Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

For those on the fence about clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:26 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those on the fence about clear bra

I have had my clear bra on for about 15 months now and feel pretty good I have had it, I have gone to the track where it gets pretty rough, just stick your hand out and if there are cars in front your hand gets sand blasted, I also have felt pretty good on the highway behind trucks and knowing the clear bra is saving the finish.

But this week I really found the reason I am glad I have it, I was driving up I95 in Palm Beach county and from the back of a pick up a can of soda comes flying out and in slow motion I see it comes towards me and with no where to go I just yell out some obsenities as I see and hear it hit the car for the next few miles I am imagining the damage.

When I get out I see it hit the passenger's side fender where the clear bra is and it damaged the bra but did not touch the paint, I have a warranty but even if you had to pay to replace that small piece it would be cheaper than fixing and painting the fender.
Attached Thumbnails For those on the fence about clear bra-img_0307.jpg  
Old 12-20-2003, 01:52 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that's a testimonial! Glad there wasn't any damage.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 PM
350zdanny

A testimonial would be looking at my bumper. I'm in NJ and it's pit marked to hell.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:22 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah My bumper is a minefield as well. I need a clar bra bad. Maybe after I get my Nismo kit....
Old 12-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a clear bra on my other car, but i need to get one on my Z, fast!
Old 01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
scubasteve

Can you put the clear bra on any bumper. I am putting a NISMO kit on my car and want a clear bra for it. are they specific to certain vehicles or universal application? Also, how much do they cost?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:18 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by steven.krohn
Can you put the clear bra on any bumper. I am putting a NISMO kit on my car and want a clear bra for it. are they specific to certain vehicles or universal application? Also, how much do they cost?
If the guy is good he can put it on anything.

If it is not a standard bumper they can start with an uncut piece and custom fit, for that I would expect to pay around 500-600 just for the bumper, but make sure the guy is good and gives you a firm price before hand and not an hourly rate.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:30 AM
2003z

and make sure the guy doesn't cut the pattern on the car. My guy does a pattern with tape and paper, then transfers it to computer and has a plotter cut the film.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 PM
mikey384

Originally posted by 2003z
and make sure the guy doesn't cut the pattern on the car. My guy does a pattern with tape and paper, then transfers it to computer and has a plotter cut the film.
I almost went this route yesterday with store #1 for my Z after looking at some clear bra work done for the local Lexus dealer until I saw the work done by store #2 who does the "custom fit" instead. Store #2, recommended by the local Porsche dealer, told me about the disadvantage of the laser cut and going with the custom fit. I liked their work and went the custom fit route..total cost: $500. Custom fit looks MUCH better IMO since the laser/plotter cutting can leave 1/2"-1" space/seam, say with the headlights, still leaving paint vulnerable to rocks! Plus they did a good job with the cutting. Three places I initially called all talked about using the product from Canada (Richochet), the thicker material than 3M.

Either way, always see the work an installer does and visit 2-3 different installers and decide for yourself. Call your local high-end dealers (Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, exotics) and see who does their work.

Last edited by mikey384; 01-23-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I agree, many of the kits on the hood leave an edge around the side and front of the hood, my guy wraped the edges under the edge of the hood so the only line you see is the one going from side to side in the midle of the hood.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 AM
2003z

Originally posted by westpak
I agree, many of the kits on the hood leave an edge around the side and front of the hood, my guy wraped the edges under the edge of the hood so the only line you see is the one going from side to side in the midle of the hood.
same with mine, www.dynashield.com All edges wrapped , and he was even able to do my veilside lip!
Attached Thumbnails For those on the fence about clear bra-350zflashcard.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Brian0523

Default Can you wax over it?

Originally posted by 2003z
same with mine, www.dynashield.com All edges wrapped , and he was even able to do my veilside lip!
How do you wax the hood of the car where the bra doesn't cover? Can you see a difference, where the bra ends and the freshly waxed paint begins?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:46 AM
2003z

Default Re: Can you wax over it?

Originally posted by Brian0523
How do you wax the hood of the car where the bra doesn't cover? Can you see a difference, where the bra ends and the freshly waxed paint begins?
I just zaino it all. There is a slight difference in the finish of the bra and the paint, but you can't see it from more than 2 feet away, and the new llumar film is even more opticaly pure than the 3m. You can't see the bra from more than a foot away with that film.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 AM
theSmoothDome

My installer, Enrico at Modern Image in San Diego (I should toss him a plug), used the laser cut kit on mine, and no, the edges aren't wrapped. I noticed the edge immediately, but it's in no way 1/2-1 inch. It's more like an 1/8 of an inch at it's widest point. I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of someone taking a razor blade near my car. Of course now I'm wondering how long it'll be before one lucky rock catches the unprotected edge.

Even so, I'm very happy with the job Enrico did. I've heard horror stories of installers cutting just a little too deep and catching the paint. I've also heard that some of the wrapped jobs begin to unwrap in time, so I guess there are advantages to the kits as well.

Just as an FYI, he was just finishing a bra for a Nismo kit that was there when I arrived. Looked great, so he got my business on the spot.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 02-08-2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I just got the fenders and hood replaced and not a mark where that hit was, I wish I could clear bra the whole car.

I don't think the edges of the clear bra will unwrap, mine was on over a year and it didn't unwrap, plus if you saw how much force it takes to remove the clear bra you wouldn't believe that it will unwrap. They just say that so people wont feel bad they do not have the wraped edges.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:40 PM
theSmoothDome

They just say that so people wont feel bad they do not have the wraped edges.

LOL...Now I feel bad.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 02-08-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by theSmoothDome
LOL...Now I feel bad.
Sorry about that, I think it is also a matter of how much work they want to do, they probably have a set price to be competitive and doing the wraped edges is almost a custom job and takes a little more time, as long as the hood is protected is what matters.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Brian0523

Default Off Topic

Sorry about that, I think it is also a matter of how much work they want to do, they probably have a set price to be competitive and doing the wraped edges is almost a custom job and takes a little more time, as long as the hood is protected is what matters.
This is way off the topic here, but what wax are you using on the blue z? Looks fantastic.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:18 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Off Topic

Originally posted by Brian0523
This is way off the topic here, but what wax are you using on the blue z? Looks fantastic.
ZAINO!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Reese

I just got the fenders and hood replaced and not a mark where that hit was, I wish I could clear bra the whole car.

I don't think the edges of the clear bra will unwrap, mine was on over a year and it didn't unwrap, plus if you saw how much force it takes to remove the clear bra you wouldn't believe that it will unwrap. They just say that so people wont feel bad they do not have the wraped edges.
Hey Westpak, are all your edges wrapped, or just the front edge of the hood? That is the only place mine is wrapped and oh yes that lucky rock has already found the uncovered edge of the bumper. I also have a rock chip on the roof already, oh well **** happens i guess.

Quick Reply: For those on the fence about clear bra