in 07 and noticed the next day that my car looked like it had been through a meat grinder. Maybe thats why i got such a deal lol.. I might give swirl x a shot before i have to paint the whole car..
Old 10-13-2009, 01:28 PM
shaun123

Good post. The basics are the most important in avoiding swirls in the first place. I did the cardinal sin in purchasing my car at night in 07 and noticed the next day that my car looked like it had been through a meat grinder. Maybe thats why i got such a deal lol.. I might give swirl x a shot before i have to paint the whole car..
if you try out the Meguiar's scratchx and it doesnt yeild decent results, for a little while, then give a local detailer a call before repainting your car. If you lived nearby I would be able to completely renew your paint for a few $100 whereas a decent paint job will cost $2k+. Using a rotary or even a PC polisher can work miracles on paint.

Should look into it. Would be more cost effective and you could spend the extra $$$ on mods
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

In my experiences Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 - 7 oz is a good polish to use by hand for very light surface imperfections. It does help remove oxidation and some of the very light swirls and faint scratches. Certainly a buffer and M105 and M205 will get rid of more imperfections, but that is a far more involved process. They did just revise the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 - 7 oz formula and the new version we carry does work even better than the original.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Sweet jeezus! I've got a few swirls on my white Z which normally don't bother me since it can barely be seen, but now I think I'll try this stuff just for peace of mind. I'm sure I could use it on my other cars.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
hersilverbullet

If you apply it right the Scratch X or Swirl X will do the job. I think they came out with the Scratch X to be used with the porter cable for easier application. Meguiar's has a clinic every Saturday out here in Cali at their headquarters and this stuff really does work. Adams swirl and haze remover works well too.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
DBTre50z

Well after some heavy downpours and a wash, the swirls have yet to show again so i guess ill see soon whether or not what some of you guys claim.

Quick Reply: Meguiars Swirl X