Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Overspray from body shop? Do I claybar myself or let them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Gigi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overspray from body shop? Do I claybar myself or let them?

Ok. Just got my ZR back from body shop and I was careful not to Zaino the bumper or fender that they painted. (bumper replaced/fender fixed) Just keep getting conflicting reports if it's ok to Zaino yet or not till the paint cures. (car four weeks old, four weeks down)

My problem is that they said they covered the car, but I have overspray all over the trunk, on one third of one wheel and one third up from the bottom of the car next to the wheel. Nothing they had to touch. The parts they painted have swirls in it in the sun. Plus, there is a tiny, tiny dimple in the paint on the fender they fixed. (said best not to replace fender because it was welded to the car)

Now they said; #1 they covered the car...bull #2 they said they hand washed it. (I told them before I picked it up not to run it through a car wash or I would wash it myself) then why swirls.

I had about four coats of Zaino on before it went in. Should I trust them or do it myself. They said they would fix it by claybaring it. I just feel like they should fix it, but I want it done right. They rest of the car (Super Black) looks great, no swirls,etc...

If this was your car what would you do?

Old 11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
FlaPhil

I was thinking about what I was going to say until I read your last line "If this was your car what would you do?"

I'd clay it myself. Chances are once they got finished with claying it, they'd hit it with a buffer and *voila* more swirls!

Chances are, they buffed out their paint job causing the swirls in the newly painted surfaces.

I hate to hear about these kinds of issues.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they didn't do it right the first time, what makes you think that they will do any better the second. I agree that they *should* fix it but, I would do it myself if I were you.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:33 AM
BillR

I had same issue w/ my wifes IS300. LOTS of overspray. DO NOT let the body shop do it. They will likely try to "fix" the problem as fast as possible - a high speed buffer! Then you'll have buffer marks.

Do what I did, just clay the car. It only took about an hour and the results were 100% perfect. Then re-zaino. You'll be fine.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:40 AM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overspray is a bummer!!!

I had an issue with the clearcoat on a front quarter panel on my old 2003 Z coupe. The paint shop did not cover any of the car when they re-clearcoated the quarter panel. They had clearcoat overspay on the entire vehicle. I picked it up from the dealer, notice the windows had a slight haze to them. I turned on the wipers and it sounded like sandpaper. They took it back to remove the overspray. It was better, but they can never remove it completely, even with claybar(I tried). It still had overspray on it the day I traded it in.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Gigi

I wish I didn't just read that post. I am so freakin bummed. I baby'd this car sooooo much. I was set on removing it myself with a claybar, but now I'm afraid if I mess with it and it doesn't come off they will say they couldn't get it out because I touched it. I feel stuck between a hard place and a rock.

Last edited by Gigi; 11-28-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Dissolved

Claybar removes overspray. It will come out GIGI don't worry. Overspray on glass can be removed with a razor, or with paint thinner. Clay bar works too. Hell, if you're near Delaware PM me and I'll help you clay on my day off
Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Gigi

Thanks, Pure Tremble! I appreciate that.

I am probably going to attempt it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out. The autobody shop said they would give me a few free oil changes at the dealer if I do it myself.

Thanks again for the offer.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Gigi

OK...I did it!!!! I used the claybar today and "shazam" the overspray is gone. It didn't even take that much effort. The body of the car came off very easy. The rim I had to work at but it's off.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions!

Hail to the mighty Zaino claybar...